Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)

Default Crime Or Not, Appearances To Have Consequences

Looks like Congress doesn't want to be labeled pro-Russian and seems determined to keep some controls. For the time being I'd expect that they could get super majority if there is a challenge by the President, but not so sure it would hold up down the road:

http://www.nbcnews.com/politics/cong...moscow-n785576

<header class="row_article article-header article_max" style="box-sizing: inherit; position: relative; max-width: none; margin-left: auto; margin-right: auto; border-top: none; padding-top: 1.125em; margin-bottom: 1.125em;">Congress Reaches Deal on Russia Sanctions Bill to Punish Moscow

by ASSOCIATED PRESS

</header>

WASHINGTON — Congressional Democrats announced Saturday that a bipartisan group of House and Senate negotiators have reached an agreement on a sweeping Russia sanctions package to punish Moscow for meddling in the presidential election and its military aggression in Ukraine and Syria.

Rep. Steny Hoyer of Maryland, the No. 2 House Democrat, said lawmakers had settled lingering issues with the bill, which also includes stiff economic penalties against Iran and North Korea. The sanctions targeting Russia, however, have drawn the most attention due to President Donald Trump's persistent push for warmer relations with President Vladimir Putin and ongoing investigations into Russia's interference in the 2016 campaign.
    Passage of the bill, which could occur before Congress breaks for the August recess, puts Congress on possible collision course with Trump. The White House had objected to a key section of the bill that would mandate a congressional review if Trump attempted to ease or end the sanctions against Moscow. But if Trump were to veto the bill, he risks sparking an outcry from Republicans and Democrats and having his decision overturned. The sanctions review was included in the bill because of wariness among lawmakers from both parties over Trump's affinity for Putin.

"A nearly united Congress is poised to send President Putin a clear message on behalf of the American people and our allies, and we need President Trump to help us deliver that message," said Sen. Ben Cardin of Maryland, the top ranking Democrat on the Foreign Relations Committee.

The review requirement in the sanctions bill is styled after 2015 legislation pushed by Republicans and approved in the Senate that gave Congress a vote on whether then-President Barack Obama could lift sanctions against Iran. That measure reflected Republican complaints that Obama had overstepped the power of the presidency and needed to be checked by Congress.

According to the bill, Trump is required to send Congress a report explaining why he wants to suspend or terminate a particular set of sanctions. Lawmakers would then have 30 days to decide whether to allow the move or reject it.

Last edited by Kathianne; 07-22-2017 at 03:56 PM.

"The government is a child that has found their parents credit card, and spends knowing that they never have to reconcile the bill with their own money"-Shannon Churchill

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

If I were him, which I'm sure as shit not!, I would gladly let it go and simply sign it and STFU. Russia meddling and fiddling around, and any accusations about Trump are 2 different things.
    “You know the world is going crazy when the best rapper is a white guy, the best golfer is a black guy, the tallest guy in the NBA is Chinese, the Swiss hold the America's Cup, France is accusing the U.S. of arrogance, Germany doesn't want to go to war, and the three most powerful men in America are named "Bush", "Dick", and "Colin." Need I say more?” - Chris Rock

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jimnyc View Post
    If I were him, which I'm sure as shit not!, I would gladly let it go and simply sign it and STFU. Russia meddling and fiddling around, and any accusations about Trump are 2 different things.
    I agree. I still think if he'd just said, "Great, any queries about Russia get referred to the special prosecutor," he wouldn't have the problems he does now. What could have helped the administration got worse because he wouldn't stop. Now all this 'Can't we just pardon all?' to get rid of the investigation? Looks supremely guilty.

"The government is a child that has found their parents credit card, and spends knowing that they never have to reconcile the bill with their own money"-Shannon Churchill

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kathianne View Post
    I agree. I still think if he'd just said, "Great, any queries about Russia get referred to the special prosecutor," he wouldn't have the problems he does now. What could have helped the administration got worse because he wouldn't stop. Now all this 'Can't we just pardon all?' to get rid of the investigation? Looks supremely guilty.
    I think he'll take things farther when he's personally being spoken of, or especially being lied about. But I couldn't imagine him doing anything with this, considering it carries neither, just protecting American elections.
    “You know the world is going crazy when the best rapper is a white guy, the best golfer is a black guy, the tallest guy in the NBA is Chinese, the Swiss hold the America's Cup, France is accusing the U.S. of arrogance, Germany doesn't want to go to war, and the three most powerful men in America are named "Bush", "Dick", and "Colin." Need I say more?” - Chris Rock

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

Seems like they will get and are aiming for the super majority, and then any worry about Trump vetoing will go out the window. I don't think he would have anyway, but I think showing the world and Putin that all are on board is better anyway.

---

Trump Facing 'Veto-Proof' Support for Russia Sanctions

Two U.S. senators said on Sunday they believe that legislation that allows for new sanctions against Russia would pass with enough votes to override any potential veto by U.S. President Donald Trump.

Republicans and Democrats reached agreement on legislation that allows new sanctions against Russia, Iran and North Korea in a bill that would limit any potential effort by Trump to try to lift sanctions against Moscow.

"I think (it) will pass probably overwhelmingly again in the Senate and with a veto-proof majority," Senator John Thune, a member of the Republican leadership, said on "Fox News Sunday."

Rest here - http://www.newsmax.com/Headline/thun.../23/id/803277/

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

White House: Trump Will Sign Russia Sanctions Bill

President Trump intends to sign the recently-passed bill imposing new sanctions on the Russian government, the White House said. The bill includes provisions that give Congress the right to review any changes to the sanctions proposed by the administration and block them.

Though the bill passed both the House and the Senate with veto-proof majorities, Anthony Scaramucci told CNN Thursday that Trump may veto it to "negotiate an even tougher deal against the Russians." Friday afternoon, the White House press office issued a statement indicating the President would sign:

"President Donald J. Trump read early drafts of the bill and negotiated regarding critical elements of it. He has now reviewed the final version and, based on its responsiveness to his negotiations, approves the bill and intends to sign."

https://townhall.com/tipsheet/jennif...-bill-n2361840