Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

Default Marshawn Lynch sits for national anthem

He was a BEAST when he played for the Seattle Seahawks. Then he retired and un-retired real quick and is now playing for the Oakland Raiders. He's the one who loves himself some Skittles!! And of course the one who doesn't talk to the media. We're liable not to hear a whole lot from him about this. I'll be very curious to see if he does this going forward as well. He's under contract and probably doesn't give a shit, as he won't be signing elsewhere after this. I understand his stances and how he feels - but taking it out on America, and all of her past and glory and those that have fought and died and so on and so one... doesn't make any sense to me.

--

NFL’s Marshawn Lynch Summons His Inner Colin Kaepernick, Sits During National Anthem

Picking up where Colin Kaepernick left off, “unretired” has-been Oakland Raiders running back Marshawn Lynch kept it real by making some sort of statement about racism or Charlottesville or something by failing to stand when the National Anthem was played during his team’s preseason NFL game against the Arizona Cardinals last night in Glendale, Arizona. Instead, Lynch sat on a cooler and ate a banana.

It is not known at this point whether Lynch was purposely using racial imagery in his decision to eat a banana (as opposed to any other food except for maybe watermelon or fried chicken) while making his anti-National Anthem statement. American University has recently pronounced bananas publicly hanging from string a racist threat. And in 2013, as was covered very extensively by ESPN, Baltimore Orioles outfielder Adam Jones had a banana thrown on the field in his general vicinity by a frustrated San Francisco Giants fan.

According to Philly.com:

The Raiders running back remained seated on a cooler while eating a banana as his teammates and coaches stood during the national anthem prior to the team’s Saturday night preseason game against the Arizona Cardinals. Lynch’s decision came in the wake of a violent white nationalist rally [with violence initiated by leftists while white nationalists were lawfully demonstrating] in Charlottesville, Va. earlier in the day where three people, including two police officers, were killed.

Raiders head coach Jack Del Rio told reporters after the game he was surprised by Lynch’s decision, and had a conversation with the veteran running back who had left the locker room before reporters were able to speak with him.

“He said, ‘This is something I have done for 11 years. It’s not a form of anything other than me being myself,’” Del Rio said. “I said, ‘So you understand how I feel, I very strongly believe in standing for the national anthem. But I respect you as a man and you can do your thing.”
    Lynch is no stranger to symbolic gestures, vague as the symbolism has been in the past. During his seasons with the Seattle Seahawks (2010-2015), Lynch was known to “celebrate” touchdowns by grabbing his crotch very visibly when entering the end zone.

Rest here - http://www.thegatewaypundit.com/2017...tional-anthem/
    “You know the world is going crazy when the best rapper is a white guy, the best golfer is a black guy, the tallest guy in the NBA is Chinese, the Swiss hold the America's Cup, France is accusing the U.S. of arrogance, Germany doesn't want to go to war, and the three most powerful men in America are named "Bush", "Dick", and "Colin." Need I say more?” - Chris Rock

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    66 Post(s)

Good for him, exercising his rights. Didn't care about him yesterday, don't give a shit about him today, won't give a fuck about him tomorrow.

Raiders still suck.

He ought to think about changing his last name. I mean "Lynch" has such negative connotations connected to it... So much so, schools named for the family that donated land to build them are changing their names...

Portland educators want to strip 'Lynch' from school names. But it refers to a family, not lynching
    "I am allergic to piety, it makes me break out in rash judgements." - Penn Jillette
    "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with a lot of pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
    "The man who invented the telescope found out more about heaven than the closed eyes of prayer ever discovered." - Robert G. Ingersoll

3. Thanks Gunny thanked this post
    Likes jimnyc liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by hjmick View Post
    Good for him, exercising his rights. Didn't care about him yesterday, don't give a shit about him today, won't give a fuck about him tomorrow.

Raiders still suck.

He ought to think about changing his last name. I mean "Lynch" has such negative connotations connected to it... So much so, schools named for the family that donated land to build them are changing their names...

Portland educators want to strip 'Lynch' from school names. But it refers to a family, not lynching
    Read that one too but didn't post it. These things are getting out of hand, IMO. We can't erase history to coddle today's people, nor should we IMO.
    “You know the world is going crazy when the best rapper is a white guy, the best golfer is a black guy, the tallest guy in the NBA is Chinese, the Swiss hold the America's Cup, France is accusing the U.S. of arrogance, Germany doesn't want to go to war, and the three most powerful men in America are named "Bush", "Dick", and "Colin." Need I say more?” - Chris Rock

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)

