Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    139 Post(s)

Default to what extent are feelings truly “native” to ourselves?

Thought provoking article on promoting Masculinity

First, to what extent are feelings truly “native” to ourselves? Perhaps half of our personality was baked right into our DNA and present at birth, so surely, yes, many of our feelings might be considered intrinsically “us.” But what about the other half of how we turn out? Since we were babes, we’ve been bombarded with millions of advertisements and media messages. Who we are has been shaped by our parents, our peers, and our experiences. If all of these external and “artificial” influences have molded our feelings, are they any more authentic than the other kinds of masks we wear?

Second, should we really privilege and trust all our feelings? If I don’t feel like working out and want to sit on the couch and eat potato chips, should I harken to that feeling as a call from my authentic self? What if I have a bad day at work and feel like quitting, should I?

What if I feel like punching an annoying person in the face, should I heed that urge? If I want to stare at an attractive woman’s breasts, should I give in to that impulse?

Critics of the masks of masculinity would of course answer these questions in the negative. In fact, in regards to those latter two, they would say that the urge to be violent or sexually aggressive is actually just another mask, rather than an authentic feeling (despite the fact there is ample scientific evidence that proves the innate, biological origin of the male drive for dominance). Because what they really mean when they say men need to get in touch with their feelings, is that they need to get in touch with their “nice” feelings — feelings that lead them to be more sensitive and vulnerable and gentle. More like, well, women.

But it’s logically inconsistent to say that masks are bad because they stifle your feelings, which represent your true self and must be accessed and liberated, but then to only apply that precept to some feelings and not to others.

The truth is that while feelings are important, nobody — whether man or woman — is well served by privileging them over other aspects of the self, like rational thought and volitional desires.
    https://www.artofmanliness.com/2017/...s-masculinity/
    “… the greatest detractor from high performance is fear: fear that you are not prepared, fear that you are in over your head, fear that you are not worthy, and ultimately, fear of failure. If you can eliminate that fear—not through arrogance or just wishing difficulties away, but through hard work and preparation—you will put yourself in an incredibly powerful position to take on the challenges you face" - Pete Carroll.

2. Thanks Gunny thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    368 Post(s)

I firmly believe that out "beliefs" are learned behavior. Take a baby. They know only that they are hungry, cold, hot, etc. Everything is environmental. They learn if they cry momma shows up (at least in THIS house). What if momma doesn't show up? The two infants learn entirely different things.

I agree with the article. We're bombarded with what to believe and what to think from day one. We know nothing else unless we choose to seek out answers with an open mind. Most are unwilling to do that.
    “When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall, one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle.” Edumnd Burke

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gunny View Post
    I firmly believe that out "beliefs" are learned behavior. Take a baby. They know only that they are hungry, cold, hot, etc. Everything is environmental. They learn if they cry momma shows up (at least in THIS house). What if momma doesn't show up? The two infants learn entirely different things.

I agree with the article. We're bombarded with what to believe and what to think from day one. We know nothing else unless we choose to seek out answers with an open mind. Most are unwilling to do that.
    Then grandpa gunny shows up.

5. Thanks Gunny thanked this post