Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)

Default I'm About Ready To Live OFF THE GRID...

I usually start my mornings watching local and national news, check the news online, check twitter and facebook, but anymore... everything is reaching such fever pitch coming from the left, this absolute tidal wave of hysteria, lies, hypocrisy and double standards, and what I see as leftist anti Americanism, I'm right to the point where I don't even want to hear about it anymore. Sunday and Monday I didn't watch any news at all on TV. What I got online was enough, but I turned the morning news on this morning and quickly realized that I'd had the tv on mute for probably 45 minutes, so I turned the channel. So I'm at this point where I might not watch any news at all except some local evening news, and then just to catch the weather. What I see on TV I don't even consider news anymore. This 24/7 stuff where a talking head speaks for maybe a minute or two about an actual even, then says "let's bring on our panel," is where I either hit mute or turn the channel. I don't need an analyst, or pundit, or any other sort of person paid to simply give their opinion, to tell me what they think. I heard what the intro was and I can decide for myself what to think. I don't need it analysed and I don't need to hear their opinion. And these talking heads all must be cut from the same mold, because invariably they ALL start out their diatribe with "LOOK."

So... I'm just about on FULL when it comes to this toxic state of affairs in America. I think the left is unhinged, and I just don't want to hear about it anymore. If it ever boils over to the point where it reaches my front door way out here in Podunk, WI, then I'll deal with it the way I see fit. I'll protect my own hard earned little chunk of America that I've worked and sweated to build with every fiber of my being.
    Last edited by High_Plains_Drifter; 08-15-2017 at 08:24 AM.

2. Thanks SassyLady thanked this post
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    139 Post(s)

Right there with you. Already saving for my off-grid lifestyle...few farm animals. need a spring on the property. Basic solar. And plenty of booze, honey, ammo. It's getting ridiculous.

4. Thanks High_Plains_Drifter thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    201 Post(s)

It's easy to burn out. Sometimes you have to unplug for a while.

When I had Jim up at the cabin last month, I asked him a few times if he'd like to check the board on my laptop tethered to my cell.

"Nope!" was the answer every time. He was happy to quietly sit & watch the river go by sipping coffee, almost in a meditative state. He was digging the off-the-grid thing, bigtime.
    Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum

6. Thanks darin, Elessar thanked this post
    Likes High_Plains_Drifter liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by darin View Post
    Right there with you. Already saving for my off-grid lifestyle...few farm animals. need a spring on the property. Basic solar. And plenty of booze, honey, ammo. It's getting ridiculous.
    Yup... I have about an acre an a quarter near the end of a dead end road, no one living on two sides of that, have my own well, which has a conventional plug so I can plug it into a generator, have my own septic system, have a real nice wood burning stove in the shop so I wouldn't freeze in the winter if power was ever interrupted, have stores of emergency food such as WISE, dried things like beans and rice, canned stuff, SPAM of course, etc, all stock piled, probably enough for six months maybe, and I have my weapons with ammo for all, and thousands of rounds for the AK-47. I also have two generators, one small 2.5KW that I can easily cart around, and a big 9.5KW with electric start that I can plug into my service entrance via a transfer switch and power up my entire property.

Ya know they used to laugh at us prepers... I don't think many are laughing anymore.
    Last edited by High_Plains_Drifter; 08-15-2017 at 08:35 AM.

8. Thanks SassyLady thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    201 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by High_Plains_Drifter View Post
    Yup... I have about an acre an a quarter near the end of a dead end road, no one living on two sides of that, have my own well, which has a conventional plug so I can plug it into a generator, have my own septic system, have a real nice wood burning stove in the shop so I wouldn't freeze in the winter if power was ever interrupted, have stores of emergency food such as WISE, dried things like beans and rice, canned stuff, SPAM of course, etc, all stock piled, probably enough for six months maybe, and I have my weapons with ammo for all, and thousands of rounds for the AK-47. I also have two generators, one small 2.5KW that I can easily cart around, and big 9.5KW with electric start that I can plug into my service entrance via a transfer switch and power up my entire property.

Ya know they used to laugh at us prepers... I don't think many are laughing anymore.
    Got a DC plant planned yet? If not, I'd be happy to explain how I have my cabin wired for 12 volt fed by 2 battery strings, each fed by their own solar panel - that way if a battery goes bad, it doesn't take down my whole DC plant.

