Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Black Diamond View Post
    There is no this Sunday. Football no longer exists.
    ​IMO...If they play Football and... stay out of politics (in every shape and manner) it does exist ....

*Thing is the Left (Liberals) are trying to destroy Football...and a few jack-ass (black lies matter Fools playing in some of the teams)...>In their own low-info mind-set (Translation no clue what really is happening)....comply with the Lefts Ignorance...Fans just want to watch Football...and are watching who is who...and what team they play for....I feel slowly but surely the crap is dying down...and even some of the low-info players are starting to figure out what fans only want...which is just Football and No politics...

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by del View Post
    how many super bowls have they won together?
    While I would love nothing more than to put out a huge number here to finalize their history together, that number sits at 0 right now, but I'm hoping they move that to one this year!!

Quarterback to wide receiver statistics and what not, unfortunately don't always lead to super bowls. Hell, sometimes it doesn't even lead to the playoffs. You can see QB's like Philip Rivers (off top my head), that get great passing yardage numbers every year, but may not even make the playoffs. For the big game, you need a complete team all the way around. Not just the QB/WR, but also running, a great O line, also a great D, D line and everything that comes with a great D (see 70 Steelers).

Proof the other way around would be, for example, Dan Marino and then Mark Clayton and Mark Duper. Man, what a trio!! But just wasn't really enough for that team in the 80's.

Look at Calvin Johnson on that list aka Megatron. Man, he eat up my Steelers sometimes! He had a damn good QB tossing him the balls, and he's obviously a HOF wide receiver. But it stopped there for them, unfortunately.

Randy Moss needed to be put on the right teams. He was fantastic on the Vikings and brought them out of the darkness, and even into the playoffs, IMO, but wasn't enough.

I think the Steelers have had one of the best offensive teams in the past 10 years, but their defensive side of the ball hasn't been super bowl caliber most of the time.
    “You know the world is going crazy when the best rapper is a white guy, the best golfer is a black guy, the tallest guy in the NBA is Chinese, the Swiss hold the America's Cup, France is accusing the U.S. of arrogance, Germany doesn't want to go to war, and the three most powerful men in America are named "Bush", "Dick", and "Colin." Need I say more?” - Chris Rock

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

i don't have a model, but i'd say just looking at the numbers he posted that owens, rice and moss are all better receivers than brown.
    Only due to time in the NFL, and I believe, IMO, surrounded by a better cast in totality.

I think if given the same time with Ben, Brown is better than Owens, and a very close to Randy Moss (one of my favorites of all time!), but I don't think he comes close to Jerry Rice. I would love to see that!! But even the best of players tend to slow down in time, except for Jerry Rice!!
    “You know the world is going crazy when the best rapper is a white guy, the best golfer is a black guy, the tallest guy in the NBA is Chinese, the Swiss hold the America's Cup, France is accusing the U.S. of arrogance, Germany doesn't want to go to war, and the three most powerful men in America are named "Bush", "Dick", and "Colin." Need I say more?” - Chris Rock

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)

I am still afraid of Marino/Clayton/Duper

5. Thanks del thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

I am still afraid of Marino/Clayton/Duper
    Marino is STILL my favorite of all time. What an arm that man had!! Different league and different era though. But I think if you toss him out there today in his prime, on a pass happy team? He's the best.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jimnyc View Post
    Marino is STILL my favorite of all time. What an arm that man had!! Different league and different era though. But I think if you toss him out there today in his prime, on a pass happy team? He's the best.
    Hard to tell how modern quarterbacks would respond to getting roughed up the way they did 20 years ago. Manning came in right Before the league started handling QBs with kit gloves. New England would be really physical with him and his receivers and he would start throwing picks.

So I know it ain't manning/Harrison lol.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)

seven if welker could hold on.
    In addition to Gaffney, manning didn't have his favorite wide receiver, Ty Law.

