Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)

Default Korean War veteran Albert Medeiros, 83, served in both the Korean War and the Vietnam

Korean War Poem

Posted on September 9, 2016

The poem A Warriors Blood In His Old Age, by Robert J. Lindley
    is about older veterans of the Korean war. It focuses on the mentality that makes them warriors, the strength that is required of such a person. How the war has affected them and how they live in old age. Life as an older veteran is tough, humbling, and can be lonely. They have endured war and many fellow veterans have passed away. Veterans live a very different life back at home. For them it can be a lonely world, without all of the adrenaline of a combat zone and not many who can relate to them. It is hard for them to find a similar sense of purpose.
    Lindley expresses that we do not always give them enough credit or understanding. This poem consists of five stanzas, each with four lines containing two sentences. The poet repeats the first stanza at the end of the poem. The first and last two lines of each stanza rhyme.
    This poem emphasizes a warrior’s spirit, as each stanza ends with an exclamation mark. Capturing the intensity of the warrior spirit. A common theme in the poem used to represent the amount of sacrifice in a warriors life is the word blood. Lindley writes about the bloodshed that soldiers undergo in combat, they sacrifice a lot for their country.
    Lindley seems to be sending the message that if civilians paid more attention to veterans, their lives and our lives would be better.
    We cannot forget that as a society we live as a whole, we affect each others lives a lot more than we think. It is important to remember the Korean war.

Poem from:

http://www.poetrysoup.com/poem/a_war...old_age_746902

Korean War veteran Albert Medeiros, 83, served in both the Korean War and the Vietnam War, he now lives in the Charlestown retirement community in Catonsville. (Monica Herndon/Baltimore Sun Media Group)

Photo from:

http://darkroom.baltimoresun.com/201...h-anniversary/
    I FOUND THIS WHILE RESEARCHING WAR POEMS/WAR POETRY THIS MORN.
    I am both humbled and honored that this war veteran, has found it noteworthy to cite my poem in a positive light and appreciates its message.
    His analysis is pretty much spot on and his desire to be understood and not vilified as is the case so often these days due to political propaganda and a certain political party's ongoing agenda is quite evident in his sincere words written.
    That this poem served to gift to us this soldier's words is a great honor.
    For I know at least one of my poems has been of aid and touched deeply this man that served his nation and fought in two wars!-Tyr

A Warrior's Blood In His Old Age

Warriors bled, most now are dead and gone
    tales read of blood, guts and dried bone.
    Those that found residing in sad old age
    were few comforts for lost youth's bitter rage!

Tired of waiting for another call to arms
    not satisfied by women's alluring charms.
    Holding onto craziness of courageous times
    of forays into dark lands and hot desert climes!

Waiting for last mark on a white tombstone
    resting in quiet solitude, shadows all alone.
    Warriors bled and gave away such brave hearts
    You will not find that on any military charts!

We that fought not should see deep sacrifices
    thus consider the costs and bloody prices.
    Such they see in vivid dreams of and battle cries
    are memories honored with that heavy sigh!

Warriors bled, most now are dead and gone
    tales read of blood, guts and dried bone.
    Those that found residing in sad old age
    were few comforts for lost youth's bitter rage!

Robert J. Lindley, 1-18-2016

Note- Dedicated to two of my deceased friends, now gone but not forgotten!
    Both decorated combat veterans, one in the Korean War, the other in the Vietnam War and to all their military brethren that have sacrificed so much in order that we may live free...
    Last edited by Tyr-Ziu Saxnot; 10-01-2017 at 09:06 AM.
    18 U.S. Code § 2381-Treason Whoever, owing allegiance to the United States, levies war against them or adheres to their enemies, giving them aid and comfort within the United States or elsewhere, is guilty of treason and shall suffer death, or shall be imprisoned not less than five years and fined under this title but not less than $10,000; and shall be incapable of holding any office under the United States.

2. Likes jimnyc liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

That's cool as hell, Tyr!

"meaning" something to someone when you write poetry is one of the best compliments, IMO.
    “You know the world is going crazy when the best rapper is a white guy, the best golfer is a black guy, the tallest guy in the NBA is Chinese, the Swiss hold the America's Cup, France is accusing the U.S. of arrogance, Germany doesn't want to go to war, and the three most powerful men in America are named "Bush", "Dick", and "Colin." Need I say more?” - Chris Rock

4. Thanks Tyr-Ziu Saxnot thanked this post
    Likes Tyr-Ziu Saxnot liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jimnyc View Post
    That's cool as hell, Tyr!

"meaning" something to someone when you write poetry is one of the best compliments, IMO.
    Thank you Jim. I just sent this message at the linked site.... in hopes that I may get a response....

I am the author of that poem and it is an honor for me that this war hero, thought so highly of it and cited the words written. His analysis is spot on and the sad part is that far too many are either ignorant of or programmed to not give the respect due to those men and women that sacrificed so much to serve this great nation.
    Current political propaganda has vilified war so greatly that it tarnishes the reputation and heroism of men such as, Korean War veteran Albert Medeiros.
    I want to find a way to contact this man and thank him for his service to our nation and his words in referencing the message in my poem.
    I can be contacted at PoetrySoup.com, if any can give me his email address or even phone number.
    I would love to be able to send him the original copy of this poem inked on paper and signed by me.
    God bless,
    Robert J. Lindley
    18 U.S. Code § 2381-Treason Whoever, owing allegiance to the United States, levies war against them or adheres to their enemies, giving them aid and comfort within the United States or elsewhere, is guilty of treason and shall suffer death, or shall be imprisoned not less than five years and fined under this title but not less than $10,000; and shall be incapable of holding any office under the United States.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Tyr-Ziu Saxnot View Post
    Thank you Jim. I just sent this message at the linked site.... in hopes that I may get a response....
    I hope so too!

It's one thing when a fellow soldier or someone of that time that was with them or "lived it" with them - but another when someone younger than them is able to express themselves and write in a manner that brings out memory and emotion. And I suppose everyone has their own set of emotions and memories that can be evoked.
    “You know the world is going crazy when the best rapper is a white guy, the best golfer is a black guy, the tallest guy in the NBA is Chinese, the Swiss hold the America's Cup, France is accusing the U.S. of arrogance, Germany doesn't want to go to war, and the three most powerful men in America are named "Bush", "Dick", and "Colin." Need I say more?” - Chris Rock

7. Thanks Tyr-Ziu Saxnot thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jimnyc View Post
    I hope so too!

It's one thing when a fellow soldier or someone of that time that was with them or "lived it" with them - but another when someone younger than them is able to express themselves and write in a manner that brings out memory and emotion. And I suppose everyone has their own set of emotions and memories that can be evoked.
    I CAN IMAGINE THE GREAT POETRY THAT GUNNY OR OTHERS VETERANS HERE COULD WRITE IF POETRY WAS IN THEIR BLOOD.
    I do my best with my having only read and studied the subject but the famous war poems by men that actually fought, lived it
    and sacrificed so much awe me so deeply, that I haven't adequate words to properly express .

I hope some here may visit that link and perhaps leave comments addressed to that man that sacrificed so much and clearly expressed his loneliness and disappointment in how soldiers are so oft badly treated in these current times of rabid anti-war sentiments.-Tyr