Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)

Default Is There Another AUDIOPHILE Here...?

I am an INCURABLE audiophile. I have loved SOUND since I got my hands on a TRANSISTOR RADIO way back in probably 1965 and heard the difference between FM and AM. I couldn't believe FM could sound so much better, and it has been a passion of mine since to chase down the equipment to have the best sound. I saw friends that had "big speakers" in stereos and real to reals, cassettes, turn tables and the watched as the industry improved. I always had the latest in sound in my cars and tried to have the latest and the greatest, like the Craig POWER PLAY long ago that played 8 tracks, and invariably you'd have to have the pack of matches folded up stuck in the player underneath the tape so it would only play the one track. Well, I have read, studied and spent thousands of dollars on what I have now, and most of my friends see it and think I'm nuts, but they do stand in awe when they hear it.

List: Home theater: Stereo:

Denon - Flagship model AVR4810CI Home Theater Receiver
    oppo - UDP-203 4K Disc Player
    LG - 4K UHD 7700HDR tv
    Parasound Model 2250 V.2 Stereo amplifier
    Bowers & Wilkins CM10 S1 front L/R speakers
    Bowers & Wilkkins Centre 2 S2 center channel speaker
    Bowers & Wilkins DM602 S3 surround speakers
    Audioquest Vodka HDMI interconnents
    Custom made 8 guage shielded speaker cables with silver solder

Sorry the pics are fuzzy... I hate phone cameras...
    Last edited by High_Plains_Drifter; 10-09-2017 at 09:29 PM.

2. Likes LongTermGuy liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)

The people at http://www.audioadvisor.com/ are super good people, very knowledgable if you ever have the notion to buy some upgraded sound components. Ask for Caan, tell 'em Tom told you to call.
    Last edited by High_Plains_Drifter; 10-09-2017 at 09:36 PM.

Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    139 Post(s)

I used to be into audio. My preference and budget reached only to the level of Klipsch Forte IIs, Carver amplification, adcom pre-amp, and I forgot the brand of CD player and whatnot. What i've been looking at lately is vintage stuff. I hope to find some while I'm here, then have it converted to 110v so I can return with it.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by darin View Post
    I used to be into audio. My preference and budget reached only to the level of Klipsch Forte IIs, Carver amplification, adcom pre-amp, and I forgot the brand of CD player and whatnot. What i've been looking at lately is vintage stuff. I hope to find some while I'm here, then have it converted to 110v so I can return with it.
    Klipsch and Carver have seen their better days. Adcom still makes some very nice stuff. I'd be very tempted to buy an Adcom processor or preamp.

My dream components are pretty much McIntosh, but my pockets aren't quite that deep, not for new stuff anyway right now. Maybe someday when I'm all done wrenching in my shop I'll have an auction and sell off some of my expensive goodies and go hog wild and buy some of that world class dream stuff... one day... maybe... but I'd definitely pop for the flagship Bowers & Wilkins Diamond series speakers. B&W have been used in the legendary Abby Roads recording studio ever sine the days when the Beatles used to record there, and I'm definitely impressed with the Bowers & Wilkins I have. I have a pair of DM604 S3's in the shop powered by a Denon AVR2809CI. These newest series 3 B&W Diamonds are drop dead gorgeous though...

Last edited by High_Plains_Drifter; 10-10-2017 at 03:24 AM.

Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    139 Post(s)

I love Macintosh stuff. It sounds wonderful. My carver and admcoms are circa 1992; my klipsch were as well.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)

I love Macintosh stuff. It sounds wonderful. My carver and admcoms are circa 1992; my klipsch were as well.
    The Best Buy in Madison has a Magnolia Theater in it and they have three demo rooms, one is full of McIntosh... I go and DROOL over the stuff a couple times a year. I've heard other ultra high end components at trade shows, like Living Voice speakers and such, but we're talking so much money that you have to be FILTHY rich to afford that stuff. I'd have to win the lottery before I could play in that ball park. Frankly, I don't think the cost is commensurate to the sound with much ultra high end audio, but you're paying for "pretty" too. I don't think I've ever heard an amp sound any better than a McIntosh, but they're 2,000 watt mono blocks are as pricey as anything else, like $35,000 a pop. Not going to happen...

Last edited by High_Plains_Drifter; 10-10-2017 at 03:54 AM.

Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    139 Post(s)

In a couple months I'll be flea-marketing and antique-storing my way through parts of what was East Germany - hoping for 1960s-era tube-type amps and what not. I'm thinking - if I can find something cool - I'll go back to Klipsch with the horn-loaded drivers for my audio - because it's old-school tech. And I like the rawness.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)

In a couple months I'll be flea-marketing and antique-storing my way through parts of what was East Germany - hoping for 1960s-era tube-type amps and what not. I'm thinking - if I can find something cool - I'll go back to Klipsch with the horn-loaded drivers for my audio - because it's old-school tech. And I like the rawness.
    Tubes are analog, and they sound WONDERFUL. If you can find some old tube McIntosh... GRAB IT! I love tube amps. In fact grab anything tube. There's a huge sect that loves old school. Even vinyl is making a huge come back.

10. Thanks darin thanked this post