Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

Default Why ‘thoughts and prayers’ is starting to sound so profane

Why do these nitwits think you can't say a prayer AND take appropriate action to help people? Dim bulbs. You know it's a bunch of crap as soon as you get to the line about the NRA and christians.

---

Why ‘thoughts and prayers’ is starting to sound so profane

It’s become a sort of twisted American ritual: A lone white male shooter opens fire on a crowd of people. Americans cry out for someone to do something and are met with shoulder shrugs, mumblings about “the price of freedom” and assurances that the people elected to protect them are sending their “thoughts and prayers.”

Politicians have managed to make a once benign, if not comforting, phrase sound almost profane.

It’s not that there is anything wrong with praying for those who are suffering. In fact, if you are a religious believer, it’s an imperative. I’m not in the camp that dismisses prayer as superstitious mumbo-jumbo embraced only by the unenlightened. I’m a person who prays and who has been prayed for and knows its power.

But it’s not enough. Nor is it what we hire politicians to do. We elect them to fix problems, enact policies and keep us safe.

Instead, we have elected officials — many of them self-described conservative Christians who also happen to take money from the National Rifle Association — using cries for “thoughts and prayers” as some sort of inoculation against responsibility or action when it comes to gun violence.

Rest - https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.ee1fb3198a77
    “You know the world is going crazy when the best rapper is a white guy, the best golfer is a black guy, the tallest guy in the NBA is Chinese, the Swiss hold the America's Cup, France is accusing the U.S. of arrogance, Germany doesn't want to go to war, and the three most powerful men in America are named "Bush", "Dick", and "Colin." Need I say more?” - Chris Rock

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    145 Post(s)

Nothing wrong, but it's useless to a godless heathen like myself. Save your prayers and do something.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by pete311 View Post
    Nothing wrong, but it's useless to a godless heathen like myself. Save your prayers and do something.
    Perhaps, but the one minute or less to say a prayer doesn't get in the way of helping folks, in any way at all.

And you are a heathen, you silly fucker.
    “You know the world is going crazy when the best rapper is a white guy, the best golfer is a black guy, the tallest guy in the NBA is Chinese, the Swiss hold the America's Cup, France is accusing the U.S. of arrogance, Germany doesn't want to go to war, and the three most powerful men in America are named "Bush", "Dick", and "Colin." Need I say more?” - Chris Rock

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    145 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jimnyc View Post
    Perhaps, but the one minute or less to say a prayer doesn't get in the way of helping folks, in any way at all.

And you are a heathen, you silly fucker.
    Sure, but the writer is basically saying it feels like politicians use it as a crutch instead of actually sitting down and solving a problem.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

Sure, but the writer is basically saying it feels like politicians use it as a crutch instead of actually sitting down and solving a problem.
    The writer is wrong, as explained. The writer just doesn't like to hear prayers is what it sounds like to me. Tough noogies.

6. Thanks Abbey Marie thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    369 Post(s)

Why do these nitwits think you can't say a prayer AND take appropriate action to help people? Dim bulbs. You know it's a bunch of crap as soon as you get to the line about the NRA and christians.

---

Why ‘thoughts and prayers’ is starting to sound so profane

It’s become a sort of twisted American ritual: A lone white male shooter opens fire on a crowd of people. Americans cry out for someone to do something and are met with shoulder shrugs, mumblings about “the price of freedom” and assurances that the people elected to protect them are sending their “thoughts and prayers.”

Politicians have managed to make a once benign, if not comforting, phrase sound almost profane.

It’s not that there is anything wrong with praying for those who are suffering. In fact, if you are a religious believer, it’s an imperative. I’m not in the camp that dismisses prayer as superstitious mumbo-jumbo embraced only by the unenlightened. I’m a person who prays and who has been prayed for and knows its power.

But it’s not enough. Nor is it what we hire politicians to do. We elect them to fix problems, enact policies and keep us safe.

Instead, we have elected officials — many of them self-described conservative Christians who also happen to take money from the National Rifle Association — using cries for “thoughts and prayers” as some sort of inoculation against responsibility or action when it comes to gun violence.

Rest - https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.ee1fb3198a77
    We hire politicians to fix things. Let me know when they're going to start.

We DON'T hire them to fix things that aren't broken; which, seems to be all they ever want to fix. "What is the crowd knee-jerking to this week? We need a new law." That's what all this whining amounts to. I know ... let's make it double or triple illegal to commit murder.

There's just no hope for morons that want to blame the tool and the person using it. Might as well outlaw my entire garage. can kill with anything in it starting with the pencil.

Typical over-reactionary shit just like 9/11. The left cries like babies so we get the Patriot Act and they bitch about that. Nothing's ever enough for the left when something like this happens where the left is concerned. Well, my tax payer dollars are NOT paying for an armed bodyguard (you know -- with a gun) to protect each person on the left when they can just grow some balls.
    “When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall, one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle.” Edumnd Burke

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    145 Post(s)

The writer is wrong, as explained. The writer just doesn't like to hear prayers is what it sounds like to me. Tough noogies.
    Whatever, it's an opinion piece. He thinks one thing, you the other, what's the point.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    369 Post(s)

Whatever, it's an opinion piece. He thinks one thing, you the other, what's the point.
    Yep. And I gave mine. That doesn't make mine the whatever. It makes yours stupid.
    “When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall, one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle.” Edumnd Burke

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    145 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gunny View Post
    Yep. And I gave mine. That doesn't make mine the whatever. It makes yours stupid.
    pretty sure I wasn't talking to you, whatever

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    369 Post(s)

pretty sure I wasn't talking to you, whatever
    Pretty sure you put it on the board. I liken "thoughts and prayers" to leftwingers telling me they support the troops but not the war. About the same as disrespecting the Colors of the US isn't disrespecting the troops. You support them, just not the flag they fight for.

Why bother? FTR, the left is WAY quicker to start throwing out disingenuous, patronizing bullshit than people on the right. Either way, don't bother if you don't mean it.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)

A lone white male shooter opens fire on a crowd of people.
    Leave it to some POS ass clown at the washpo to write something like that. They were pretty quiet about the BLACK guy who recently shot up a WHITE church.

That's why I hate these two faced, cock suckers. If it wasn't for double standards and lies, they wouldn't really have much to say.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)

We will make guns illegal and then this will happen again.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gunny View Post
    Pretty sure you put it on the board. I liken "thoughts and prayers" to leftwingers telling me they support the troops but not the war. About the same as disrespecting the Colors of the US isn't disrespecting the troops. You support them, just not the flag they fight for.

Why bother? FTR, the left is WAY quicker to start throwing out disingenuous, patronizing bullshit than people on the right. Either way, don't bother if you don't mean it.
    I do love that. " I was not talking to you. ". Go to pm then.

15. Thanks Gunny thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)

petey, so, your age is 666, your address is 666. That says it all, and all we need to know about you.

No wonder you are so miserable, confused, and lonely all the time. I apologize for wasting my time, and everyone else's here...trying to communicate with the devil worshipper you are. Not even air-conditioning is good for you.
    I love to make Liberals Cry, and Whine.
    So, this is for them.
    GOD BLESS AMERICA - IN GOD WE TRUST !