Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)

Default What man on his right mind would obey orders to sleep on the couch or leave?

On television, Youtube and commercials there is this meme of men sleeping on the couch or in the dog house. Then there's the "Odd Couple" where two men are told to "get out" by their wives and compliantly obey. Why would ANY man do this? Let the woman sleep on the couch or get out if she is not happy. It just seems so obvious. If a man obeys an order by his wife to "get out", he loses access to important paperwork as well as he is abandoning his children. Courts even see it this way. Yes, I know that the woman has the power to hit herself in the head with a skillet and accuse her husband of being a wife beater. Once a woman orders a man to "get out", it's important to understand this as a declaration of war and to gather evidence with that in mind.
    Last edited by tailfins; 09-30-2017 at 02:32 PM.
    Experienced Social Distancer ... waaaay before COVID.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    368 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by tailfins View Post
    On television, Youtube and commercials there is this meme of men sleeping on the couch or in the dog house. Then there's the "Odd Couple" where two men are told to "get out" by their wives and compliantly obey. Why would ANY man do this? Let the woman sleep on the couch or get out if she is not happy. It just seems so obvious. If a man obeys an order by his wife to "get out", he loses access to important paperwork as well as he is abandoning his children. Courts even see it this way. Yes, I know that the woman has the power to hit herself in the head with a skillet and accuse her husband of being a wife beater. Once a woman orders a man to "get out", it's important to understand this as a declaration of war and to gather evidence with that in mind.
    Here's a shocker for you ... it works BOTH ways. I got my stuff, the house and the kid because she abandoned the home.

Do you even have a man card? I suspect you do ... in the Mrs' apron pocket.
    “When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall, one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle.” Edumnd Burke

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)

On television, Youtube and commercials there is this meme of men sleeping on the couch or in the dog house. Then there's the "Odd Couple" where two men are told to "get out" by their wives and compliantly obey. Why would ANY man do this?
    Memo to tailfins: TV shows and commercials are not real life. The Odd Couple was a comedy. It was supposed to be funny. Perhaps you didn't get the message.

I know that Texas is a community property state. That means your wife could leave you tomorrow and end up with half of everything you jointly own. As the primary caretaker, your wife will get custody of your kids. And since she has the kids, she will likely get the house as well. Since you work and she doesn't, you get to pay child support and expenses.

Now you know why most men decide to sleep on the couch instead.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

It's a marriage, it takes compromise from both sides. Neither should be thinking about beatings or evidence. How about when there's a fight, and maybe even if someone ends up on the couch for the evening - the thoughts be of fixing and making up?

A declaration of war? Bad haircut boy in North Korea claims we have declared war on them. Both sound kinda nutty, IMO.
    “You know the world is going crazy when the best rapper is a white guy, the best golfer is a black guy, the tallest guy in the NBA is Chinese, the Swiss hold the America's Cup, France is accusing the U.S. of arrogance, Germany doesn't want to go to war, and the three most powerful men in America are named "Bush", "Dick", and "Colin." Need I say more?” - Chris Rock

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by gabosaurus View Post
    Memo to tailfins: TV shows and commercials are not real life. The Odd Couple was a comedy. It was supposed to be funny. Perhaps you didn't get the message.

I know that Texas is a community property state. That means your wife could leave you tomorrow and end up with half of everything you jointly own. As the primary caretaker, your wife will get custody of your kids. And since she has the kids, she will likely get the house as well. Since you work and she doesn't, you get to pay child support and expenses.

Every man should be aware of that from day one and arrange the finances accordingly. An old friend from New Hampshire taught me to be a pro on that topic. His wife became frigid, about that same time he got laid off from his job and exhausted his unemployment. He cashed in his retirement and spent it on his kids, winning their favor. Once the youngest turned 18, he dumped his wife and after all that careful planning, his now ex-wife got zip, zero, nada.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    181 Post(s)

Anyone who is planning ahead to that extent, deep down knows that something’s not quite right.
    After the game, the king and the pawn go into the same box - Author unknown

“Unfortunately, the truth is now whatever the media say it is”
    -Abbey

7. Thanks Gunny, Tyr-Ziu Saxnot thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Abbey View Post
    Anyone who is planning ahead to that extent, deep down knows that something’s not quite right.
    I think it's just good sense. It evens the score in case things go bad and it removes temptation for a woman to "cash in" her husband. It's also a good approach to landlords and employers. Except for a landlord or employer the plan is to be ready to sue if they play games with your deposit or fire you, respectively. Always have a plan in any human relationship in case someone tries to screw you over. Consider the possibility of being screwed over from ANY human interaction.
    Last edited by tailfins; 10-01-2017 at 03:38 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    181 Post(s)

I think it's just good sense. It evens the score in case things go bad and it removes temptation for a woman to "cash in" her husband. It's also a good approach to landlords and employers. Except for a landlord or employer the plan is to be ready to sue if they play games with your deposit or fire you, respectively. Always have a plan in any human relationship in case someone tries to screw you over. Consider the possibility of being screwed over from ANY human interaction.
    Can't relate to this in marriage. I would never marry someone without integrity. People telegraph who they are in many ways. If somehow you read the person you wanted to marry that wrong, then you weren't paying close enough attention, or decided to only see what you wanted to see.

