Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    164 Post(s)

Default Non-Intros From Introductions

Quote Originally Posted by Ricky Tavy View Post
    Yeah, that was me. Haven't done any writing on that for some weeks now.

I know a few Brits. None of them ever explained to me that when elections end there, everybody just shuts up and stops criticizing the winning opposition. You learn something new every day. Of course, I understand that over there the winner is determined by the person who gets the most votes. Lastly, it has been awhile since you have had to deal with a bull goose looney for a leader. George V?
    OK, happy to clarify things for you, then ...

More often than not, the British public just accept the result of an election. When there's a clear majority, we don't consider there's any real grounds for doing anything else. Of course, this time around, there's been no clear majority (yes, folks, we had a recent General Election) ... and ... this gave the Left latitude to try and steal the election for themselves (Corbyn went on air to say he was ready to form his own Government !), even despite having fewer votes, and a substantial number of seats less, than their Conservative opposition ... who have formed our latest minority Government.

Criticism can and does exist, post-election. HOWEVER, it doesn't, ever, reach the pitch that the American Left have been foisting in Trump's direction, ever since he became President ! Equally .. the attacks launched on Trump, pre-election, have no equivalent in British politics I've ever been aware of. This last election of yours leaves the impression that American politics can be a far dirtier business than our own.

Trust me, your Left does itself no favours abroad, when it shows itself capable of such vitriol.

That said ... on my side of the Pond, too, anti-Trump sentiment seems unprecedented for any properly elected Leader ! My, how the Left hate Trump !! My impression is that your Left actually believe you have a right to DICTATE a win for yourselves, whenever you require it.

I hold a simple view. Trump was elected. He was elected because promises he gave, your general Public voted to see him work to achieve. So, on what decent basis do your lot work so very hard to prevent him from succeeding ?? Don't you CARE about the democratic Will of the People in your country ??

Because if that's the case -- then the Left is simply unfit to be an part of your democratic processes, until such time as they show the electorate due deference to THEIR wishes !!
    It's That Bloody Foreigner Again !!!

2. Thanks Tyr-Ziu Saxnot thanked this post
    Likes Tyr-Ziu Saxnot liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Drummond View Post
    Criticism can and does exist, post-election. HOWEVER, it doesn't, ever, reach the pitch that the American Left have been foisting in Trump's direction, ever since he became President ! Equally .. the attacks launched on Trump, pre-election, have no equivalent in British politics I've ever been aware of. This last election of yours leaves the impression that American politics can be a far dirtier business than our own.

Trust me, your Left does itself no favours abroad, when it shows itself capable of such vitriol.

That said ... on my side of the Pond, too, anti-Trump sentiment seems unprecedented for any properly elected Leader ! My, how the Left hate Trump !! My impression is that your Left actually believe you have a right to DICTATE a win for yourselves, whenever you require it.

I hold a simple view. Trump was elected. He was elected because promises he gave, your general Public voted to see him work to achieve. So, on what decent basis do your lot work so very hard to prevent him from succeeding ?? Don't you CARE about the democratic Will of the People in your country ??
    Really.

Where have you been between, roughly, from 2009 to 2016?

Secondly, pointing out the unmitigated disaster the Trumpy is isn't the equivalent of trying to steal an election.

Third, pointing out that a criticism is "unprecedented" is a meaningless metric, particularly in the face of a man whose intellectual decrepitude and moral bankruptcy are also unprecedented, warranting the most scathing, even "unprecedented" criticism (which it is not).

Fourth, when talking about the "Will of the People", how does a 46% minority, who brought about that electoral result, figure into your argument?

Fifth, if someone, President or otherwise, openly - as guided by one Mr. Bannon - goes about tearing the place down, everybody with some sense of decency in the nation should feel compelled to prevent this person from succeeding. Isn't that the most blindingly obvious thing ever to emerge on the political landscape?

Sixth, and finally, I, for one, couldn't give a rat's posterior whether or not the "Left" does itself any favors abroad. But then, in the face of outright disgust with the Trumpy all around the world (with the possible exception of Russia), I suspect that whatever counts as "left" in the U.S. is pretty much the country's saving grace abroad, ranging from Congressional Democrats to the "Resist" movement, of which the world, in my perception, is eager to hear more.

