Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    139 Post(s)

Default Reasons Today’s Kids Are Bored At School, Feel Entitled, Have Little Patience

This should be mandatory training during every birth.

http://deeprootsathome.com/kids-bored-entitled/

Reasons Today’s Kids Are Bored At School, Feel Entitled, Have Little Patience & Few Real Friends

2. Kids get Everything The Moment They Want It

“I am Hungry!!” “In a sec I will stop at the drive thru” “I am Thirsty!” “Here is a vending machine.” “I am bored!” “Use my phone!” The ability to delay gratification is one of the key factors for future success. We have the best intentions — to make our children happy — but unfortunately, we make them happy at the moment but miserable in the long term. To be able to delay gratification means to be able to function under stress. Our children are gradually becoming less equipped to deal with even minor stressors, which eventually become huge obstacles to their success in life.

The inability to delay gratification is often seen in classrooms, malls, restaurants, and toy stores the moment the child hears “No” because parents have taught their child’s brain to get what it wants right away.
    3. Kids Rule The World

“My son doesn’t like vegetables.” “She doesn’t like going to bed early.” “He doesn’t like to eat breakfast.” “She doesn’t like toys, but she is very good at her iPad” “He doesn’t want to get dressed on his own.” “She is too lazy to eat on her own.” This is what I hear from parents all the time. Since when do children dictate to us how to parent them? If we leave it all up to them, all they are going to do is eat macaroni and cheese and bagels with cream cheese, watch TV, play on their tablets, and never go to bed. What good are we doing them by giving them what they WANT when we know that it is not GOOD for them? Without proper nutrition and a good night’s sleep, our kids come to school irritable, anxious, and inattentive. In addition, we send them the wrong message. They learn they can do what they want and not do what they don’t want. The concept of “need to do” is absent. Unfortunately, in order to achieve our goals in our lives, we have to do what’s necessary, which may not always be what we want to do. For example, if a child wants to be an A student, he needs to study hard. If he wants to be a successful soccer player, he needs to practice every day. Our children know very well what they want, but have a very hard time doing what is necessary to achieve that goal. This results in unattainable goals and leaves the kids disappointed.
    4. Endless Fun

We have created an artificial fun world for our children. There are no dull moments. The moment it becomes quiet, we run to entertain them again, because otherwise, we feel that we are not doing our parenting duty. We live in two separate worlds. They have their “fun“ world, and we have our “work” world. Why aren’t children helping us in the kitchen or with laundry? Why don’t they tidy up their toys? This is basic monotonous work that trains the brain to be workable and function under “boredom,” which is the same “muscle” that is required to be eventually teachable at school. When they come to school and it is time for handwriting their answer is “I can’t. It is too hard. Too boring.” Why? Because the workable “muscle” is not getting trained through endless fun. It gets trained through work.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by darin View Post
    This should be mandatory training during every birth.

http://deeprootsathome.com/kids-bored-entitled/

Reasons Today’s Kids Are Bored At School, Feel Entitled, Have Little Patience & Few Real Friends
    Great article... I'm sending that to my son who has a 6 year old.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    145 Post(s)

My wife is a Montessori teacher and it's opened my eyes to how terrible our current system is of making kids sit quietly in chairs for 8 hours all working on the same thing. It goes against their biology.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by pete311 View Post
    My wife is a Montessori teacher and it's opened my eyes to how terrible our current system is of making kids sit quietly in chairs for 8 hours all working on the same thing. It goes against their biology.
    My son went to Montessori, and it was WELL worth the money. Public schools seem to suck anymore, and the teacher to kids ratio was nice at Montessori, and they seemed more interested in teaching the kids as opposed to being baby sitters and just passing everyone along to the next grade.
    “You know the world is going crazy when the best rapper is a white guy, the best golfer is a black guy, the tallest guy in the NBA is Chinese, the Swiss hold the America's Cup, France is accusing the U.S. of arrogance, Germany doesn't want to go to war, and the three most powerful men in America are named "Bush", "Dick", and "Colin." Need I say more?” - Chris Rock

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    181 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by pete311 View Post
    Yet this very system has for decades upon decades turned out capable adults and even folks who excel in difficult fields of study.

I would agree that our current city public schools are not doing well, but for that I blame the inattentive parents who don't instill a value for education or the need to respect any authority.
    After the game, the king and the pawn go into the same box - Author unknown

“Unfortunately, the truth is now whatever the media say it is”
    -Abbey

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    145 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Abbey View Post
    Yet this very system has for decades upon decades turned out capable adults and even folks who excel in difficult fields of study.

I would agree that our current city public schools are not doing well, but for that I blame the inattentive parents who don't instill a value for education or the need to respect any authority.
    Parents are a big part no doubt. Many expect the school to do everything. However school pedagogy philosophy is outdated and ineffective. College entrance for high school graduates is okay at 66% but there is still a 50% drop out rate. So yeah, we have the population numbers where many will excel, but there are far more that don't reach their potential. oh and my wife has worked for private schools that should be shut down. Private is not synonymous for quality.
    Last edited by pete311; 10-27-2017 at 09:54 AM.

Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    139 Post(s)

I'm with Abbey - the root of the problem is bad parenting.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Default Anyone Born With a Silver Spoon in His Mouth Will Always Speak With a Forked Tongue

Quote Originally Posted by Abbey View Post

It's not the parents' job to encourage study. My parents despised sports, but if I had had any great talent, their hostility wouldn't have kept me from reaching my maximum potential. Does a basketball coach demonstrate a layup, and then tell his team, "Now go home and practice this. I hope your parents care about how well you play and keep after you to put some effort into it"? Coaches are not only the only responsible teachers, they are also the only teachers held responsible.

Those who would be nobodies without Daddy's Money are behind blaming the parents for everything. To them, that justifies Daddy setting them up halfway to the finish line. But if we have to do it on our own, so must they. They get in our way and must be removed.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by The Sage of Main Street View Post
    It's not the parents' job to encourage study. My parents despised sports, but if I had had any great talent, their hostility wouldn't have kept me from reaching my maximum potential. Does a basketball coach demonstrate a layup, and then tell his team, "Now go home and practice this. I hope your parents care about how well you play and keep after you to put some effort into it"? Coaches are not only the only responsible teachers, they are also the only teachers held responsible.

Those who would be nobodies without Daddy's Money are behind blaming the parents for everything. To them, that justifies Daddy setting them up halfway to the finish line. But if we have to do it on our own, so must they. They get in our way and must be removed.
    There's a HUGE difference between sports & education. I can understand parents not being on top of the kids latest sports, but it IS a parents responsibility to make sure their kid gets to school and gets an education. And it IS their responsibility to ensure they do their homework and all that is necessary to get good grades. And of course it's their job and responsibility to have their kids study for tests and the like.
    “You know the world is going crazy when the best rapper is a white guy, the best golfer is a black guy, the tallest guy in the NBA is Chinese, the Swiss hold the America's Cup, France is accusing the U.S. of arrogance, Germany doesn't want to go to war, and the three most powerful men in America are named "Bush", "Dick", and "Colin." Need I say more?” - Chris Rock

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    181 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by The Sage of Main Street View Post

Don't know you, so welcome.
    But I am agog at your first sentence. Wonder what you think a parent’s job is?
    After the game, the king and the pawn go into the same box - Author unknown

“Unfortunately, the truth is now whatever the media say it is”
    -Abbey

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)

Default Imo

Until modern day parents learn the harsh reality of Tough Love, and accept that Children and Parents are NOT Best Friends, but rather the Mother & Father of the child, or children who must TEACH, and Present only the Highest Examples of personal responsibility that can only be shown through Personal Example, and demonstrating what the Real Life Consequences of daily life really are.
    I believe it's a safe bet Today, to describe most school age children as those Animals the parents send off every day to the BABYSITTER, called a teacher.
    And, if you consider how technically advanced our children have become today. Holding a device that allows them to COMMUNICATE without any Eye Contact, or Spoken Words....IN PERSON to other children, or adults (teachers), until the BATTERY dies....we will keep generating a Society of DRONES who will never learn beyond the quick little 3 letter acronyms we all use today....like LOL, and OMG.
    The internet, and electronics are both the highlight, and lowlight of a society that will remain uneducated, and irresponsible for their own actions.
    And that's the way this Tired, Old, Seventy year old sees it.
    I love to make Liberals Cry, and Whine.
    So, this is for them.
    GOD BLESS AMERICA - IN GOD WE TRUST !

Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    139 Post(s)

When your signature is three times the scrolling-distance of your posts...might wanna tidy that up.
    “… the greatest detractor from high performance is fear: fear that you are not prepared, fear that you are in over your head, fear that you are not worthy, and ultimately, fear of failure. If you can eliminate that fear—not through arrogance or just wishing difficulties away, but through hard work and preparation—you will put yourself in an incredibly powerful position to take on the challenges you face" - Pete Carroll.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)

When your signature is three times the scrolling-distance of your posts...might wanna tidy that up.

Or, maybe I like it. Which is why it is so long. Any rules on length of signatures? If so. I will follow.
    So, this is for them.

Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    139 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by aboutime View Post
    Or, maybe I like it. Which is why it is so long. Any rules on length of signatures? If so. I will follow.
    well - yeah - we did awhile ago when people were getting carried away. From my perspective It's not about rules it's about courtesy to others. It's about being a responsible adult on a forum and keeping the "look at me" to a minimum.

I mean - just deleting your spacing - maybe putting things inline vs stacked - that'd probably clean up things. Might give you more credibility too.
    “… the greatest detractor from high performance is fear: fear that you are not prepared, fear that you are in over your head, fear that you are not worthy, and ultimately, fear of failure. If you can eliminate that fear—not through arrogance or just wishing difficulties away, but through hard work and preparation—you will put yourself in an incredibly powerful position to take on the challenges you face" - Pete Carroll.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)

well - yeah - we did awhile ago when people were getting carried away. From my perspective It's not about rules it's about courtesy to others. It's about being a responsible adult on a forum and keeping the "look at me" to a minimum.

I mean - just deleting your spacing - maybe putting things inline vs stacked - that'd probably clean up things. Might give you more credibility too.
    It would be nice if the courtesy flowed both ways here. As for credibility. I'm not worried about that. Those who have none, pretend NOT to read my posts; then repeat what I have said. I changed it. Now I'll wait for the next complaint.
    So, this is for them.