Oh and btw, we know very well two couples where the husband got the house and contents outright. The women got none of it. And they aren't druggies or alcoholics or anything dangerous to the kids. They were both great moms in fact.
    After the game, the king and the pawn go into the same box - Author unknown

“Unfortunately, the truth is now whatever the media say it is”
    -Abbey

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Abbey View Post
    Can't relate to this in marriage. I would never marry someone without integrity. People telegraph who they are in many ways. If somehow you read the person you wanted to marry that wrong, then you weren't paying close enough attention, or decided to only see what you wanted to see.

Oh and btw, we know very well two couples where the husband got the house and contents outright. The women got none of it. And they aren't druggies or alcoholics or anything dangerous to the kids. They were both great moms in fact.
    I don't think I need to tell anyone who know's me about my Mom, and how I felt about her. She was a great mom! Perfect in my book. Dad as perfect too! My parents were always there for us, for me. I can go on about each, but it's not about who did more or a contest. They were both great parents and mom's and dad's.

Still, there was only one home when it came time to divorce. Dad was awarded full primary custody and the family home. We still saw Mom every weekend, and actually whenever we felt like it since she lived mostly within walking distance. But Dad "won" in court with the house and the kiddos, and kept the car, trailer and other crap, and had to give mom some $$ in return. It all worked out just fine for our family, but I point this out to show that Dad doesn't always get screwed. Nor Mom in our instance.
    “You know the world is going crazy when the best rapper is a white guy, the best golfer is a black guy, the tallest guy in the NBA is Chinese, the Swiss hold the America's Cup, France is accusing the U.S. of arrogance, Germany doesn't want to go to war, and the three most powerful men in America are named "Bush", "Dick", and "Colin." Need I say more?” - Chris Rock

11. Thanks Abbey Marie thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)

So you are planning for your marriage to fail? Sounds mighty non-Christian to me.
    As my husband knows, I take the "til death do us part" portion of the vows very seriously. If I ever want to "cash in" my husband, it will be with a hit man, not a lawyer or accountant.
    If your wife knows that you are planning all these things, she already has grounds for divorce. I believe it is "spousal cruelty." Meaning that one partner treated the other in such a way that the marriage is broken and insupportable.

13. Thanks Abbey Marie thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)

So you are planning for your marriage to fail? Sounds mighty non-Christian to me.
    As my husband knows, I take the "til death do us part" portion of the vows very seriously. If I ever want to "cash in" my husband, it will be with a hit man, not a lawyer or accountant.
    If your wife knows that you are planning all these things, she already has grounds for divorce. I believe it is "spousal cruelty." Meaning that one partner treated the other in such a way that the marriage is broken and insupportable.
    There's nothing cruel about being judgement-proof. Actually I fear healthcare providers more than my wife. It's interesting that you consider zero net worth a form of "spousal cruelty". Don't accumulate wealth and live a rented lifestyle. Spend it as fast as you get it. I will have to tell my wife that I'm committing "spousal cruelty" next time we have a $200 dinner. She will get a kick out of it.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    368 Post(s)

@ the bolded.

Correction to your knowledge of Texas law. If one of the spouses abandons home with no intention of returning, they lose.
    “When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall, one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle.” Edumnd Burke

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    368 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jimnyc View Post
    It's a marriage, it takes compromise from both sides. Neither should be thinking about beatings or evidence. How about when there's a fight, and maybe even if someone ends up on the couch for the evening - the thoughts be of fixing and making up?

A declaration of war? Bad haircut boy in North Korea claims we have declared war on them. Both sound kinda nutty, IMO.
    I must be weird. SEND ME to the couch! No chick flick, no snoring or farting, no eating in the bed something crunchy during the aforementioned chick flick to ensure I can't sleep through one agonizing minute.

MAKE me go downstairs and light a fire and fall asleep to some old, GOOD B&W film without the "Paul Harvey" on the movie. "SEE YOU IN THE MORNING DEAR! HUGS! (yelling cuz she's upstairs )

17. Likes jimnyc liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    368 Post(s)

Every man should be aware of that from day one and arrange the finances accordingly. An old friend from New Hampshire taught me to be a pro on that topic. His wife became frigid, about that same time he got laid off from his job and exhausted his unemployment. He cashed in his retirement and spent it on his kids, winning their favor. Once the youngest turned 18, he dumped his wife and after all that careful planning, his now ex-wife got zip, zero, nada.
    You mean he purchased their "love". No better than a frigid wife playing control with the hoo-hah.

19. Likes jimnyc liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    368 Post(s)

No, it sounds pointless and dumb.

If the arrangements are pre-nup, it's not spousal cruelty. No one forced anyone to sign anything. The pre-nup can be voided if you can prove coercion. Like: "sign this or no marriage". Hard to prove. Unless of course you're as bright as TF and tell everyone .