4. Thanks Ricky Tavy, moondoggie thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)

More often than not, the British public just accept the result of an election. When there's a clear majority, we don't consider there's any real grounds for doing anything else. Of course, this time around, there's been no clear majority (yes, folks, we had a recent General Election) ... and ... this gave the Left latitude to try and steal the election for themselves (Corbyn went on air to say he was ready to form his own Government !), even despite having fewer votes, and a substantial number of seats less, than their Conservative opposition ... who have formed our latest minority Government.

Because if that's the case -- then the Left is simply unfit to be an part of your democratic processes, until such time as they show the electorate due deference to THEIR wishes !!
    Quote Originally Posted by O E View Post
    Really.

Secondly, pointing out the unmitigated disaster the Trumpy is isn't the equivalent of trying to steal an election.

Third, pointing out that a criticism is "unprecedented" is a meaningless metric, particularly in the face of a man whose intellectual decrepitude and moral bankruptcy are also unprecedented, warranting the most scathing, even "unprecedented" criticism (which it is not).

Fourth, when talking about the "Will of the People", how does a 46% minority, who brought about that electoral result, figure into your argument?

Fifth, if someone, President or otherwise, openly - as guided by one Mr. Bannon - goes about tearing the place down, everybody with some sense of decency in the nation should feel compelled to prevent this person from succeeding. Isn't that the most blindingly obvious thing ever to emerge on the political landscape?

Sixth, and finally, I, for one, couldn't give a rat's posterior whether or not the "Left" does itself any favors abroad. But then, in the face of outright disgust with the Trumpy all around the world (with the possible exception of Russia), I suspect that whatever counts as "left" in the U.S. is pretty much the country's saving grace abroad, ranging from Congressional Democrats to the "Resist" movement, of which the world, in my perception, is eager to hear more.
    Please, if folks are going to continue with this discussion, please take it to the political forum and leave this thread for introductions. Thank you!

"The government is a child that has found their parents credit card, and spends knowing that they never have to reconcile the bill with their own money"-Shannon Churchill

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    164 Post(s)

Really.

Firstly ... Where have I been ? Living in the UK, seeing things for myself, thanks.

Secondly ... I'm no youngster, BUT, I've never witnessed the level of vitriol, and the unceasing attacks, quite on the scale that Trump has had to endure. The impression one gets is that Hillary Clinton was expected to win .. and that your Left have reacted to her failure by effectively saying, 'How dare she lose ... how dare Trump steal what's 'rightfully hers'. The Left obviously hate Trump, and want him removed from Office ... despite his having every right to be where he is, and doing what he is doing (i.e trying to keep election promises !).

Thirdly ... your point defeats itself !! Tell me this ... what's any LESS than 'unprecedented' than to use these words ....

... particularly in the face of a man whose intellectual decrepitude and moral bankruptcy are also unprecedented
    .. I mean, how can you call my calling it what it obviously IS, a meaningless exercise ?? (or 'metric', as you bafflingly suggested it was .. did you mean 'rhetoric' .. ?). Right there, you illustrate the sheer strength of vitriol being heaped on a man WHO YOUR OWN ELECTORATE VOTED INTO OFFICE.

Correctly quantifying vitriol isn't 'meaningless' (however convenient you think it is to claim such a thing). Rather, it is evidence of a disturbing lack of respect for a majority who want him to be where he is, doing what he's doing !!

Fourthly ... you have an electoral college system of voting, don't you ? The system worked, and it produced the result it did. So tell me ... how vocal, just BEFORE the election, were the Left in complaining about that system ? How many of your number said its implementation was unfair ? AH ... BUT ... because it brought you a result you haven't wanted, lo and behold, SUDDENLY, it's 'unfair' ...

Had Clinton won, you'd not be complaining about it. Since she didn't, NOW, you want to complain ...

Fifthly ... as I recall, Trump got to be elected on a ticket of intending to 'drain the swamp'. He made no secret of his intention. Also ... any leader of any stature has every right to expect his followers and employees to give him loyalty. Trump has been unashamedly expecting such loyalty. Ah, but to a Leftie ... 'how dare he' ... eh ?

This, again, is an example of a President who KEEPS his election promises. His supporters wanted him to go through the Washington Establishment and make it more accountable and answerable to those the electorate votes for. He is serving their interests .. and has every right to do so.

