Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    139 Post(s)

Default For Christians: why defend christmas?

Do christians care explicitly about the non-christian origins of christmas? Why does the defense of christmas become central - the whole "Jesus is the reason for the season" is patently false; provably false, yet christians spend time and energy and emotions rallying to the cause.

I am ALL FOR saying "Merry christmas" and I think the war on christmas is real.

But what else is real - Christians didn't celebrate christmas for eons. In fact Puritanical christians forbid the celebration as christmas was more like mardi gras.

So why are we so uptight about it?
    “… the greatest detractor from high performance is fear: fear that you are not prepared, fear that you are in over your head, fear that you are not worthy, and ultimately, fear of failure. If you can eliminate that fear—not through arrogance or just wishing difficulties away, but through hard work and preparation—you will put yourself in an incredibly powerful position to take on the challenges you face" - Pete Carroll.

2. Likes jimnyc liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by darin View Post
    Do christians care explicitly about the non-christian origins of christmas? Why does the defense of christmas become central - the whole "Jesus is the reason for the season" is patently false; provably false, yet christians spend time and energy and emotions rallying to the cause.

But what else is real - Christians didn't celebrate christmas for eons. In fact Puritanical christians forbid the celebration as christmas was more like mardi gras.

I think it's partly due to the desire of many to get in the way of others, to prevent others from enjoying their holiday - whether that be a joyous holiday with gifts and family, or one of celebrating the birth of Jesus Christ. There truly are people out there that think this is wrong for whatever reason and want to have that war you allude to.

That, and tradition, and family, and music and love, and the giving to the kids. It's the attack on something that is nothing but goodness surrounded by love.
    “You know the world is going crazy when the best rapper is a white guy, the best golfer is a black guy, the tallest guy in the NBA is Chinese, the Swiss hold the America's Cup, France is accusing the U.S. of arrogance, Germany doesn't want to go to war, and the three most powerful men in America are named "Bush", "Dick", and "Colin." Need I say more?” - Chris Rock

4. Likes High_Plains_Drifter liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    181 Post(s)

For me,
    1. The more they go on offense, the more it is human nature to go on defense
    2. It is Christian-nature to want the good news of Christ’s birth to be spread
    3. Regardless of origins, Christmas came to represent Christ’s birth as he came to save us. I resent folks acting like it didn't
    After the game, the king and the pawn go into the same box - Author unknown

“Unfortunately, the truth is now whatever the media say it is”
    -Abbey

6. Thanks darin, High_Plains_Drifter thanked this post
    Likes darin liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)

I get that nowhere in the Bible does it say Jesus was born on December 25th. I get that nowhere in the Bible does it command us to celebrate that day. I get that if you move a couple letters around Santa becomes Satan, and that the entire commercialization of Christmas purely for the sake of greed is pure sin.

But it is basically, supposed to be, to celebrate the birth the Christ, like just pick a day since we don't know for sure and go with it. I'd be happy with that without the trees, lights, shopping, songs, etc... just go to church and be happy that Christ was born.

When I was growing up Christmas was a very special time. I did love the tree, decorating the tree, the pretty lights, the visiting relatives for a big family get together, it was magical for a little guy, and those are all truly wonderful memories. But, I've lived alone now for 30 years, and there are no more big family get togethers, and last year I was a real Scrooge, so this year I'm really trying to get into the "Christmas spirit." I've put lights on the house for the first time ever, and we're planning a get together at Ma's with my younger sister and her S.O., and that is all really irrelevant to my initial point.
    Last edited by High_Plains_Drifter; 11-29-2017 at 02:53 PM.

8. Thanks Abbey Marie thanked this post
    Likes Abbey Marie liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)

Default For Real Christians.....

There is NEVER any need to Defend Christmas, Christians, or our Faith.

Plain and simple. You only need to defend a Lie. Ask anyone who makes it a practice.
    I love to make Liberals Cry, and Whine.
    So, this is for them.
    GOD BLESS AMERICA - IN GOD WE TRUST !

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    368 Post(s)

It is only false of someone claims Dec 25th is the factual birth date of Christ. Otherwise, it is the day chosen to celebrate the birth of Christ. Dec 21 is the beginning of the Winter Solstice and was celebrated by Pagans. Christians threw the day to celebrate Christ's birth in with them. How it landed on the 25th I wouldn't know other than it was probably a compromise of convenience at the time and as I understand, also a means of getting Christianity accepted by pagans in joining their celebration.

We are "uptight" about it because it is yet another symbol of our society being attacked by the losers on the left that don't want anyone to believe in anything but them. Bitching about Christmas is just another excuse for them to deny God. If they're going to deny God in public, who are we to shy away in public? My name's not Peter.
    Last edited by Gunny; 11-29-2017 at 04:31 PM.
    “When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall, one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle.” Edumnd Burke

11. Thanks Abbey Marie thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)

Default In case somebody needs a reason to DEFEND Christianity, or Christmas..

https://www.whychristmas.com/customs/25th.shtml

Why is Christmas Day on the 25th December?

