Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

Default Husky in Alaska

To think, this cute little bugger might have been mine. I think these may be more demanding than Rick's dog Riley though, and I would have my hands full with a dog with 50x the energy that I have!!

“You know the world is going crazy when the best rapper is a white guy, the best golfer is a black guy, the tallest guy in the NBA is Chinese, the Swiss hold the America's Cup, France is accusing the U.S. of arrogance, Germany doesn't want to go to war, and the three most powerful men in America are named "Bush", "Dick", and "Colin." Need I say more?” - Chris Rock

2. Thanks Kathianne thanked this post
    Likes Kathianne, NightTrain, NT'sGirl, SMTA liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

“You know the world is going crazy when the best rapper is a white guy, the best golfer is a black guy, the tallest guy in the NBA is Chinese, the Swiss hold the America's Cup, France is accusing the U.S. of arrogance, Germany doesn't want to go to war, and the three most powerful men in America are named "Bush", "Dick", and "Colin." Need I say more?” - Chris Rock

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

And here's Psycho aka Riley when she was a littler pup on a play date!!

16473579_10212114694521399_7745554556708442148_n.jpg

5. Likes NT'sGirl liked this post
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    139 Post(s)

Yeah man - I tell ya....When I get rich like Rick or You I think I need to create and run a no-kill shelter/farm. I cannot imagine ever being without dogs around me.

7. Likes jimnyc liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dmp View Post
    Yeah man - I tell ya....When I get rich like Rick or You I think I need to create and run a no-kill shelter/farm. I cannot imagine ever being without dogs around me.
    That's my dream, to own my own zoo and shelter a million animals from death. I want them all.

9. Thanks darin thanked this post
    Likes darin liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    201 Post(s)

Huskies make fine pets. They're really just a Heinz 57 of different dog breeds and every musher has their own 'secret recipe' for the ultimate mix.

The trick to getting them to love to pull sleds hundreds of miles is they are not allowed off their chains to simply go roam around - they're only allowed off when they're pulling a sled, so naturally that's the most fun thing they know and they look forward to running. There is nothing better as far as they know, and they lust for the trail.

But if they're allowed to run around and lounge in the house and go for boat rides & car rides like normal dogs, they realize that pulling sleds isn't much fun at all, and so are reluctant sled dogs. Pull the harness out with a dog like that and they begin sulking.

It's the exact same phenomena for prisoners picking up trash beside the highways. You can either sit in your cell all day, or go out in the sunshine and pick up garbage and they choose picking up garbage.
    Last edited by NightTrain; 07-14-2017 at 09:38 AM.
    Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum

11. Likes jimnyc, Kathianne liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by NightTrain View Post
    Huskies make fine pets. They're really just a Heinz 57 of different dog breeds and every musher has their own 'secret recipe' for the ultimate mix.

The trick to getting them to love to pull sleds hundreds of miles is they are not allowed off their chains to simply go roam around - they're only allowed off when they're pulling a sled, so naturally that's the most fun thing they know and they look forward to running. There is nothing better as far as they know, and they lust for the trail.

But if they're allowed to run around and lounge in the house and go for boat rides & car rides like normal dogs, they realize that pulling sleds isn't much fun at all, and so are reluctant sled dogs. Pull the harness out with a dog like that and they begin sulking.

It's the exact same phenomena for prisoners picking up trash beside the highways. You can either sit in your cell all day, or go out in the sunshine and pick up garbage and they choose picking up garbage.
    I mentioned to Diana that I love them, and would still want one. She said they are Alaskan dogs and can't be in the NY weather. True?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    201 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jimnyc View Post
    I mentioned to Diana that I love them, and would still want one. She said they are Alaskan dogs and can't be in the NY weather. True?
    They'd handle the weather just fine. They adapt just like humans do to the environment, and besides, you said you keep your room cool year round with air conditioning so there'd always be that sanctuary for it.

We had a friend years ago who took one of our Malamutes (who have a much thicker coat than huskies) to Louisiana and she did just fine there. She was a bit miserable for a while and cuddled up to air conditioners before she adapted, but probably no more miserable than I would have been at first.

The bonus for you is that when you get snow, the husky would be thrilled to go play in it as opposed to your Chihuahua.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

They'd handle the weather just fine. They adapt just like humans do to the environment, and besides, you said you keep your room cool year round with air conditioning so there'd always be that sanctuary for it.

We had a friend years ago who took one of our Malamutes (who have a much thicker coat than huskies) to Louisiana and she did just fine there. She was a bit miserable for a while and cuddled up to air conditioners before she adapted, but probably no more miserable than I would have been at first.

The bonus for you is that when you get snow, the husky would be thrilled to go play in it as opposed to your Chihuahua.
    Sweet, gonna show the woman this thread, and now I have it in writing in my texts that it would have been ok to steal one of them.

Hmmmmmm..... wonder how costly they are down this way? What is the specific breed? Just "Alaskan Husky"?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    201 Post(s)

Sweet, gonna show the woman this thread, and now I have it in writing in my texts that it would have been ok to steal one of them.

Hmmmmmm..... wonder how costly they are down this way? What is the specific breed? Just "Alaskan Husky"?
    I doubt you'd find legit husky sled dogs down there.

If you're serious about it, we can investigate and see how much to buy one would be from one of the Iditarod kennels in the area. Air shipping to NYC would be a couple hundred bucks I imagine.

16. Likes jimnyc liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    66 Post(s)

Well this thread isn't about what I thought it would be about...

I thought it would be po tunes of Jim...

Husky in Alaska...

The dog... Not Jim... Got it...
    Last edited by hjmick; 07-14-2017 at 10:59 AM.
    "I am allergic to piety, it makes me break out in rash judgements." - Penn Jillette
    "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with a lot of pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
    "The man who invented the telescope found out more about heaven than the closed eyes of prayer ever discovered." - Robert G. Ingersoll

18. Likes jimnyc liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

I doubt you'd find legit husky sled dogs down there.

If you're serious about it, we can investigate and see how much to buy one would be from one of the Iditarod kennels in the area. Air shipping to NYC would be a couple hundred bucks I imagine.
    Hell, I'd be curious, the price of the dog and shipping and everything. If reasonable....

Hell, I'm prepared around here to spend about 3k for a French Bulldog. If I can do much cheaper.... I may even take the leap without permission and gladly take the beating!!!

20. Thanks Abbey Marie thanked this post
    Likes Kathianne liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    201 Post(s)

Spending $3k on a dog is nuts.

I'm sure we could find a puppy for a few hundred bucks... certainly under 1k. I don't know for sure, though, as I've never asked.

22. Likes jimnyc liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

Spending $3k on a dog is nuts.

I'm sure we could find a puppy for a few hundred bucks... certainly under 1k. I don't know for sure, though, as I've never asked.
    Hell, I'm dead serious too. This is easily the closest I got to having the wife's permission! I LOVED those pups. And they grew smaller than I pictured, just perfect little bastards!! Now I really want one!

24. Thanks Kathianne thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    181 Post(s)

Hell, I'm dead serious too. This is easily the closest I got to having the wife's permission! I LOVED those pups. And they grew smaller than I pictured, just perfect little bastards!! Now I really want one!
    Just make sure it won't eat or even bother Nero. I won't stand for that!
    After the game, the king and the pawn go into the same box - Author unknown

“Unfortunately, the truth is now whatever the media say it is”
    -Abbey

26. Likes jimnyc liked this post