Quote Originally Posted by darin View Post
And since hell is or will be cast into fire and hell and death will be no more, hell isn't something we should use to fear-people into learning about God.
first of all, that wasn't what the question was.....second, its not about fearing people into learning about God.......the Bible tells us what God is offering and tells us the end result of our choices......if you are only willing to love because you're scared of the consequences, what is the value of your love?.....that's the very result God's actions are designed to avoid......

Quote Originally Posted by High_Plains_Drifter View Post
So....

"24 “But woe to you who are rich, for you have received your consolation." ...

...means that God meant the rich will go to hell? Hmmm... what I see that as saying is the richer you are here on earth in life, the poorer you'll be in heaven, because like it says, you've received your consolation already here on earth. I didn't get that it means the rich will go to hell... I don't see that.

That's my two cents.

being "poor" in heaven wouldn't be woe......the sermon on the mount describes the difference between those who were blessed and those who were not.......do you recall what distinguished those two groups in the sermon?.......