Christmas is celebrated to remember the birth of of Jesus Christ, who Christians believe is the Son of God.

The name 'Christmas' comes from the Mass of Christ (or Jesus). A Mass service (which is sometimes called Communion or Eucharist) is where Christians remember that Jesus died for us and then came back to life. The 'Christ-Mass' service was the only one that was allowed to take place after sunset (and before sunrise the next day), so people had it at Midnight! So we get the name Christ-Mass, shortened to Christmas.

Christmas is now celebrated by people around the world, whether they are Christians or not. It's a time when family and friends come together and remember the good things they have. People, and especially children, also like Christmas as it's a time when you give and receive presents!

The Date of Christmas
    No one knows the real birthday of Jesus! No date is given in the Bible, so why do we celebrate it on the 25th December? The early Christians certainly had many arguments as to when it should be celebrated! Also, the birth of Jesus probably didn't happen in the year 1 but slightly earlier, somewhere between 2 BCE/BC and 7 BCE/BC (there isn't a 0 - the years go from 1 BC/BCE to 1!).

Calendar showing 25th December
    The first recorded date of Christmas being celebrated on December 25th was in 336, during the time of the Roman Emperor Constantine (he was the first Christian Roman Emperor). A few years later, Pope Julius I officially declared that the birth of Jesus would be celebrated on the 25th December.

However, there are many different traditions and theories as to why Christmas is celebrated on December 25th.

A very early Christian tradition said that the day when Mary was told that she would have a very special baby, Jesus (called the Annunciation) was on March 25th - and it's still celebrated today on the 25th March. Nine months after the 25th March is the 25th December! March 25th was also the day some early Christians thought the world had been made, and also the day that Jesus died on when he was an adult. The date of March 25th was chosen because people had calculated that was the day on which Jesus died as an adult (the 14th of Nisan in the Jewish calendar) and they thought that Jesus was born and had died on the same day of the year.

Some people also think that December 25th might have also been chosen because the Winter Solstice and the ancient pagan Roman midwinter festivals called 'Saturnalia' and 'Dies Natalis Solis Invicti' took place in December around this date - so it was a time when people already celebrated things.

#95663927 / gettyimages.com
    The Winter Solstice is the day where there is the shortest time between the sun rising and the sun setting. It happens on December 21st or 22nd. To pagans this meant that the winter was over and spring was coming and they had a festival to celebrate it and worshipped the sun for winning over the darkness of winter. In Scandinavia, and some other parts of northern Europe, the Winter Solstice is known as Yule and is where we get Yule Logs from. In Eastern Europe the mid-winter festival is called Koleda.
    So, this is for them.

13. Thanks Abbey Marie thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    181 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by High_Plains_Drifter View Post
    I get that nowhere in the Bible does it say Jesus was born on December 25th. I get that nowhere in the Bible does it command us to celebrate that day. I get that if you move a couple letters around Santa becomes Satan, and that the entire commercialization of Christmas purely for the sake of greed is pure sin.

But it is basically, supposed to be, to celebrate the birth the Christ, like just pick a day since we don't know for sure and go with it. I'd be happy with that without the trees, lights, shopping, songs, etc... just go to church and be happy that Christ was born.

When I was growing up Christmas was a very special time. I did love the tree, decorating the tree, the pretty lights, the visiting relatives for a big family get together, it was magical for a little guy, and those are all truly wonderful memories. But, I've lived alone now for 30 years, and there are no more big family get togethers, and last year I was a real Scrooge, so this year I'm really trying to get into the "Christmas spirit." I've put lights on the house for the first time ever, and we're planning a get together at Ma's with my younger sister and her S.O., and that is all really irrelevant to my initial point.
    ⬆️⬆️ Warms my heart.

(And I love your new signature).
    After the game, the king and the pawn go into the same box - Author unknown

“Unfortunately, the truth is now whatever the media say it is”
    -Abbey

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    368 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by aboutime View Post
    https://www.whychristmas.com/customs/25th.shtml

Why is Christmas Day on the 25th December?

Christmas is celebrated to remember the birth of of Jesus Christ, who Christians believe is the Son of God.

The name 'Christmas' comes from the Mass of Christ (or Jesus). A Mass service (which is sometimes called Communion or Eucharist) is where Christians remember that Jesus died for us and then came back to life. The 'Christ-Mass' service was the only one that was allowed to take place after sunset (and before sunrise the next day), so people had it at Midnight! So we get the name Christ-Mass, shortened to Christmas.

Christmas is now celebrated by people around the world, whether they are Christians or not. It's a time when family and friends come together and remember the good things they have. People, and especially children, also like Christmas as it's a time when you give and receive presents!

The Date of Christmas
    No one knows the real birthday of Jesus! No date is given in the Bible, so why do we celebrate it on the 25th December? The early Christians certainly had many arguments as to when it should be celebrated! Also, the birth of Jesus probably didn't happen in the year 1 but slightly earlier, somewhere between 2 BCE/BC and 7 BCE/BC (there isn't a 0 - the years go from 1 BC/BCE to 1!).

