Knowing Trump, he likely sleeps fine at night.

---

Trump has to live with the consequences of his Israel decision

(CNN)At ground zero, by Jerusalem's Old City walls, reaction to President Trump's declaration that the United States now recognizes the city as being Israel's capital is both mixed and muted.

A small group of Palestinian women sat chanting outside the ancient Damascus Gate and youths who in other cities might be described as feral baited police, in an almost ritualized ebb and flow of bravado.

There was no violence and Israel Police spokesman Micky Rosenfeld told me the gathering was "relatively small ... we've dealt with much larger."

He would be there again Friday as Palestinians streamed home following their most important prayers of the week. It was the moment many had feared could turn to ugly violence.

It didn't. The vast majority of people left peacefully. Perhaps a hundred teenagers stopped to chant in anger, later tangling with police as they were moved on. In the same place six months ago, the police coped with far bigger and much more violent crowds.

If Rosenfeld was surprised at the low turnout, he didn't show it. He told me that the police were still evaluating what may come in the days ahead.

I was puzzling over other conversations I'd just been having. Educated, articulate Palestinians describing to me both their frustration with their own leadership and their anger with Trump.

Nearly 25 years after the first Oslo peace accords held out hope of a two-state solution, we have little to show for it, one middle-class 30-something man told me. He said that Palestinians need new leaders and a new approach.

He singled out Palestinian Authority President Mahmoud Abbas as being particularly weak.

A 45-year-old woman was angry with Trump. She told me she grew up in the Old City, that he didn't understand the impact of his decision and that he cared only about his popularity back home.

Rest - http://www.cnn.com/2017/12/09/opinio...son/index.html