Results 1 to 15 of 15
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    36,557
    Thanks (Given)
    14126
    Thanks (Received)
    9699
    Likes (Given)
    1439
    Likes (Received)
    806
    Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    21475341

    Default Sandwich For Dinner

    Last week after a bit of trail walking, stopped at Red Rooster Cafe, (thanks @SassyLady), had a Cuban Sandwich. It was soooo good, but with an iced tea and tip was over $16! A bit pricey for day-to-day.

    So, today I was thinking of it and thought, why not make something similar. No, didn't have any shredded pork around and the delis here don't either. So, I bought some Ciabatta rolls, smoked ham, sandwich pickles.

    Brushed the cut sides with olive oil and grilled them with cast iron pot on top. Grabbed them, on the bottom put mustard, the ham, pepper jack cheese, pickles. Wrapped that up in foil and baked for 10 minutes.

    I love Fridays! It's my 'treat yourself right day!'

    Speaking of good day, saw pants I used to love, Sz 6, tried them on, they fit! Woot! Even better? $50 was in the pocket!
    “The greatness of America lies not in being more enlightened than any other nation, but rather in her ability to repair her faults.” De Tocqueville



  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    8,936
    Thanks (Given)
    15
    Thanks (Received)
    175
    Likes (Given)
    10
    Likes (Received)
    39
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    1187245

    Default

    sorry, but I seem to have misplaced my invitation.......
    ...full immersion.....

  3. Thanks Kathianne thanked this post
  4. #3
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    17,668
    Thanks (Given)
    2989
    Thanks (Received)
    4897
    Likes (Given)
    278
    Likes (Received)
    695
    Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    18208581

    Default

    Kath - you and i could really be friends There have been times i've wanted to "choke" ya - times where I really couldn't stand our conflicts...but over the years i've come to greatly appreciate what you have to offer - not just the board, but what you offer those in your real-life. You are a terrific person. I'm so sorry for my bullish or offensive tones I've taken with you in the past, both publicly on the board and via messages.

  5. Thanks Kathianne, Abbey, SassyLady thanked this post
    Likes Kathianne liked this post
  6. #4
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    36,557
    Thanks (Given)
    14126
    Thanks (Received)
    9699
    Likes (Given)
    1439
    Likes (Received)
    806
    Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    21475341

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dmp View Post
    Kath - you and i could really be friends There have been times i've wanted to "choke" ya - times where I really couldn't stand our conflicts...but over the years i've come to greatly appreciate what you have to offer - not just the board, but what you offer those in your real-life. You are a terrific person. I'm so sorry for my bullish or offensive tones I've taken with you in the past, both publicly on the board and via messages.
    What we had, was a failure to communicate, (that doesn't sound like me, ). I'm not going to say that I've changed much; you though have grown, Farm Boy! If we'd called you, John Boy, I'd call you, John now. Alas, calling you, Farm, would sound weird. Since your name is dmp or something.
    Somewhere along the line, you've grown more thoughtful and less judgmental, that is growth. It's not comfortable moving beyond certainties. I like the improved version much more, we are both better people because of it.
    “The greatness of America lies not in being more enlightened than any other nation, but rather in her ability to repair her faults.” De Tocqueville



  7. Thanks darin thanked this post
    Likes darin liked this post
  8. #5
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    17,668
    Thanks (Given)
    2989
    Thanks (Received)
    4897
    Likes (Given)
    278
    Likes (Received)
    695
    Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    18208581

    Default

    I haven't changed....YOU have

  9. Thanks Kathianne thanked this post
    Likes Kathianne liked this post
  10. #6
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    36,557
    Thanks (Given)
    14126
    Thanks (Received)
    9699
    Likes (Given)
    1439
    Likes (Received)
    806
    Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    21475341

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dmp View Post
    I haven't changed....YOU have
    Nah, I'm still the Jesuit influenced child from my youth. Certainties only apply to how I behave, (or sin, ). Others, I pray for.
    “The greatness of America lies not in being more enlightened than any other nation, but rather in her ability to repair her faults.” De Tocqueville



  11. Thanks darin thanked this post
  12. #7
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    In my knickers
    Posts
    26,314
    Thanks (Given)
    10872
    Thanks (Received)
    11848
    Likes (Given)
    708
    Likes (Received)
    1522
    Mentioned
    81 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    21475239

    Default

    You've BOTH changed.
    After the game, the king and the pawn go into the same box - Author unknown

    For you created my inmost being; you knit me together in my mother's womb. Psalms 139:13

  13. Thanks Kathianne, SassyLady thanked this post
  14. #8
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    8,936
    Thanks (Given)
    15
    Thanks (Received)
    175
    Likes (Given)
    10
    Likes (Received)
    39
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    1187245

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Abbey View Post
    You've BOTH changed.
    and STOP IT!......
    ...full immersion.....

  15. #9
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    over here
    Posts
    8,612
    Thanks (Given)
    3295
    Thanks (Received)
    3092
    Likes (Given)
    385
    Likes (Received)
    370
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    10681963

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Abbey View Post
    You've BOTH changed.
    We've all changed and yet not changed.