Also, Propane Lighting is extremely efficient and as a bonus, gives out quite a bit of heat. Redundancy is the name of the game. Mine has AC lights, DC lights and propane lights, with multiple 12v outlets around the cabin for charging phones/tablets/computers. A small AC/DC fridge also sits in the kitchen.

9.5kw Genny is a beast! Mine is a little Honda 2.5, with my backup being a 5kw Briggs fired genny in case something happens to the Honda.
    Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum

10. Thanks darin thanked this post
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    139 Post(s)

Couple things to consider -

One of those above-ground old school 200 gallon farm fuel tanks - the raised ones? you know what i mean?

Also

Your house isn't bullet proof. If it's wooden, consider finding a way to secure it - 5.56 goes through wood easily. And with sustained attack would penetrate most brick homes. Consider spreading your supplies in caches around the property and some with friends; include metal currency, sealed ammo, first aid, and...whatnot. maybe a spare pistol. Maybe look at a manual pump for your well. Can you secure your generators from theft? I dont need your answers but maybe things you can think about, if they help. Two is one, and one is none.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by NightTrain View Post
    Got a DC plant planned yet? If not, I'd be happy to explain how I have my cabin wired for 12 volt fed by 2 battery strings, each fed by their own solar panel - that way if a battery goes bad, it doesn't take down my whole DC plant.

Also, Propane Lighting is extremely efficient and as a bonus, gives out quite a bit of heat. Redundancy is the name of the game. Mine has AC lights, DC lights and propane lights, with multiple 12v outlets around the cabin for charging phones/tablets/computers. A small AC/DC fridge also sits in the kitchen.

9.5kw Genny is a beast! Mine is a little Honda 2.5, with my backup being a 5kw Briggs fired genny in case something happens to the Honda.
    I'm kind of an oil lamp collector, have about 15 of them, 3 of them being my prized Aladdins for light. I like the flash lights too, and have lots of different ones of those including a couple very powerful LED, and I keep lots of batteries on hand. I buy those in bulk, all sizes.

I'm stocked on lamp oil. I have probably 8 gallons. I know it's not sustainable, but all the lamps are also full, and if I burn them one by one and actually run out of oil, then the power has really been out a long, long time, and America must have been blown to smithereens. We'll probably all be scavengers or dead by then.
    Last edited by High_Plains_Drifter; 08-15-2017 at 10:22 AM.

13. Thanks Kathianne, SassyLady thanked this post
    Likes NightTrain liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Is that circus poster original or a re-creation?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by darin View Post
    Couple things to consider -

One of those above-ground old school 200 gallon farm fuel tanks - the raised ones? you know what i mean?

Also

Your house isn't bullet proof. If it's wooden, consider finding a way to secure it - 5.56 goes through wood easily. And with sustained attack would penetrate most brick homes. Consider spreading your supplies in caches around the property and some with friends; include metal currency, sealed ammo, first aid, and...whatnot. maybe a spare pistol. Maybe look at a manual pump for your well. Can you secure your generators from theft? I dont need your answers but maybe things you can think about, if they help. Two is one, and one is none.
    Sure enough a 5.56 will go right through a house, done it. The AK 7.62x39 FMJ will go through even more. Besides the many different rifles and shot guns I have, I have a couple pistols as well, a Taurus Raging Bull .44mag and a Ruger Vaquero Birds Head .45LC, my "Doc Holiday" pistol.

I have the generators locked up in the shop. The shop has double locked doors, two of which have inside clasps with padlocks. I don't leave anything out. Many, many people do around here. Small town, trusting folks. I just don't invite the morally challenged to steal any of my stuff by leaving it out.

Quote Originally Posted by michiganFats View Post
    Is that circus poster original or a re-creation?
    Reprint, but still, a reprint from 1916.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by NightTrain View Post
    It's easy to burn out. Sometimes you have to unplug for a while.

When I had Jim up at the cabin last month, I asked him a few times if he'd like to check the board on my laptop tethered to my cell.

"Nope!" was the answer every time. He was happy to quietly sit & watch the river go by sipping coffee, almost in a meditative state. He was digging the off-the-grid thing, bigtime.
    I had no interest at all, which was VERY unlike me. I was just too happy, content, relaxed, whatever you call it.

