Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)

Default Will Sharing a Bed With Your Dogs Come Back to Bite You?

Will Sharing a Bed With Your Dogs Come Back to Bite You? Investigation Finds What's Lurking Under Your Pup's Paws
    Inside Edition
    •September 16, 2017

Pet owners love their dogs, many even sleep with them, like 19-year-old Leah Glatzerman, who is inseparable from her dogs Kevin, Charlie and Sashi.

Read: Agony of the Feet: Shoes Can Bring Dangerous Germs Into Your Home, Investigation Finds

So after a day of playing in the backyard and strolling around the neighborhood with her pooches, Leah admitted that “it's a little scary to think about” what they could be bringing into her bed.

Inside Edition decided to find out by swabbing the dogs’ paws and sending samples to the lab.

Another woman, Shanna Wallace, also sleeps with her two small pups, Scottie and Angel.

At her apartment, Inside Edition applied a florescent marker to track her dogs’ paws then turned off the lights and shined an ultraviolet light onto the floor. Shanna’s apartment glowed with pet paw prints all over.

“Your dogs have been all over this apartment -- all over your floor, all over your coffee table, even on your couch,” Inside Edition Chief Investigative Correspondent Lisa Guerrero told Wallace.

Guerrero swabbed their paws too.

When the results came in, Leah was shocked to find out what was on her dogs' paws.

“Kevin, your retriever, has 10 different types of bacteria and two types of fungus. Sahsi, the poodle, has six. coli different types of bacteria and one fungus,” Guerrero said. “Charlie, the poodle, has eight different types of bacteria and one fungus and guess what, all of your dogs had E. coli.”

“Oh my God, they slept next to me last night," Leah said. "Disgusting."

Guerrero also had to break the news to Shanna.

Read: Doggie DNA Tests: Owners May Not Like the Answers

“For Scottie, we found seven different types of bacteria and one fungus, including one really bad bug that can cause pneumonia, meningitis and urinary tract infections,” Guerrero said.

Shanna’s other dog, Angel, had six different types of bacteria including E.coli.

Shanna was stunned to hear the news.

Surprisingly, both dog owners say they will still let their dogs into the beds, but with new precautions.

“Baby wipes and then wash their feet maybe , they have to sleep with me, I can’t give that up. I'll take the risk,” Shanna told Guerrero.
    When we were kids we lots of dogs--but my Dad had a strict never to be broken rule-- "no dogs inside our house ever"-- not even once!!
    And kids must always wash their hands after playing with the dogs....
    And yes he stated it was about cleanliness and staying healthy..
    He was born in 1901, over century before anything like this ARTICLE NOW REVEALS.

DOG LOVERS WILL NOT LIKE THIS ARTICLE BUT TRUTH IS, THEY ARE A HEALTH RISK IF THEY LIVE INSIDE OF YOUR HOME..
    I love dogs--but now never inside my home. I did that many years ago , broke that rule for my daughter and paid the price..-Tyr
    Last edited by Tyr-Ziu Saxnot; 09-18-2017 at 06:14 AM.
    18 U.S. Code § 2381-Treason Whoever, owing allegiance to the United States, levies war against them or adheres to their enemies, giving them aid and comfort within the United States or elsewhere, is guilty of treason and shall suffer death, or shall be imprisoned not less than five years and fined under this title but not less than $10,000; and shall be incapable of holding any office under the United States.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)

they have to sleep with me, I can't give that up...
    Reminds me of women that have boyfriends/husbands that beat them up and abuse them, but instead of getting away from them they stay with them... because they LOVE them.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    181 Post(s)

Honestly this is one of the major reasons I don't have a dog. And if I ever did, it surely wouldn't be sleeping in my bed. But they are pack animals, and when we live with one, we are their pack. So I would never make it live outside, either.

We don't wear shoes inside for the same reason. The world beneath our feet and paws is pretty gross.
    After the game, the king and the pawn go into the same box - Author unknown

“Unfortunately, the truth is now whatever the media say it is”
    -Abbey

4. Likes High_Plains_Drifter liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Abbey View Post
    Honestly this is one of the major reasons I don't have a dog. And if I ever did, it surely wouldn't be sleeping in my bed. But they are pack animals, and when we live with one, we are their pack. So I would never make it live outside, either.

We don't wear shoes inside for the same reason. The world beneath our feet and paws is pretty gross.
    I like my cat. I've had a few over the years and always had to get rid of them for one reason or another. But when I got out of the military I decided to get one and never get rid of it. That was the best little buddy anyone could have ever asked for. He lived just shy of 20 years old. I have another little fluffy black and white cat now that came crawling out of the weeds one night at a campfire, half starved to death, smelled us cooking hotdogs and her hunger overrode her fear. She's a great little companion too, and cats do their business in a liter box and then clean their feet. She's not allowed on my bed either and there's no problem with that. She'd rather sleep in one of her towers...

