Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)

Default Just Threw My Back Out....

Was boxing up this new amp I had bought that SCREWED UP, wasn't even lifting anything, just bending over. It didn't hit like being stabbed, instead it just started hurting, not all of a sudden but came on pretty fast, to the point where I went right to my knees. Been hurting as bad as it's ever hurt before, can hardly walk. Had to go out to the shop and get this big walking stick I made just to hobble around the house. Took 3 oxycodones and I'm working on my second stiff whiskey and Coke. I'm really hoping this isn't one of those times when it lasts for weeks, but feels better in a few days.

Anybody else lucky enough to have back problems?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by High_Plains_Drifter View Post
    Was boxing up this new amp I had bought that SCREWED UP, wasn't even lifting anything, just bending over. It didn't hit like being stabbed, instead it just started hurting, not all of a sudden but came on pretty fast, to the point where I went right to my knees. Been hurting as bad as it's ever hurt before, can hardly walk. Had to go out to the shop and get this big walking stick I made just to hobble around the house. Took 3 oxycodones and I'm working on my second stiff whiskey and Coke. I'm really hoping this isn't one of those times when it lasts for weeks, but feels better in a few days.

I've been very careful since I was 30, until that day I'd never had a twinge of back problem. That day though? Making our bed, gathered up the comforter to cover from bottom up, let go and Ummmphf! Down on the ground, only a 7 month old crawling baby with me at home. Dad and other two at 4 soccer games.

I crawled to the baby and closed the door.

After one failed attempt at Dr. office, 3 scripts, but no pain relief; off to ER. 3 herniated discs-traction for 10 days.

It's been fine ever since, with occasional twinge, which makes me stop dead and be very, very careful. I was told then, over 30 years ago, if 3 ruptured like that again, surgery would be necessary.

"The government is a child that has found their parents credit card, and spends knowing that they never have to reconcile the bill with their own money"-Shannon Churchill

3. Thanks High_Plains_Drifter thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

Yup, join the group of us injured! Likely getting old and some aging muscles got stretched or bruised easily.

Tylenol. Advil. Stay off your feet and get a tablet or cell phone for posting. Take some hot baths. Take a week or 2.
    “You know the world is going crazy when the best rapper is a white guy, the best golfer is a black guy, the tallest guy in the NBA is Chinese, the Swiss hold the America's Cup, France is accusing the U.S. of arrogance, Germany doesn't want to go to war, and the three most powerful men in America are named "Bush", "Dick", and "Colin." Need I say more?” - Chris Rock

5. Thanks High_Plains_Drifter thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    181 Post(s)

Geez, sorry! Feel better soon.
    After the game, the king and the pawn go into the same box - Author unknown

“Unfortunately, the truth is now whatever the media say it is”
    -Abbey

7. Thanks High_Plains_Drifter thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)

Well... here I am... 10:43 in SW WI... and I've had a few drinks plus the 3 oxycodone... I'm not in any debilitating pain anymore, but I attribute that to the oxy and whiskey. This isn't the first time I've had an episode of back pain, but it's certainly the worst. I'm wide awake because of the oxy, it does that to me, so I'm in my recliner and I'm actually comfortable with the trusty ole VIAO laptop. I'm dreading tomorrow when the oxy and booze wears off.

I'm 62 years old. It's Fall again in SW WI and outside stuff is pretty much. Winter is such a shitty time... stuck inside... sitting... doing nothing... seems like every winter I age 10 years instead of 1. I try and hit the shop as often as possible and work on a project. I hit the treadmill when I get my ass in gear. I never really needed to WORK at staying in shape before. I was always kind of a bull and always athletic. THAT is disappearing.

Getting old is so much fun.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    88 Post(s)

I don't have serious back problems because I see a chiropractor and deep tissue massage therapist on a set schedule of 2x/month as preventive. No pain pills or alcohol. Also, I have found that with sciatica walking it out helps.
    If the freedom of speech is taken away
    then dumb and silent we may be led,
    like sheep to the slaughter.

George Washington (1732-1799) First President of the USA.

10. Thanks Kathianne thanked this post
    Likes Kathianne liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SassyLady View Post
    I don't have serious back problems because I see a chiropractor and deep tissue massage therapist on a set schedule of 2x/month as preventive. No pain pills or alcohol. Also, I have found that with sciatica walking it out helps.
    I tried the chiropractor too, Sassy, but I thought the guy was rough and all it reminded me of was like cracking my knuckles. My VA doctor says chiropractors are quacks. My sister and so many friends of mine swear by them... IDK... I don't think they did me any good, and when my spine has serious problems, really the last thing I need is someone twisting and cracking on it. It will just make me hurt worse. Surely I know each person is different. It might help people as well, and must, otherwise so many wouldn't keep going to them, like my older sister who can't seem to go a week without an "adjustment." I hope it helps you though.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    88 Post(s)

I tried the chiropractor too, Sassy, but I thought the guy was rough and all it reminded me of was like cracking my knuckles. My VA doctor says chiropractors are quacks. My sister and so many friends of mine swear by them... IDK... I don't think they did me any good, and when my spine has serious problems, really the last thing I need is someone twisting and cracking on it. It will just make me hurt worse. Surely I know each person is different. It might help people as well, and must, otherwise so many wouldn't keep going to them, like my older sister who can't seem to go a week without an "adjustment." I hope it helps you though.
    My deep tissue therapist is my life saver. I need a safe word when she finds something out of whack. She is also an expert on reflexology and so far every single thing that my medical testing has discovered she told me about first.

