Rick neglected to tell me this little piece of history while I was in this very town. In and around, a very small town situated along the Talkeetna river. Seems like a little tourist district/trap that I would move to in a second if I could!!

Anyway, here is a picture of their mayor, and it's legit.

Meet Mayor Stubbs:

This Is The Single Craziest Thing You Never Knew Happened In Alaska

If you live in Alaska, then you may or may not know that the town of Talkeetna has a cat acting as honorary mayor. That’s right, a kitty cat. Stubbs, to be exact, is the female feline mayor of this tiny Alaskan town.

Stubbs was born in 1997, the same year she stepped into office. Seeing as it's 2016, that means she has been the official mayor of Talkeetna for 20 years now. That's quite a big deal... In fact, Stubbs is a major tourist attraction since many people can't believe that a cat is actually the mayor of this Alaskan town.

The history of how Stubbs became mayor is quite interesting. You may know of the popular general store in Talkeetna called Nagley's - well, in 1997 the owner, Lauri Stec, found Stubbs in a box along with a whole litter of kittens in the parking lot of Nagley's. She claims to have picked Stubbs from the bunch because she didn't have a tail.

Jokingly, the story explains that Stubbs was nominated as a write-in because no one liked any of the running candidates... granted no other candidates were running since Talkeetna doesn't actually have a major, but clearly people loved this cat. Now Nagley's General Store also serves as Stubbs' office for... you know, all of his honorary duties and such.

If you want to meet Stubbs, it's said that every morning she makes her way over to a popular restaurant in Talkeetna for a sip of water and a bit of catnip.

Who would have thought that a cat could’ve ever become a mayor of a town?! Some crazy things seem to happen in Alaska.

http://www.onlyinyourstate.com/alask...-cat-mayor-ak/