9. Thanks del thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    369 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jimnyc View Post
    Yeah' 'all that arm". I liked Marino, but that arm was his best friend and worst enemy. Too many times I watched him come down to crunch time and forget there were 10 other players on offense and lose the game trying to do too much on his own.
    “When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall, one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle.” Edumnd Burke

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gunny View Post
    Yeah' 'all that arm". I liked Marino, but that arm was his best friend and worst enemy. Too many times I watched him come down to crunch time and forget there were 10 other players on offense and lose the game trying to do too much on his own.
    Probably after Clayton and duper were gone. Miami run defense was consistently ranked 25th or lower.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    369 Post(s)

Probably after Clayton and duper were gone. Miami run defense was consistently ranked 25th or lower.
    Even when Clayton and Duper were there. They actually made him more than he them. He was good, no doubt. But it was like crunch time and his mind went blank. He'd try forcing passes. I don't recall them having a good run OFFENSE after Csonka, Morris and Kiick left. Shula tried to do a "Landry" and pop Don Nottingham and Benny Malone in as FB and TB, respectively, but their only success was from what was left of the line. 1975 killed the Dolphins and a few other teams when their stars ran off to the World Football League (lasted 2 years). Had it not been for the WFL, the SB history as well as Pittsburgh's would be a tad different. Thhe Dolphines were coming off an undefeated season and the defense WAS their game.

I lived in Miami at the time
    “When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall, one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle.” Edumnd Burke

13. Thanks Black Diamond, del thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)

Even when Clayton and Duper were there. They actually made him more than he them. He was good, no doubt. But it was like crunch time and his mind went blank. He'd try forcing passes. I don't recall them having a good run OFFENSE after Csonka, Morris and Kiick left. Shula tried to do a "Landry" and pop Don Nottingham and Benny Malone in as FB and TB, respectively, but their only success was from what was left of the line. 1975 killed the Dolphins and a few other teams when their stars ran off to the World Football League (lasted 2 years). Had it not been for the WFL, the SB history as well as Pittsburgh's would be a tad different. Thhe Dolphines were coming off an undefeated season and the defense WAS their game.

Amazing Marino fell to 28 in the draft. I wonder if he really did coke. Noll certainly thought so.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)

The poor run defense is listed as one of the reason you can't blame Marino for never winning a super bowl. It was some program that ESPN ran. Del will know what it was.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    369 Post(s)

The poor run defense is listed as one of the reason you can't blame Marino for never winning a super bowl. It was some program that ESPN ran. Del will know what it was.
    The Dolphins never had a defense after 75 worth a SB win. They had the "Killer B's" at one point, but they were over-achievers. They could have beaten the 49ers in 82 or 83 if they'd had a defense. Montana was not as good a QB as Marino at that point. Marino came out of college from Pittsburgh already playing a pro set. Montana came out of Notre Dame where they played a college set. Marino had the experience. The Dolphin defense didn't stop Marine when it mattered.

Which is surprising since Shula was known for his defense in both Baltimore and Miami. they lost half their defense to the WFL as well. I mean, come on ... they had come off an undefeated season, had the best defense in the NFL -- Bob Griese gets all the credit for that season but he was out more than half of it. Earl Morrall did just enough to not lose and the Miami D won most of those games. They beat the Steelers in the Championship game that season. The Steelers won the next two SBs.

The WFL basically stole most of that undefeated team and left Shula with not much.

Technically speaking, Bob Griese went to 3 straight SBs, winning 2 which would make him the better QB if championships is the qualifier. Griese was basically a Phil Simms. Competent enough to make a few plays and not lose the game. The team makes the game, and Marino would forget he had one. He never outgrew that flaw.

As far as coke? College kid in the late 70s - early 80s? Probably did. Cocaine landed hard and cheap in 80 with the Colombians in Miami. It was no longer the "rich man's drug".

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)

My uber Steelers friend believes you are all wrong. The best QB-WR combo of all time is Terry Bradshaw to Lynn Swann.

I asked what she thought of all the player kneeling protests, she says it has nothing to do with football. What players do before the game is merely an individual statement of opinion. What they do on the field is what counts. Devoted football fans will always watch the games and support their teams. If you stop watching because of what happens before the game, then you were never a real fan to begin with.
    Never argue with devout Steelers fans. They will hurt you.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    369 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by gabosaurus View Post
    My uber Steelers friend believes you are all wrong. The best QB-WR combo of all time is Terry Bradshaw to Lynn Swann.

I asked what she thought of all the player kneeling protests, she says it has nothing to do with football. What players do before the game is merely an individual statement of opinion. What they do on the field is what counts. Devoted football fans will always watch the games and support their teams. If you stop watching because of what happens before the game, then you were never a real fan to begin with.
    Never argue with devout Steelers fans. They will hurt you.
    Your friend is wrong, and wrong. Rothelisberger is a better QB than Bradshaw could ever dream of being. Swan might be the better receiver because he made Bradshaw look better than he was.

And I got YEARS on any other Steelers fan here. I'm just not as psycho as one in particular .

The National Anthem is played at NFL games to honor veterans. You disrespect it, you disrespect them. End of story. The game is football. Cry on your own time.