Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    201 Post(s)

Default Democrats Yelp as Trump Upholds Constitution

Another great article from NR today... good to see that there's at least a little recognition, even if the MSM won't cover it.

To make one-size-fits-all laws like Obamacare work, Democrats have had to circumvent the Constitution, paving the way for easy challenges by Trump and congressional Republicans.

Donald Trump is criticized, often justly, for misstatements of facts and failure to understand the details of public policy. But in two of his most recent controversial actions, he has taken stands upholding the rule of law and undoing the lawless behavior of his most recent predecessor.

The question now is whether the author of The Art of the Deal — and congressional Republicans and Democrats — can maneuver and compromise on these issues in ways that produce sensible public policy.

The first action in question was Trump’s September 5 announcement that he would withdraw Barack Obama’s Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals program, which gave immigrants brought to the United States illegally when they were children protection from deportation.

Obama acted despite his initial explanation that the president only has the authority to faithfully execute laws, not to make them. So DACA was dressed up with a fig-leaf argument that he was only exercising the kind of discretion prosecutors employ when they choose to bring one case and not another.

A nearly identical argument was rejected by federal courts considering the Deferred Action for Parents of Americans and Lawful Permanent Residents program — which extended protection to undocumented immigrants with kids who are U.S. citizens — decisions left in place by the Supreme Court last year. So both DAPA and DACA looked like dead ducks legally anyway.

The second of Trump’s actions was his October 12 statement that he would suspend cost-sharing-reduction (CSR) payments to health-insurance companies. The Obama administration had been making CSR payments since 2014 even though Obamacare’s Section 1401 does not appropriate the money for the payments authorized in Section 1402.

This was blatantly unconstitutional. “No Money shall be drawn from the Treasury, but in Consequence of Appropriations made by Law,” states Article 1, Section 9 of the Constitution. The House of Representatives sued, and in May 2016, U.S. District Judge Rosemary Collyer ruled that the billions paid in subsidies were illegal.

Administration lawyers made complex, sophisticated arguments that Obama’s clearly illegal actions were actually legal. I’m a graduate of Yale Law School; I know how this is done. Many Americans suspect that condescending elite law-school graduates are contemptuous of them and their naďve belief that words mean what they say. My experience is that those suspicions are well-founded.
    More : http://www.nationalreview.com/articl...rate-democrats
    Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum

2. Thanks revelarts thanked this post
    Likes LongTermGuy, jimnyc liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    126 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by NightTrain View Post
    Another great article from NR today... good to see that there's at least a little recognition, even if the MSM won't cover it.

More : http://www.nationalreview.com/articl...rate-democrats
    very good points and constitutional moves by Trump mentioned here.

But I hope he's not making the same type of unconstitutional actions concerning health care by making up "regulations" for insurance companies by using EOs.
    At this point it seems that he is.

so in both Obama's and Trump's cases the motivation doesn't seem to be "getting back to the constitution" but getting their way.
    Last edited by revelarts; 10-21-2017 at 08:37 AM.
    It is proper to take alarm at the first experiment on our liberties. The freeman of America did not wait till usurped power had strengthened itself by exercise, and entangled the question in precedents. James Madison
    Live as free people, yet without employing your freedom as a pretext for wickedness; but live at all times as servants of God.
    1 Peter 2:16

4. Likes jimnyc liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by revelarts View Post
    very good points and constitutional moves by Trump mentioned here.

But I hope he's not making the same type of unconstitutional actions concerning health care by making up "regulations" for insurance companies by using EOs.
    At this point it seems that he is.

so in both Obama's and Trump's cases the motivation doesn't seem to be "getting back to the constitution" but getting their way.
    Can I ask you a question without it turning into a debate or argument? There's another article, and have been many, but one from yesterday showing that Trump has been even lessening his own executive powers and forcing the removal of regulations when another one is created? I understand discussion being created from bad executive moves and things seen as unconstitutional, but we don't see a lot of talk or acknowledgement when Trump does such positive things. (not just you my friend)
    “You know the world is going crazy when the best rapper is a white guy, the best golfer is a black guy, the tallest guy in the NBA is Chinese, the Swiss hold the America's Cup, France is accusing the U.S. of arrogance, Germany doesn't want to go to war, and the three most powerful men in America are named "Bush", "Dick", and "Colin." Need I say more?” - Chris Rock

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    126 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jimnyc View Post
    Can I ask you a question without it turning into a debate or argument? There's another article, and have been many, but one from yesterday showing that Trump has been even lessening his own executive powers and forcing the removal of regulations when another one is created? I understand discussion being created from bad executive moves and things seen as unconstitutional, but we don't see a lot of talk or acknowledgement when Trump does such positive things. (not just you my friend)
    I’m not sure what the question is Jim.
    But If Trump is removing some unconstitutional regulations I'll give him full credit for it... every time I'm aware of it. And hope he continues doing MORE.
    And if Trump is removing some regulations that are in fact under his constitutional discretionary authority... that I think are nogood/unfair/unjust/ ... then I will applaud those actions as well.

Just as i would with Obama or Bush.

it's the partisans of both sides that can't seem to see ANYTHING that Trump or Obama or Bush or Clinton did as any good.

Some time ago I ask folks here to name a few things that Obama did that were good. NO ONE would or could give any examples.
    So it's clear to me that it's a problem for many (most?) Republicans and Democrats to acknowledge good actions of those of the other party. And since the media is bias left/establishment and ratings whores they are not really keen on reporting positive regulatory Bipartisan news, when it can instead get more eyeballs by just fanning the partisan flames with BS twitter “reactions” and counter reactions.
    Last edited by revelarts; 10-21-2017 at 09:46 AM.
    It is proper to take alarm at the first experiment on our liberties. The freeman of America did not wait till usurped power had strengthened itself by exercise, and entangled the question in precedents. James Madison
    Live as free people, yet without employing your freedom as a pretext for wickedness; but live at all times as servants of God.
    1 Peter 2:16

7. Likes jimnyc liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by revelarts View Post
    I’m not sure what the question is Jim.
    Simplified: I just wish that while he gets bashed for things many see as reaching at times, he would also get credit and kudos when he does the opposite.
    “You know the world is going crazy when the best rapper is a white guy, the best golfer is a black guy, the tallest guy in the NBA is Chinese, the Swiss hold the America's Cup, France is accusing the U.S. of arrogance, Germany doesn't want to go to war, and the three most powerful men in America are named "Bush", "Dick", and "Colin." Need I say more?” - Chris Rock

9. Thanks LongTermGuy thanked this post
    Likes LongTermGuy liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jimnyc View Post
    Simplified: I just wish that while he gets bashed for things many see as reaching at times, he would also get credit and kudos when he does the opposite.

Agree Jimmy....But...he will never get "credit" for anything...Its the anti-Trump shock that he Kicked "their" @ss....He beat all the Repubs...and spanked the leftist...."They" ar all still crying...bitching ...complaning and still in shock.....

Last edited by LongTermGuy; 10-21-2017 at 11:03 AM.