Last edited by High_Plains_Drifter; 09-18-2017 at 05:43 PM.

6. Thanks Abbey Marie thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

I'm nuts. Close to certifiable. So take my stance with a grain of salt!

I wanted a Bulldog since I was very young. Well, a monkey first, but that wasn't realistic. In 1998 when we were moving from our last apartment to our first house, it was finally time to get my dog!

Turned out they were like $2500 though, and their life expectancy of 5-9 years or so was too low for my liking. So I find the next ugliest dog, a Pug!

That's when I went out to Long Island and picked him out at a breeders house. There were like 9 of them there, but Jerome climbed up my legs and arm while I knelt, and instantly bit my ear and then gave me the stink eye, while wagging his tail of course. I chose him on the spot.

I succumbed to cuteness and he was in the bed and under the covers with me on night one. The wifey was against it, the but the poor little fella was crying next to the bed!!

But that lead to a bond I've had with no human ever, laugh if you will. He stayed with me under those covers. Got up when I did. He lived to please me, most of the time. When we were temporarily separated, he came and was there for me, and slept on my head. When I moved to Georgia, he came with me. He was in my truck for many a trips, but was always there!

He at rocks, he ate dirt, grass, toys, balls, rubber, bugs & even his own poop on a lovely rare occasion!

I know I take chances with how I am with pets, and animals in general, and how I would be with bigger animals if I had the chance. I just love the buggers.

It's been 2 years since I lost my buddy Jerome. While I sleep nightly with my good old friend Porter, my Chihuahua, I would give a body part to have Jerome back and taking up my bed, and stinking it up. To me they are family. I'd take that chance without a thought, each and every time!

Odd to say there is a "bond" there with an animal, but I truly believe that, and both with Jerome, and my current Chihuahua who is nearing 13 or so.

"2 things that have never let me down, the 1st amendment and boobs" <----- and he forgot puppies!!
    “You know the world is going crazy when the best rapper is a white guy, the best golfer is a black guy, the tallest guy in the NBA is Chinese, the Swiss hold the America's Cup, France is accusing the U.S. of arrogance, Germany doesn't want to go to war, and the three most powerful men in America are named "Bush", "Dick", and "Colin." Need I say more?” - Chris Rock

8. Thanks Kathianne thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jimnyc View Post
    I'm nuts. Close to certifiable. So take my stance with a grain of salt!

I wanted a Bulldog since I was very young. Well, a monkey first, but that wasn't realistic. In 1998 when we were moving from our last apartment to our first house, it was finally time to get my dog!

Turned out they were like $2500 though, and their life expectancy of 5-9 years or so was too low for my liking. So I find the next ugliest dog, a Pug!

That's when I went out to Long Island and picked him out at a breeders house. There were like 9 of them there, but Jerome climbed up my legs and arm while I knelt, and instantly bit my ear and then gave me the stink eye, while wagging his tail of course. I chose him on the spot.

I succumbed to cuteness and he was in the bed and under the covers with me on night one. The wifey was against it, the but the poor little fella was crying next to the bed!!

But that lead to a bond I've had with no human ever, laugh if you will. He stayed with me under those covers. Got up when I did. He lived to please me, most of the time. When we were temporarily separated, he came and was there for me, and slept on my head. When I moved to Georgia, he came with me. He was in my truck for many a trips, but was always there!

He at rocks, he ate dirt, grass, toys, balls, rubber, bugs & even his own poop on a lovely rare occasion!

I know I take chances with how I am with pets, and animals in general, and how I would be with bigger animals if I had the chance. I just love the buggers.

It's been 2 years since I lost my buddy Jerome. While I sleep nightly with my good old friend Porter, my Chihuahua, I would give a body part to have Jerome back and taking up my bed, and stinking it up. To me they are family. I'd take that chance without a thought, each and every time!

Odd to say there is a "bond" there with an animal, but I truly believe that, and both with Jerome, and my current Chihuahua who is nearing 13 or so.

"2 things that have never let me down, the 1st amendment and boobs" <----- and he forgot puppies!!
    Very true, I think most pet owners have a love for their pet that is stronger than any for a person.

I think that's because they love you unconditionally in return for a little attention, no matter what. They just happy to be near you. How many people has anyone ever known like that?
    Last edited by High_Plains_Drifter; 09-18-2017 at 07:40 PM.

10. Likes jimnyc liked this post