Calendar showing 25th December
    The first recorded date of Christmas being celebrated on December 25th was in 336, during the time of the Roman Emperor Constantine (he was the first Christian Roman Emperor). A few years later, Pope Julius I officially declared that the birth of Jesus would be celebrated on the 25th December.

However, there are many different traditions and theories as to why Christmas is celebrated on December 25th.

A very early Christian tradition said that the day when Mary was told that she would have a very special baby, Jesus (called the Annunciation) was on March 25th - and it's still celebrated today on the 25th March. Nine months after the 25th March is the 25th December! March 25th was also the day some early Christians thought the world had been made, and also the day that Jesus died on when he was an adult. The date of March 25th was chosen because people had calculated that was the day on which Jesus died as an adult (the 14th of Nisan in the Jewish calendar) and they thought that Jesus was born and had died on the same day of the year.

Some people also think that December 25th might have also been chosen because the Winter Solstice and the ancient pagan Roman midwinter festivals called 'Saturnalia' and 'Dies Natalis Solis Invicti' took place in December around this date - so it was a time when people already celebrated things.

#95663927 / gettyimages.com
    The Winter Solstice is the day where there is the shortest time between the sun rising and the sun setting. It happens on December 21st or 22nd. To pagans this meant that the winter was over and spring was coming and they had a festival to celebrate it and worshipped the sun for winning over the darkness of winter. In Scandinavia, and some other parts of northern Europe, the Winter Solstice is known as Yule and is where we get Yule Logs from. In Eastern Europe the mid-winter festival is called Koleda.
    Pffft. It means: "Gunny's Birthday"
    “When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall, one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle.” Edumnd Burke

16. Thanks aboutime thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)

Default That reminded me of something Gunny.

Next time somebody asks "When is your birthday?" Instead of giving them a date.

Just say "Same time every year!"

Merry CHRISTMAS....while we're at it. Trump told us today...."
    This year WE say MERRY CHRISTMAS, and we mean it!"
    So, this is for them.

Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    139 Post(s)

I suppose my thing about this is preponderance. Traditions going back 200 years aren't as strong as those going back 2000. Knowing the church's reasoning (supposed) for creating the holiday taints it for me. Then I think...I seriously believe Christ would never defend the holiday. I think he'd say things like "Oh, you don't participate? Cool...I mean, really, it's no big deal"

What bothers me is the fairness. Every other fucking holiday the whole world says "Happy/Merry" and then the actual name.

Except christmas.

"Happy new year!"

"Happy Halloween!"

"Happy SAINT patirick's day!"

25 Dec?

"Happy Holidays".

Da Fuq?

So - while I'd never get my blood pressure up one way or another about the celebration of christmas - the libertarian in me thinks it should at least be treated fairly.
    “… the greatest detractor from high performance is fear: fear that you are not prepared, fear that you are in over your head, fear that you are not worthy, and ultimately, fear of failure. If you can eliminate that fear—not through arrogance or just wishing difficulties away, but through hard work and preparation—you will put yourself in an incredibly powerful position to take on the challenges you face" - Pete Carroll.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

There is no commandment in the New Testament to observe the birth of Christ. There ARE commandments to commemorate His death. I have never been able to find authority in scripture to practice the holiday as anything other than a man-made holiday to be spent with family and friends.
    "Liberals claim to want to give a hearing to other views, but then are shocked and offended to discover that there are other views." William F Buckley, Jr

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    145 Post(s)

The war on christmas was lost once we started gifting like crazy.

21. Thanks darin thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)

I am 99 percent sure Jesus was born in October.

And I think he will come back in October. I just don't know which October.

23. Thanks Gunny thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    368 Post(s)

I suppose my thing about this is preponderance. Traditions going back 200 years aren't as strong as those going back 2000. Knowing the church's reasoning (supposed) for creating the holiday taints it for me. Then I think...I seriously believe Christ would never defend the holiday. I think he'd say things like "Oh, you don't participate? Cool...I mean, really, it's no big deal"

What bothers me is the fairness. Every other fucking holiday the whole world says "Happy/Merry" and then the actual name.

Except christmas.

"Happy new year!"

"Happy Halloween!"

"Happy SAINT patirick's day!"

25 Dec?

"Happy Holidays".

Da Fuq?

So - while I'd never get my blood pressure up one way or another about the celebration of christmas - the libertarian in me thinks it should at least be treated fairly.
    Well, you asked. I agree with the sentiment that the meaning and reasons for Christmas NOW mean nothing. When I was a kid, the presents were secondary to family and going to church. Now it's "What'd you get me?" "How much am I supposed to spend on so-n-so since I got a cheap gift last year?" You WILL participate in "Secret Santa" and buy a gift of $5 for who knows who; which, is followed by certain people being privy to who got whose name and the $5 limit being ignored.

The signs and sales start after Halloween now. Used to start after Thanksgiving. Now we got "Black Friday" and "Cyber Monday" where merchandisers let everyone on Earth know whether Christmas will suck based on THEIR profit.

I just enjoy my grandkids. They're a hoot. You can keep the rest of the junk.