Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Default Doug Jones won, Roy Moore lost in Alabama

It's 10:30 EST and with about 90% of the vote in, both Fox and CNN called the Alabama senatorial race for the Democrat Doug Jones.

It was Moore ahead for well over two hours from poll closing, but when they finally got vote totals in from what they termed the "black belt," which John King rather mendaciously said referred to the topsoil, but in fact was major cities across the middle of the state and therefore presumably actually refers to black voters, Jones finally pulled ahead.

Well, I'm surprised. I thought Alabama would hold the lines, especially since Pres. Trump did come out strongly for Moore at the end. However, it looks like what is being called the #MeToo social movement of women and some men against sexual harassment by powerful male figures, even if rather poorly sourced in some cases, has strongly affected votes even in the deep South.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Someone said on Fox that now the Dems know all they have to do to save a seat is trot out some poorly-sourced, unproveable sex allegation from several decades ago and publicize it with millions from Soros and Hollywood for TV money, to take down a Republican candidate. If they can do it in Alabama, they can do it anywhere. Agree?

3. Thanks Gunny thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mundame View Post
    Someone said on Fox that now the Dems know all they have to do to save a seat is trot out some poorly-sourced, unproveable sex allegation from several decades ago and publicize it with millions from Soros and Hollywood for TV money, to take down a Republican candidate. If they can do it in Alabama, they can do it anywhere. Agree?
    No way to know. People may grow tired of hearing about allegations.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)

I think it's the "flavor of the day," and like anything else people will tire of it, and I think that time is growing near, not to mention PROOF of any of these METO bimbos being PAID will put a very abrupt end to it all.
    Last edited by High_Plains_Drifter; 12-13-2017 at 10:51 AM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

I had bought into all the polls, and after things more or less died down a little bit, the polls showed Moore a lead of anywhere from 2-9 points. And then, for whatever reason, it dawned on me and I believe in it less and less. I'm not saying I still didn't think that Moore would hopefully win, but after last year, I just had a feeling that maybe they were off.

According to the write-ins, they were just enough to put Jones over the top, apparently.

If at all accurate to this point, if not for the write-ins, then Jones loses by a few thousand votes. But that's the way the cookie crumbles sometimes!

And now the Dems will run with how a pervert was avoided, but I still don't see the proof, but I suppose the point doesn't matter anymore.

This will lessen the (R)'s ever so lightly lead in the senate. Things will be similar. I think what matters most, for 2018 - is who pays attention, who works hard, and those who purposely obstruct as they said they would from Nov 10th forward.

With that said - Congrats to Jones!
    “You know the world is going crazy when the best rapper is a white guy, the best golfer is a black guy, the tallest guy in the NBA is Chinese, the Swiss hold the America's Cup, France is accusing the U.S. of arrogance, Germany doesn't want to go to war, and the three most powerful men in America are named "Bush", "Dick", and "Colin." Need I say more?” - Chris Rock

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)

Allen West seems to agree with that;
    In the new era of #metoo, the defeat of Judge Roy Moore validates the Democrat strategy of personal assassination. This will become the operational mode for all Liberals running for office in all future elections. Real issues and substance will be ignored and there will be no more debate. All trials will now be held in the court of Public Opinion. Due process will be a thing of the past. This is the ugly work of a True Democracy in action. A simple majority will rule and chaos will ensue. It will be the death of our Republic
    Every day I beat my previous record of consecutive days I've stayed alive.

8. Likes mundame liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jimnyc View Post
    I had bought into all the polls....
    I didn't, by carefully avoiding reading any of them, or any article that contained one. The polls are just wildly wrong all the time and I'm determined not to let them play me any more.

What DID work was old-timey precinct-by-precinct vote analysis on Election Night. Both Fox and CNN used that to basically assume Jones would win from 9 PM on. Fox coverage was AWFUL! Neal Cavuto talked about analyses "on the bottom of the screen that may be confusing you" that weren't there at all. One of their female panel kept saying that the vote kept flipping --- but I watched from the time the polls closed and it never flipped at all till very late --- it was Moore all the way till late in the evening. I have no idea what she was spinning.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jimnyc View Post
    According to the write-ins, they were just enough to put Jones over the top, apparently.