Just when I was excited to watch football again because, ignorantly, I thought the NFL learned their lesson last year with the decline of viewers because of Kappy and told these idiots to stand. Now here it is again... I watched maybe 30 minutes total of football last year. I swear to God, Ill tune it out and not watch a single minute this year if this keeps up. I'm sick of these premadonna, America trashing pieces of shit. Let them go else where and try and become millionaires on the pockets of the very same people and nation they're giving the finger to... fuck them.
    Last edited by High_Plains_Drifter; 08-13-2017 at 03:41 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    126 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by High_Plains_Drifter View Post
    Just when I was excited to watch football again because, ignorantly, I thought the NFL learned their lesson last year with the decline of viewers because of Kappy and told these idiots to stand. Now here it is again... I watched maybe 30 minutes total of football last year. I swear to God, Ill tune it out and not watch a single minute this year if this keeps up. I'm sick of these premadonna, America trashing pieces of shit. Let them go else where and try and become millionaires on the pockets of the very same people and nation they're giving the finger to... fuck them.
    Um paraphrased and adapted for use from High_Plains_Drifter #79
    ....I would think that people should be happy enough with how the wars turned out. If sitting down during an anthem or not giving reverence to the flag bother you so much, don't look at them. I see all this shunning and ruining the NFL's business as just another right wing people coddling, double standard and erosion of our rights as Americans. It's political correctness, once again, run amok...
    So do I agree with the whole sit down at the national anthem group? No. Do I think they had every right to protest quietly? Yes. Do I think they had a legitimate reason to protest? Yes. So why couldn't all these righties just let them have their sit down, watch the game and everyone go home peacefully? Well, because what seems to be the pattern with the right is, if you're saying something they disagree with, they appear not able to just let you have your say, they need to SHUT YOU UP, you need to be SILENCED, and that my friends is text book fascism, and I for one am sick and freakin' tired of it. It's a double standard that is so blatant and in your face is sickening.
    good for goose?

And BTW, no ones' been killed from people sitting down during the national anthem.
    But from the reactions, you'd think someone had been.
    Last edited by revelarts; 08-13-2017 at 04:03 PM.
    It is proper to take alarm at the first experiment on our liberties. The freeman of America did not wait till usurped power had strengthened itself by exercise, and entangled the question in precedents. James Madison
    Live as free people, yet without employing your freedom as a pretext for wickedness; but live at all times as servants of God.
    1 Peter 2:16

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by revelarts View Post
    And BTW, no ones' been killed from people sitting down during the national anthem.
    But from the reactions, you'd think someone had been.
    My heart has been killed on this one, Rev.

I'm a HUGE fan of Marshawn. or as I simply know him as BEAST! I detested him for playing for Darin's Seahawks! But I had a TON of respect for him, even when he did some weird shit. Then he starts playing for Oakland, a feel good story, playing for where he grew up. I was hoping I could see if the Beast would come back and be his old self or not.

But this gives me the sad smiley face.

He's still a beast. He's still a great running back. But I just disagree with folks doing anything towards our flag or our national things of pride.

This ISN'T about being right or wrong. He's right in many respects if his anger is like others, towards racism, or the shootings. But I hate when folks use the wrong ways of showing their displeasure/feelings/stance/agenda... That is all. So I'm sad. Just as I would be if it were a Steelers player. Just as I would feel if it were a white player on any issue that person would feel worth the protest. To me, it's all about the flag, and how the flag and that song are in the middle of honoring soldiers when some choose to sit/kneel.

8. Thanks High_Plains_Drifter thanked this post
    Likes High_Plains_Drifter liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jimnyc View Post
    My heart has been killed on this one, Rev.

I'm a HUGE fan of Marshawn. or as I simply know him as BEAST! I detested him for playing for Darin's Seahawks! But I had a TON of respect for him, even when he did some weird shit. Then he starts playing for Oakland, a feel good story, playing for where he grew up. I was hoping I could see if the Beast would come back and be his old self or not.

But this gives me the sad smiley face.

He's still a beast. He's still a great running back. But I just disagree with folks doing anything towards our flag or our national things of pride.

This ISN'T about being right or wrong. He's right in many respects if his anger is like others, towards racism, or the shootings. But I hate when folks use the wrong ways of showing their displeasure/feelings/stance/agenda... That is all. So I'm sad. Just as I would be if it were a Steelers player. Just as I would feel if it were a white player on any issue that person would feel worth the protest. To me, it's all about the flag, and how the flag and that song are in the middle of honoring soldiers when some choose to sit/kneel.
    What he said --------- ^

This isn't about some statue... this is a person in their way of saying FUCK YOU to our most endeared, beloved symbols we have that represent our nation as a whole, our flag and national anthem, and those who fought, spilled their blood and died to give these jackasses a nation where they could live free and become millionaires just chasing down a pig skin. There are plenty of other ways they can have their little protest, but doing in front of millions upon millions of people, showing their utter disdain and disrespect for our flag and our national anthem, just because these spoiled little jocks have a camera on them giving them this platform, they should NOT be doing that. They are SPITTING in the face of millions of Americans, and believe me, once again this year, since it appears the NFL didn't learn jack squat from last year, viewer ship will go down, maybe even more than last year.

THAT is what I'm saying, and it's nothing like your leftist spin, rev. Why did Jim get it and you didn't?
    Last edited by High_Plains_Drifter; 08-13-2017 at 04:44 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

I never understood why the National Anthem is played before sporting events and it doesn't bother me if someone takes a knee but I seriously doubt this is a political statement, it's probably just Marshawn being Marshawn.