My chiropractor is awesome ... I have referred 5 people to her and we all love her. She doesn't do the cracking thing .. uses technology and various tools and table to make adjustments.

Your VA doctor sounds like a dickhead.
    Last edited by SassyLady; 11-10-2017 at 02:29 AM.
    If the freedom of speech is taken away
    then dumb and silent we may be led,
    like sheep to the slaughter.

George Washington (1732-1799) First President of the USA.

13. Thanks Kathianne, High_Plains_Drifter thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SassyLady View Post
    My deep tissue therapist is my life saver. I need a safe word when she finds something out of whack. She is also an expert on reflexology and so far every single thing that my medical testing has discovered she told me about first.

My chiropractor is awesome ... I have referred 5 people to her and we all love her. She doesn't do the cracking thing .. uses technology and various tools and table to make adjustments.

Your VA doctor sounds like a dickhead.
    Their was a massage therapist gal above a little gym in Tampa that I used to go to. Was a little awkward the first time when she wondered if I had a problem dropping my shorts, but after that it was a head to toe, deep tissue massage, and that was the most relaxing and best feeling thing I've ever had. It was a long time ago but if my memory serves me, it was like $35 for an hour. Best money I ever spent. I've looked for a massage therapist around here but, small town WI, there is none. Sure wish there was, I know that would help. I'm on the heating pad and ibuprofen today. Feels a little better after a hot shower with the water massage.
    Last edited by High_Plains_Drifter; 11-10-2017 at 12:29 PM.

15. Thanks SassyLady thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    201 Post(s)

I fix mine by laying in bed and stretching. Lie flat on your back, then slowly rotate your shoulders 90 degrees both ways. Then lie on your side and slowly rotate your shoulders 90 while using one arm to hold your hips in place.

Works for me every time, even if it takes a couple of days.

For middle back, I stand behind our sofa and rest the hurting part of my back on it while maintaining both feet on the floor and relax while stretching... that usually does the trick.

I know it's a real bitch after your muscles have already knotted and seized up on you, but eventually the stretching does it... and it certainly doesn't hurt to have the wifey give you a massage before and after stretching.
    Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by NightTrain View Post
    I fix mine by laying in bed and stretching. Lie flat on your back, then slowly rotate your shoulders 90 degrees both ways. Then lie on your side and slowly rotate your shoulders 90 while using one arm to hold your hips in place.

Works for me every time, even if it takes a couple of days.

For middle back, I stand behind our sofa and rest the hurting part of my back on it while maintaining both feet on the floor and relax while stretching... that usually does the trick.

I know it's a real bitch after your muscles have already knotted and seized up on you, but eventually the stretching does it... and it certainly doesn't hurt to have the wifey give you a massage before and after stretching.
    Just got out of bed, and it was a challenge, just rolling over in bed is a challenge. The pain doesn't seem to be subsiding. This is the worst it's ever been, I'm sure of that. Getting old is SOOOO much fun.

A few years ago I had nagging back pain what seemed like all summer long. I saw a physical therapist for almost two months. She said my left leg was slightly shorter than the right, and that it was rather common when you get older, so I use a small lift in my left shoe, but she also gave me things to do at home and they're all "stretches," mainly designed to realign my hip. I've been trying to do some of those but I can't even stretch much, that hurts too. I am going to lay off the oxy though and keep taking the ibuprofen, because at least that's an anti inflammatory.
    Last edited by High_Plains_Drifter; 11-11-2017 at 08:38 AM.

18. Thanks Abbey Marie thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)

When I get 'twinges' I sleep on the floor. It helps me, though probably depends on the problem. I do think it would be easier to do stretching on the floor.

"The government is a child that has found their parents credit card, and spends knowing that they never have to reconcile the bill with their own money"-Shannon Churchill

20. Thanks High_Plains_Drifter thanked this post
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    139 Post(s)

howya feeling?
    “… the greatest detractor from high performance is fear: fear that you are not prepared, fear that you are in over your head, fear that you are not worthy, and ultimately, fear of failure. If you can eliminate that fear—not through arrogance or just wishing difficulties away, but through hard work and preparation—you will put yourself in an incredibly powerful position to take on the challenges you face" - Pete Carroll.

22. Thanks Abbey Marie thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by darin View Post
    howya feeling?
    I won't say GOOD, but definitely BETTER today. I think I can function well enough to get some dishes done and maybe even hit the store.

Day 4, still pretty sore, this episode has been a bad one. Going to pop a couple oxy's today, because a long time ago a doctor told me pain can become pain just because it's been with you so long, and you need to "break the cycle of pain." I think he meant the feeling of pain to the brain. Well, time for some pills...

24. Thanks darin thanked this post
    Likes jimnyc liked this post