If at all accurate to this point, if not for the write-ins, then Jones loses by a few thousand votes.

Yes! I've revised my personal analysis: I now think it's the deviation of voters to useless votes that is the real October Surprise. Sen. Richard Shelby did that, late, and it worked. Only 3000 write-in votes for senator happened in 2016, and some 22,000 yesterday ---- pretty much all GOP votes. So Moore would have won if Sen. Shelby hadn't urged them to throw away their vote on write-ins if they didn't want to vote for a Democrat. A lot of those votes would have "come home" to Moore, I think, since these voters did go to the poll, but they did what Shelby told them to.

Yow. That tactic worked, and we will see it again. Just say "This candidate is TOTALLY UNACCEPTABLE for his/her stand on [X,Y, Z, whatever they've got: sex scandal, gun control, abortion, any of the hit tunes] ---- so write in Mickey Mouse and you're still doing your civic duty like a good citizen!"

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

Yes! I've revised my personal analysis: I now think it's the deviation of voters to useless votes that is the real October Surprise. Sen. Richard Shelby did that, late, and it worked. Only 3000 write-in votes for senator happened in 2016, and some 22,000 yesterday ---- pretty much all GOP votes. So Moore would have won if Sen. Shelby hadn't urged them to throw away their vote on write-ins if they didn't want to vote for a Democrat. A lot of those votes would have "come home" to Moore, I think, since these voters did go to the poll, but they did what Shelby told them to.

Yow. That tactic worked, and we will see it again. Just say "This candidate is TOTALLY UNACCEPTABLE for his/her stand on [X,Y, Z, whatever they've got: sex scandal, gun control, abortion, any of the hit tunes] ---- so write in Mickey Mouse and you're still doing your civic duty like a good citizen!"
    It is what it is, and Jones won fair and square and above the water from all I can see - but the tactics, the forces behind the scenes - was all kind of pathetic.
    “You know the world is going crazy when the best rapper is a white guy, the best golfer is a black guy, the tallest guy in the NBA is Chinese, the Swiss hold the America's Cup, France is accusing the U.S. of arrogance, Germany doesn't want to go to war, and the three most powerful men in America are named "Bush", "Dick", and "Colin." Need I say more?” - Chris Rock

12. Thanks mundame thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)

Markets don't care as much as they did last night.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Black Diamond View Post
    Right --- investors were worried Trump won't get the tax cut through. Jones won't be sworn in till January; maybe that helps their morale.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Black Diamond View Post
    Ooops, I'm back because I went straight to Reuters, and they said:

Senate secures tax deal

Congressional Republicans have reached a deal on final tax legislation, the top Senate Republican tax writer said, with President Donald Trump saying minutes later he would back a corporate tax rate of 21 percent.

Well, so much for that! I guess we don't need Roy Moore, at least not for that. 21% is higher than the 20% they were planning, but it's a lot lower than the 35% corporate tax rate that's on the books now.

16. Thanks Black Diamond thanked this post
    Likes Black Diamond liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)

Ooops, I'm back because I went straight to Reuters, and they said:

Well, so much for that! I guess we don't need Roy Moore, at least not for that. 21% is higher than the 20% they were planning, but it's a lot lower than the 35% corporate tax rate that's on the books now.
    Thank you for the update.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)

Default IMO....not that anyone here really cares...

Thinking hard about it. The Republicans didn't need Moore to be part of the Senate. He would have been another target for the Liberal Crybabies to cling to, and drive more hatred toward Trump. I heard today. Trump didn't really believe Moore had a chance anyway. But Trump is smarter than the Schumer's, and the Pelosi Snowflakes who claim to be concerned for the USA, when, in reality, all they care about is CHEATING, and LYING to the Americans who are so awfully uneducated...they vote for them anyway.
    I love to make Liberals Cry, and Whine.
    So, this is for them.
    GOD BLESS AMERICA - IN GOD WE TRUST !

19. Likes mundame liked this post