    I think a lot of us started out on the boards angry because of the political times we were living in, and through our posts, we've come to know each other better over the years. Now we look for things that we have in common instead of things that we have in conflict, thus thinking it's the other person that has changed.

    It's our willingness to listen and discuss that allows us to "see" people differently.
    If the freedom of speech is taken away
    then dumb and silent we may be led,
    like sheep to the slaughter.


    George Washington (1732-1799) First President of the USA.

  16. Thanks Kathianne, CSM thanked this post
    Likes Kathianne, CSM liked this post
  17. #10
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Podunk, WI
    Posts
    4,617
    Thanks (Given)
    2073
    Thanks (Received)
    2021
    Likes (Given)
    1971
    Likes (Received)
    1066
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    9494865

    Default

    I've changed.

  18. #11
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    In my knickers
    Posts
    26,314
    Thanks (Given)
    10872
    Thanks (Received)
    11848
    Likes (Given)
    708
    Likes (Received)
    1522
    Mentioned
    81 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    21475239

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SassyLady View Post
    We've all changed and yet not changed.

    I think a lot of us started out on the boards angry because of the political times we were living in, and through our posts, we've come to know each other better over the years. Now we look for things that we have in common instead of things that we have in conflict, thus thinking it's the other person that has changed.

    It's our willingness to listen and discuss that allows us to "see" people differently.
    I've just always had a crush on you
    After the game, the king and the pawn go into the same box - Author unknown

    For you created my inmost being; you knit me together in my mother's womb. Psalms 139:13

  19. Thanks Kathianne thanked this post
    Likes Kathianne liked this post
  20. #12
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    36,557
    Thanks (Given)
    14126
    Thanks (Received)
    9699
    Likes (Given)
    1439
    Likes (Received)
    806
    Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    21475341

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Abbey View Post
    I've just always had a crush on you
    TMI!
    “The greatness of America lies not in being more enlightened than any other nation, but rather in her ability to repair her faults.” De Tocqueville



  21. Thanks Abbey thanked this post
    Likes Abbey liked this post
  22. #13
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    36,557
    Thanks (Given)
    14126
    Thanks (Received)
    9699
    Likes (Given)
    1439
    Likes (Received)
    806
    Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    21475341

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kathianne View Post
    TMI!
    I was only kidding, both Abbey and Sassy are two people I've always liked, whether we agree on something or not. Classy ladies!
    “The greatness of America lies not in being more enlightened than any other nation, but rather in her ability to repair her faults.” De Tocqueville



  23. Thanks Abbey thanked this post
    Likes Abbey liked this post
  24. #14
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Posts
    500
    Thanks (Given)
    71
    Thanks (Received)
    158
    Likes (Given)
    103
    Likes (Received)
    53
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    1064410

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kathianne View Post
    Last week after a bit of trail walking, stopped at Red Rooster Cafe, (thanks @SassyLady), had a Cuban Sandwich. It was soooo good, but with an iced tea and tip was over $16! A bit pricey for day-to-day.

    So, today I was thinking of it and thought, why not make something similar. No, didn't have any shredded pork around and the delis here don't either. So, I bought some Ciabatta rolls, smoked ham, sandwich pickles.

    Brushed the cut sides with olive oil and grilled them with cast iron pot on top. Grabbed them, on the bottom put mustard, the ham, pepper jack cheese, pickles. Wrapped that up in foil and baked for 10 minutes.

    I love Fridays! It's my 'treat yourself right day!'

    Speaking of good day, saw pants I used to love, Sz 6, tried them on, they fit! Woot! Even better? $50 was in the pocket!
    The best food I've ever had was in Miami. I was on my way back home after a deployment so I was looking forward to some good food. I spent 3 days in every Cuban place in Miami and the rice and beans and the sandwiches were incredible. I've tried for years to learn how to make the sauce they use, I haven't been able to duplicate it yet.

  25. Thanks Kathianne thanked this post
  26. #15
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Podunk, WI
    Posts
    4,617
    Thanks (Given)
    2073
    Thanks (Received)
    2021
    Likes (Given)
    1971
    Likes (Received)
    1066
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    9494865

    Default

    Yes I live alone, have now for 30 years. So, when it comes to eating, it can get pretty boring and stagnant if you eat the same things over and over. Well, one of my favorite shows on tv is 'Diners, Drive Ins and Dives' with Guy Fiere. I sit and watch all these mega delicious things being concocted and my mouth just waters. So lately I've figured, well, I need to start cooking, get outside my comfort zone, and whip together some of these things to shake things up a bit. So recently I have been, and one of the things I made was Gyros. It was a huge success IMO. I made the meat which was 1lb of ground lamb and 1lb of ground beef mixed in the food processor with seasonings and other ingredients, and the Tzatziki sauce which turned out awesome, which has to sit overnight in the fridge, same with the meat, and then some fresh pita bread and some diced red onions and tomatoes and wha-la, you've got yourself a mega Gyro. One of the best ones I ever had in my life. Glad I like my own cookin'...
    Last edited by High_Plains_Drifter; 08-13-2017 at 10:56 AM.

  27. Thanks Kathianne, Abbey thanked this post

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •