Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Solar Activity cannot account for recent warming trend

Here is a snippet from a recent paper on how solar activity cannot account for the recent warming trend:

There are many interesting palaeoclimate studies that suggest that solar
    variability had an influence on pre-industrial climate. There are also some
    detection–attribution studies using global climate models that suggest there was
    a detectable influence of solar variability in the first half of the twentieth century
    and that the solar radiative forcing variations were amplified by some mechanism
    that is, as yet, unknown. However, these findings are not relevant to any debates
    about modern climate change. Our results show that the observed rapid rise in
    global mean temperatures seen after 1985 cannot be ascribed to solar variability,
    whichever of the mechanisms is invoked and no matter how much the solar
    variation is amplified.

The entire paper can be found here:

http://www.pubs.royalsoc.ac.uk/media...pa20071880.pdf

Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    139 Post(s)

Except on Pluto:

http://web.mit.edu/newsoffice/2002/pluto.html

(shrug).

Man-caused/made Global warming = Myth perpetuated by Big Industry to steal BILLIONS in tax and other dollars.
    “… the greatest detractor from high performance is fear: fear that you are not prepared, fear that you are in over your head, fear that you are not worthy, and ultimately, fear of failure. If you can eliminate that fear—not through arrogance or just wishing difficulties away, but through hard work and preparation—you will put yourself in an incredibly powerful position to take on the challenges you face" - Pete Carroll.

Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    139 Post(s)

More on Solar Activity Major Cause of Earth's warming:
    http://www.lewrockwell.com/miller/miller21.html
    “… the greatest detractor from high performance is fear: fear that you are not prepared, fear that you are in over your head, fear that you are not worthy, and ultimately, fear of failure. If you can eliminate that fear—not through arrogance or just wishing difficulties away, but through hard work and preparation—you will put yourself in an incredibly powerful position to take on the challenges you face" - Pete Carroll.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I am bereft of science knowledge but it seems to me that:

1. The Sun has been around for a while and (I don't know) it seems to me that it's been in a fairly stable state (give or take sunspot activity) for much of the time that life has been on Earth.

2. Given that (if it's correct of course) then the only variable of any consequence on Earth in terms of climate change has to be human activity as we are the only animals who have both adapted to various localised climates on Earth and have ourselves changed localised climates on Earth. Some primates might be able to start a fire to keep themselves warm but I've never heard of it.

3. If humans have been around for, say, a hundred thousand years and in that time haven't done much to contribute to climate change then that might be because we as a species were in insufficient numbers and we didn't have the technology to produce the factors that cause climate change.

4. But in years since the Industrial Revolution we have had the technology and we have used it.

5. If the signs of rapid climate change are detectable from about the beginning of the Industrial Revolution and show increased effect as we have industrialised around the globe then I reckon that's good enough for me.
    "Unbloodybreakable" DCI Gene Hunt, 2008

Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    139 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by diuretic View Post
    I am bereft of science knowledge but it seems to me that:

1. The Sun has been around for a while and (I don't know) it seems to me that it's been in a fairly stable state (give or take sunspot activity) for much of the time that life has been on Earth.

2. Given that (if it's correct of course) then the only variable of any consequence on Earth in terms of climate change has to be human activity as we are the only animals who have both adapted to various localised climates on Earth and have ourselves changed localised climates on Earth. Some primates might be able to start a fire to keep themselves warm but I've never heard of it.

3. If humans have been around for, say, a hundred thousand years and in that time haven't done much to contribute to climate change then that might be because we as a species were in insufficient numbers and we didn't have the technology to produce the factors that cause climate change.

4. But in years since the Industrial Revolution we have had the technology and we have used it.

5. If the signs of rapid climate change are detectable from about the beginning of the Industrial Revolution and show increased effect as we have industrialised around the globe then I reckon that's good enough for me.
    Ya just can't cherry-pick facts like that.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dmp View Post
    Cherry-picking? How is it cherry-picking?

It's just an outline of my thinking on the subject. By all means rebut it.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

More on Solar Activity Major Cause of Earth's warming:
    http://www.lewrockwell.com/miller/miller21.html
    "onald W. Miller, Jr., MD" - I'm fairly certain that "MD" means medical doctor. I don't think they teach climatology in Medical School.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Except on Pluto:

http://web.mit.edu/newsoffice/2002/pluto.html

(shrug).

Man-caused/made Global warming = Myth perpetuated by Big Industry to steal BILLIONS in tax and other dollars.
    That's an interesting claim but you haven't a shred of evidence to back it up.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

On the other hand, you could be like dmp, and not use facts.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SpidermanTUba View Post
    On the other hand, you could be like dmp, and not use facts.

"Facts? Facts? We don't need....." ah, everyone knows how it goes

Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    139 Post(s)

That's an interesting claim but you haven't a shred of evidence to back it up.
    I've got LOTS of evidence to back it up. Do you care?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I've got LOTS of evidence to back it up. Do you care?
    Yet you can't produce a single piece of it. Unless you expect me to believe that a medical doctor is somehow qualified as an expert in the fields of climatology or geology.

Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    139 Post(s)

Yet you can't produce a single piece of it. Unless you expect me to believe that a medical doctor is somehow qualified as an expert in the fields of climatology or geology.
    But you won't question what the Medical Doctor wrote - you'll simply harp on his Degree eh?

lol

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

But you won't question what the Medical Doctor wrote - you'll simply harp on his Degree eh?

lol
    If the good doctor is outside of his discipline then what particular expertise can he claim? If you are making an appeal to authority best to make it to an authority in the discipline in question.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

lol

I didn't read what he wrote, he isn't qualified to make a expert opinion on the global climate. His opinion on the global climate is worth no more that yours is, or any schmo on the street.