You're on the grid if you want to be there, but I think the best part of being there is the quiet, not having to deal with people, congestion, noise... I can't get relaxed even here at home like I was up there.
    “You know the world is going crazy when the best rapper is a white guy, the best golfer is a black guy, the tallest guy in the NBA is Chinese, the Swiss hold the America's Cup, France is accusing the U.S. of arrogance, Germany doesn't want to go to war, and the three most powerful men in America are named "Bush", "Dick", and "Colin." Need I say more?” - Chris Rock

17. Thanks Abbey Marie thanked this post
    Likes NightTrain, SassyLady liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    368 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jimnyc View Post
    I had no interest at all, which was VERY unlike me. I was just too happy, content, relaxed, whatever you call it.

You're on the grid if you want to be there, but I think the best part of being there is the quiet, not having to deal with people, congestion, noise... I can't get relaxed even here at home like I was up there.
    Shirker
    “When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall, one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle.” Edumnd Burke

19. Likes jimnyc liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    181 Post(s)

I usually start my mornings watching local and national news, check the news online, check twitter and facebook, but anymore... everything is reaching such fever pitch coming from the left, this absolute tidal wave of hysteria, lies, hypocrisy and double standards, and what I see as leftist anti Americanism, I'm right to the point where I don't even want to hear about it anymore. Sunday and Monday I didn't watch any news at all on TV. What I got online was enough, but I turned the morning news on this morning and quickly realized that I'd had the tv on mute for probably 45 minutes, so I turned the channel. So I'm at this point where I might not watch any news at all except some local evening news, and then just to catch the weather. What I see on TV I don't even consider news anymore. This 24/7 stuff where a talking head speaks for maybe a minute or two about an actual even, then says "let's bring on our panel," is where I either hit mute or turn the channel. I don't need an analyst, or pundit, or any other sort of person paid to simply give their opinion, to tell me what they think. I heard what the intro was and I can decide for myself what to think. I don't need it analysed and I don't need to hear their opinion. And these talking heads all must be cut from the same mold, because invariably they ALL start out their diatribe with "LOOK."

So... I'm just about on FULL when it comes to this toxic state of affairs in America. I think the left is unhinged, and I just don't want to hear about it anymore. If it ever boils over to the point where it reaches my front door way out here in Podunk, WI, then I'll deal with it the way I see fit. I'll protect my own hard earned little chunk of America that I've worked and sweated to build with every fiber of my being.

I've felt this way for a while now. I stopped watching Fox, and no national news in fact. Even local news has some biased stories.

Saw a a promo for ABC news tonight that made me reel from the hypocrisy. Every night they promo negative stories about Trump, so I know they are ripping him apart. After months of this, tonight they promo "Can Trump unite the country?" How can anyone decent and rational listen to such biased tripe?
    After the game, the king and the pawn go into the same box - Author unknown

“Unfortunately, the truth is now whatever the media say it is”
    -Abbey

21. Thanks High_Plains_Drifter thanked this post
    Likes High_Plains_Drifter, SassyLady liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Abbey View Post
    I've felt this way for a while now. I stopped watching Fox, and no national news in fact. Even local news has some biased stories.

Saw a a promo for ABC news tonight that made me reel from the hypocrisy. Every night they promo negative stories about Trump, so I know they are ripping him apart. After months of this, tonight they promo "Can Trump unite the country?" How can anyone decent and rational listen to such biased tripe?
    Yup, that's where I'm at too, Abbey, just absolutely BURNT OUT on listening to the 24/7 frothing at the mouth, bitching, lying and hyperventilating while trashing our president. The left has turned into a completely irrational fascist group with one and only one intention, to unseat our president. I'm so sick of it I could puke.

23. Thanks Abbey Marie thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Yup, that's where I'm at too, Abbey, just absolutely BURNT OUT on listening to the 24/7 frothing at the mouth, bitching, lying and hyperventilating while trashing our president. The left has turned into a completely irrational fascist group with one and only one intention, to unseat our president. I'm so sick of it I could puke.
    You can get upset if you want to but just remember the reason they're acting like this is because they keep losing at the polls and they have no other options. I'm not upset by them, I enjoy watching them meltdown.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by michiganFats View Post
    You can get upset if you want to but just remember the reason they're acting like this is because they keep losing at the polls and they have no other options. I'm not upset by them, I enjoy watching them meltdown.
    Not upset... DISGUSTED.

They've over done it... a thousand times over.

I used to think democrats were just people who saw things differently than republicans, but still actually loved America. I don't believe they love American now, and I find them absolutely repulsive. Since I have a choice, I chose not to listen to them.
    Last edited by High_Plains_Drifter; 08-15-2017 at 07:33 PM.