Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    181 Post(s)

Default World War II

I was just about to post this, and saw Jim's history post. Funny how that kind of thing happens.

Anyway, I'm taking a class on WWII, and yesterday was a truly fascinating 75 minutes on the Battle of Tarawa. (Of which, I'm ashamed to admit, I'd not heard). Approx. 1700 U.S. killed and 2000 wounded (overwhelmingly Marines). In 3 days.

So, this led me to do some further research. And I discovered this, which my really fantastic University prof did not mention- the US Coast Guard was involved in this incredible operation.

"US Coast Guardsmen ferry supplies past an LCM-3 which has taken a direct hit at Tarawa".

Just wanted to highlight this, plus say that for anyone who hasn't studied this battle, it is fascinating and a great example of our amazing armed forces. And in particular, the bravery of our Marines.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    After the game, the king and the pawn go into the same box - Author unknown

“Unfortunately, the truth is now whatever the media say it is”
    -Abbey

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Abbey View Post
    I was just about to post this, and saw Jim's history post. Funny how that kind of thing happens.

Anyway, I'm taking a class on WWII, and yesterday was a truly fascinating 75 minutes on the Battle of Tarawa. (Of which, I'm ashamed to admit, I'd not heard). Approx. 1700 U.S. killed and 2000 wounded (overwhelmingly Marines). In 3 days.

So, this led me to do some further research. And I discovered this, which my really fantastic University prof did not mention- the US Coast Guard was involved in this incredible operation.

"US Coast Guardsmen ferry supplies past an LCM-3 which has taken a direct hit at Tarawa".

Just wanted to highlight this, plus say that for anyone who hasn't studied this battle, it is fascinating and a great example of our amazing armed forces. And in particular, the bravery of our Marines.
    WW2 was a war for our nation's survival- for if the Axis powers had won--invasion and conquering here would have been the only course they could have taken in order to insure their gains.
    Our Marines and other military forces all had countless numbers of heroes, most not even known today, as their deeds/sacrifices were not even recorded.
    We marvel at the ones were are able to read about. For each one known there are likely several hundred more that are not known, or else known only to a few people.
    Such is the case in every war our military has fought. Americans are known as brave and courageous fighters.....
    Even known now, despite the dems/leftists propagandizing otherwise! Despite their traitor obama apologizing and lying to the entire world for America's evil misdeeds and cowardice..
    I've spent thousands of hours studying history, wars, generals, battles and empires.
    We rate with the very best that history reveals having ever fought. A solid fact.... --Tyr
    18 U.S. Code § 2381-Treason Whoever, owing allegiance to the United States, levies war against them or adheres to their enemies, giving them aid and comfort within the United States or elsewhere, is guilty of treason and shall suffer death, or shall be imprisoned not less than five years and fined under this title but not less than $10,000; and shall be incapable of holding any office under the United States.

3. Thanks Abbey Marie thanked this post
    Likes Abbey Marie liked this post