11. Thanks Gunny thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    66 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by michiganFats View Post
    I never understood why the National Anthem is played before sporting events and it doesn't bother me if someone takes a knee but I seriously doubt this is a political statement, it's probably just Marshawn being Marshawn.

After America's entrance into World War I, Major League Baseball games often featured patriotic rituals, such as players marching in formation during pregame military drills and bands playing patriotic songs. During the seventh-inning stretch of game one of the 1918 World Series, the band erupted into "The Star-Spangled Banner." The Cubs and Red Sox players faced the centerfield flag pole and stood at attention. The crowd, already on their feet, began to sing along and applauded at the end of the song.

Given the positive reaction, the band played the song during the next two games, and when the Series moved to Boston, the Red Sox owner brought in a band and had the song played before the start of each remaining contest. After the war (and after the song was made the national anthem by a congressional resolution in 1931), the song continued to be played, but only on special occasions like opening day, national holidays and World Series games.

During World War II, baseball games again became venues for large-scale displays of patriotism, and technological advances in public address systems allowed songs to be played without a band. "The Star-Spangled Banner" was played before games throughout the course of the war, and by the time the war was over, the pre-game singing of the national anthem had become cemented as a baseball ritual, after which it spread to other sports.
    "I am allergic to piety, it makes me break out in rash judgements." - Penn Jillette
    "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with a lot of pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
    "The man who invented the telescope found out more about heaven than the closed eyes of prayer ever discovered." - Robert G. Ingersoll

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by hjmick View Post
    After America's entrance into World War I, Major League Baseball games often featured patriotic rituals, such as players marching in formation during pregame military drills and bands playing patriotic songs. During the seventh-inning stretch of game one of the 1918 World Series, the band erupted into "The Star-Spangled Banner." The Cubs and Red Sox players faced the centerfield flag pole and stood at attention. The crowd, already on their feet, began to sing along and applauded at the end of the song.

Given the positive reaction, the band played the song during the next two games, and when the Series moved to Boston, the Red Sox owner brought in a band and had the song played before the start of each remaining contest. After the war (and after the song was made the national anthem by a congressional resolution in 1931), the song continued to be played, but only on special occasions like opening day, national holidays and World Series games.

During World War II, baseball games again became venues for large-scale displays of patriotism, and technological advances in public address systems allowed songs to be played without a band. "The Star-Spangled Banner" was played before games throughout the course of the war, and by the time the war was over, the pre-game singing of the national anthem had become cemented as a baseball ritual, after which it spread to other sports.
    Allow me to rephrase my statement. I am aware of the origin of the practice I just think it's stupid.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)

Default It's the way the nation, and the irresponsible people are going.

Unwilling to take responsibility, as an act of Respect, for being able to enjoy living in this nation, and reaping all of the benefits not found, anywhere else on Earth.
    That's how society is lowering itself into the cesspool of reality these days.
    Everyone seems satisfied to whine, complain, be offended, be insulted, and STUPID.
    I love to make Liberals Cry, and Whine.
    So, this is for them.
    GOD BLESS AMERICA - IN GOD WE TRUST !

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    181 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by michiganFats View Post
    Allow me to rephrase my statement. I am aware of the origin of the practice I just think it's stupid.
    Why do you think it's stupid?
    After the game, the king and the pawn go into the same box - Author unknown

“Unfortunately, the truth is now whatever the media say it is”
    -Abbey

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Abbey View Post
    Why do you think it's stupid?
    I think it's fake patriotism.

17. Thanks Gunny thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)

Default Simple explanation.

Tradition.

Today, it seems everybody has something they feel a need to change because they think something is useless, or stupid. That's their right to feel that way, but why ruin it for everyone else....just because one, or more, out of millions is OFFENDED?

Kinda covers almost everything taking place today. EVEN THE STATUES from the Civil War era that some say is RACIST, while others are just following traditions that recall, and historically show the past.
    Sad state of HURT FEELINGS, BUTT HURT, WHINING, CRYING, AND STUPIDITY. SNOWFLAKEism at its Best.
    Last edited by aboutime; 08-13-2017 at 08:01 PM.
    I love to make Liberals Cry, and Whine.
    So, this is for them.
    GOD BLESS AMERICA - IN GOD WE TRUST !

19. Likes High_Plains_Drifter liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by aboutime View Post
    Tradition.

Today, it seems everybody has something they feel a need to change because they think something is useless, or stupid. That's their right to feel that way, but why ruin it for everyone else....just because one, or more, out of millions is OFFENDED?

Kinda covers almost everything taking place today. EVEN THE STATUES from the Civil War era that some say is RACIST, while others are just following traditions that recall, and historically show the past.
    Sad state of HURT FEELINGS, BUTT HURT, WHINING, CRYING, AND STUPIDITY. SNOWFLAKEism at its Best.
    Is this general complaining on your part or are you responding to someone specific?

21. Thanks aboutime thanked this post