Sixthly ... care, or don't care - just as you choose - as to whether you take notice of opinion abroad. The foreign media delight in rubbishing Trump for their own ends, and of course, they'll feed on all the sensationalism which all of this generates. A lot of that media has its own Left wing agenda to promote, of course, and your Left will happily help that along.

I'd suggest, though, that foreign opinion should matter. Quite apart from the fact that America has allies abroad, whose opinions SHOULD matter to them .. there's the issue of the impact which America has on the world. If the world sees instability within a country which is politically, militarily and economically a world leader, then we can't help but have a view which must count for something !!

Here' a suggestion - in two parts:

1. Care about the wishes of your own electorate.

2. Care about other peoples' wishes, too.

Or .. do you prefer to distain any and all views from ANYONE not seeing things as the Left would prefer .. ? H'mm ?

7. Thanks Tyr-Ziu Saxnot thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    164 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kathianne View Post
    Please, if folks are going to continue with this discussion, please take it to the political forum and leave this thread for introductions. Thank you!
    Only just now seen.

Very well. But this does, of course, also apply to ALL involved in the debate ... I suggest ...

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    164 Post(s)

I'm not splitting this off, I believe Drummond was typing and didn't see my post:

http://www.debatepolicy.com/showthre...804#post873804

I really don't want to move decent posts to the cage, but will if necessary. It would be better to just carry on in politics.
    Exactly so.

I'm finished debating this political material here, in deference to your position.

10. Thanks Kathianne thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Criticism can and does exist, post-election. HOWEVER, it doesn't, ever, reach the pitch that the American Left have been foisting in Trump's direction, ever since he became President !
    Yes, terrible the way so many are saying trump wasn't born in America, that he is a Kenyan Muslim. And, how about the way the opposition leader in the Senate said his #1 priority was to make trump a one-term president, before engaging in a policy of scorched-earth obstructionism. 'Course, Obama brought so much of it on himself with all of his insult tweets and his bashing of bush and reliving the glory days of his campaign and lying boasts about crowd size.

Cry me river, snowflake.

Equally .. the attacks launched on Trump, pre-election, have no equivalent in British politics I've ever been aware of. This last election of yours leaves the impression that American politics can be a far dirtier business than our own.
    Oh, bullshit. I've watched Parliament when the insults are flying.

I would trust you, but all I've seen from you is sad whimpering about leftist bullies in support of a crude and vulgar buffoon who insulted opponents' family members as he goose-stepped his way to winning his party's nomination and then offering a scapegoat in every pot for every loser who needed someone to blame for his inadequacies on his way to minority rule.

I remember when righties used to take pride in being a daddy party. Now, all they do is crybaby about how mean everybody is to them.
    It's very hard not to be condescending when you're explaining something to an idiot - Bill Maher

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I recommend the thread ... trump: oblivious moron or psychotically narcissistic oblivious moron.
    It's very hard not to be condescending when you're explaining something to an idiot - Bill Maher

13. Thanks moondoggie thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Oh, I just noticed my last political comment to Drummond came after Katherine's direction. Apologies, I did not see it. I guess one needs to refresh pages regularly here.

15. Thanks Kathianne, Abbey Marie thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I hold a simple view. Trump was elected. He was elected because promises he gave, your general Public voted to see him work to achieve.
    That is a simple view all right. After all Trump did not even achieve the plurality of the vote of the public.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    164 Post(s)

Yes, terrible the way so many are saying trump wasn't born in America, that he is a Kenyan Muslim. And, how about the way the opposition leader in the Senate said his #1 priority was to make trump a one-term president, before engaging in a policy of scorched-earth obstructionism. 'Course, Obama brought so much of it on himself with all of his insult tweets and his bashing of bush and reliving the glory days of his campaign and lying boasts about crowd size.

Cry me river, snowflake.
    It didn't help that Obama himself put his birth record under seal, denying people access to what it said ! Why would anybody seek to do that ?

I read accounts claiming that court action was taken, to try and counter that measure !!! But yes .. in the end ... and after YEARS of controversy ... Obama finally yielded ground on that one. Such a delay ...very odd ... very odd indeed ......

And ... committing a President to 'one term', is a LITTLE different from the far more strident efforts to have Trump terminally rubbished, hoping for a far quicker ousting-effect. Indeed, there were smear attempts made before he was even elected. So -- vitrol against Trump has been, and still is, orders of magnitude greater than anything Obama 'suffered'.

Two points:

One, Obama acted against American interests. Most especially when he created a power-vacuum in Iraq from premature troop withdrawals, VERY publicised ones, allowing the rise of ISIS, no less !!

Two ... Obama gave vague 'hope & change' promises. Trump had been very specific in his. And .. Trump is busily delivering, to the very best of his ability to.

With Trump, you've someone who is loyal to America's interests. With Obama .. you had someone intent on damaging them.

There is a teensy BIT of a difference there !!

Oh, bullshit. I've watched Parliament when the insults are flying.
    Standard banter, 'time-honoured' stuff. Nothing more.

Even so, I recall David Cameron's first speech as PM (Conservative). He attempted to move away from such behaviour. He wasted his time, of course ... his opposition would have none of it.

I would trust you, but all I've seen from you is sad whimpering about leftist bullies in support of a crude and vulgar buffoon who insulted opponents' family members as he goose-stepped his way to winning his party's nomination and then offering a scapegoat in every pot for every loser who needed someone to blame for his inadequacies on his way to minority rule.

I remember when righties used to take pride in being a daddy party. Now, all they do is crybaby about how mean everybody is to them.
    'No bias there, then' .....
    Last edited by Drummond; 07-29-2017 at 07:45 AM.

18. Thanks Tyr-Ziu Saxnot thanked this post
    Likes Tyr-Ziu Saxnot liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jimnyc View Post
    Doesn't have to be recipes! LOL I'm just pointing out, that there's friendly discussion to be had here as well. I've found, over the years, that if "opposing sides" post in friendly places, share stories, get to know one another - they tend to tolerate one another a bit more in the political environment.
    Familiarity breeds contempt, on the other hand. oh, hello there. I did not invent the term 'Morons for Bush' but I like it.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

"your general Public" voted for Clinton by a 2.9 million vote margin.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Really.

http://www.latimes.com/politics/wash...htmlstory.html

by "Dalestarship"

Donald Trump's behavior is beyond the pale.

His pathological lies are making millions of people sick.
    He is an international DISGRACE.

But
    I am onto him.

While he is stumbling around the Oval Office with the working knowledge of a 5th grader, his Republican billionaire Cabinet is wreaking unprecedented havoc on our Democracy.

He might hold the most powerful office in the world, but let me make myself clear: The American People are not afraid of him.

I’m working to EXPOSE him for who he is by helping the MILLIONS of concerned Americans take down his Presidency and expose the TRUTH about his corrupt administration:

I am committed to countering Trump's TOXIC AGENDA along with any lawmakers who support his toxic agenda at every step.

I will do everything
    I can to make sure that he and those LAWMAKERS are NO LONGER IN OFFICE no matter which party they belong to.

When he
    tries to shovel a MASSIVE tax cut to Big Pharma donors? I’ll be there.

When he supports UNLIMITED contribution limits to political candidates? I’ll be there.

When he
    tries to SUPPRESS THE VOTE by falsely declaring voter fraud, I'll be there.

When he dismantles protections to stop global warming from destroying our planet so his rich corporate billionaire
    friends can continue to pollute and wreak havoc up on our planet, I'll be there.
    When he throws innocent people out of the united states to feed his
    racist ego, I'll be there

When he
    tries to pull the wool over our eyes and LIE about his ties to Russia? I’ll be there.

When he supports KICKING millions of people off their HEALTHCARE in order to give tax breaks to the rich,
    I'll be there.

Donald
    Trump, does not have a basic understanding of our Democracy.

The People should decide our elected officials, not corporations, not special interests and NOT foreign countries.

I hereby commit to
    do everything in my power to stop him from causing ANY more harm to our country.
    Last edited by moondoggie; 07-30-2017 at 01:20 AM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Oh, I just noticed my last political comment to Drummond came after Katherine's direction. Apologies, I did not see it. I guess one needs to refresh pages regularly here.
    Yeah, I guess I should have read the entire thread before responding. Wrong sand box, ok. I'll take it elsewhere from here.