Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)

Default Gyros?

Yes, I love them. There was this place in Madison on States Street just down from the Capitol building that was called "The Parthenon." It was owned and operated by Greeks and they made the best Gyros I've ever had in my life. I've been on a mission since to find anywhere that could make them that good, and the mission has failed, from Florida to Nevada. So, what's a guy to do but start looking at recipes and make your own... so I did... and with very good results.

The meat is the hardest part. I had to go to a butcher shop to find the veal, and luckily I have a food processor powerful enough to mix the meats and seasonings, even though it did struggle near the end of mixing. You then form it into a blob, cook it uncovered half way, then turn it over and cook it the rest of the way, then wrap it up and let it rest overnight. Same with the Tzatsiki Sauce. Mix it up using only real Greek yogurt and let it rest overnight. Get the pita bread, dice up some onions and tomatoes, take the meat out and thinly slice the meat and heat it in a pan, throw it in the pita bread, slap on the tzatsiki sauce, lay on the onions and tomatoes and WOW... Gyros... better than most restaurants.

2. Thanks darin thanked this post
    Likes Kathianne, Taco Junkie liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by High_Plains_Drifter View Post
    Yes, I love them. There was this place in Madison on States Street just down from the Capitol building that was called "The Parthenon." It was owned and operated by Greeks and they made the best Gyros I've ever had in my life. I've been on a mission since to find anywhere that could make them that good, and the mission has failed, from Florida to Nevada. So, what's a guy to do but start looking at recipes and make your own... so I did... and with very good results.

The meat is the hardest part. I had to go to a butcher shop to find the veal, and luckily I have a food processor powerful enough to mix the meats and seasonings, even though it did struggle near the end of mixing. You then form it into a blob, cook it uncovered half way, then turn it over and cook it the rest of the way, then wrap it up and let it rest overnight. Same with the Tzatsiki Sauce. Mix it up using only real Greek yogurt and let it rest overnight. Get the pita bread, dice up some onions and tomatoes, take the meat out and thinly slice the meat and heat it in a pan, throw it in the pita bread, slap on the tzatsiki sauce, lay on the onions and tomatoes and WOW... Gyros... better than most restaurants.
    Greektown in Chicago has lots of really good gyros. Actually because of a pretty decent Greek community, you can find them even in the suburbs. Look for where the Greek Eastern Rite Churches are.

"The government is a child that has found their parents credit card, and spends knowing that they never have to reconcile the bill with their own money"-Shannon Churchill

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kathianne View Post
    Greektown in Chicago has lots of really good gyros. Actually because of a pretty decent Greek community, you can find them even in the suburbs. Look for where the Greek Eastern Rite Churches are.
    I'd love to, but danged if I'd ever step foot in Chicago, Kath. What a nightmare that place is... traffic from hell, toll ways, parking by permit only, good Lord.
    Last edited by High_Plains_Drifter; 12-17-2017 at 07:26 PM.

5. Likes Taco Junkie liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)

I'd love to, but danged if I'd ever step foot in Chicago, Kath. What a nightmare that place is... traffic from hell, toll ways, parking by permit only, good Lord.
    I hear ya. But the food is worth it.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Black Diamond View Post
    I hear ya. But the food is worth it.
    With all due respect, pard... not to me.

I like to cook though so, if I get a hankerin' for something different to eat, I find out how to cook it and do it myself.

Bachelors either learn how to cook or get real board with what they eat, and when you live out here in the sticks like myself where there isn't any restaurants around, it's all but a necessity.

8. Thanks Black Diamond thanked this post
    Likes Taco Junkie liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)

Well I guess we disagree on places to visit. I love the city, though rarely have driven down there for 15 years, always take the train. About the same time I moved to AZ, my youngest moved to the city-so now he picks me up and drives me. Door-to-door, gotta love it. Once in his place, we walk or jump on the el. With the last move their apt is only about 10 min on el to Bean. The lake is about 3 miles east of his abode, not a bad walk. Lots of restaurants in the neighborhood, though I miss being able to walk to Smoque!

Then again, I think Madison is beautiful and would love to live there. That my politics would be outside the norm there would only make things more interesting.

It's going on 4 years of rather rural living, my inner suburban self is coming out. Looking to work in Phoenix suburbs.

"The government is a child that has found their parents credit card, and spends knowing that they never have to reconcile the bill with their own money"-Shannon Churchill

10. Thanks High_Plains_Drifter thanked this post
    Likes Taco Junkie liked this post
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    139 Post(s)

Döners are the thing here. The best Döners are better than any Gyros. Have you tried to make a Döner Kebab?
    “… the greatest detractor from high performance is fear: fear that you are not prepared, fear that you are in over your head, fear that you are not worthy, and ultimately, fear of failure. If you can eliminate that fear—not through arrogance or just wishing difficulties away, but through hard work and preparation—you will put yourself in an incredibly powerful position to take on the challenges you face" - Pete Carroll.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by darin View Post
    Döners are the thing here. The best Döners are better than any Gyros. Have you tried to make a Döner Kebab?
    First I ever heard of those... interesting...

https://www.quora.com/Why-is-there-n...r-Kebab-in-USA

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kathianne View Post
    Well I guess we disagree on places to visit. I love the city, though rarely have driven down there for 15 years, always take the train. About the same time I moved to AZ, my youngest moved to the city-so now he picks me up and drives me. Door-to-door, gotta love it. Once in his place, we walk or jump on the el. With the last move their apt is only about 10 min on el to Bean. The lake is about 3 miles east of his abode, not a bad walk. Lots of restaurants in the neighborhood, though I miss being able to walk to Smoque!

Then again, I think Madison is beautiful and would love to live there. That my politics would be outside the norm there would only make things more interesting.

It's going on 4 years of rather rural living, my inner suburban self is coming out. Looking to work in Phoenix suburbs.
    I'm confused and lost just reading that...

I never did like big cities, and I've never been on a subway or an el. If I can't drive there, I'm never going to go there...

Yeah living out here in a tiny little town has it's draw backs, but to me, I'm sure what some would see as the downside, I see as the upside. The internet did make things better, seeing as I can order just about anything anyone else has and have it delivered. Fancy restaurants, no, we surely don't have any of those. That was one of the perks living in Reno and Vegas was the world class restaurants, and can't forget the buffets that seemingly go on forever. I do miss that.

I went to the grocery store yesterday and forgot to buy Pita bread, so I made an alternative Gyro without the bread. I heated up three kind of thick slices of my Gyro meat, plated them and then covered them with an ample layer of fresh Tzatsiki sauce, then piled on diced onions and tomatoes and wow, that was GOOD. I do the same thing with tacos. I crush up Doritoes and then cover them with taco meat, then pour on taco sauce, then a nice layer of shredded cheese, then the diced onions and tomatoes, instant tacos on a plate, that's good stuff.
    Last edited by High_Plains_Drifter; 12-18-2017 at 12:20 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Gus reopened in a gas station in Westport (Northeast tip of Lake Mendota near Skipper Buds). He has since sold the business and it went to a food truck but is now building his own building there. They're just as good as ever!

https://www.channel3000.com/madison-...rant/514633417

When you ride up for one let me know and I'll meet you there.

15. Likes High_Plains_Drifter liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Taco Junkie View Post
    Gus reopened in a gas station in Westport (Northeast tip of Lake Mendota near Skipper Buds). He has since sold the business and it went to a food truck but is now building his own building there. They're just as good as ever!

https://www.channel3000.com/madison-...rant/514633417

When you ride up for one let me know and I'll meet you there.
    Looks good. I wouldn't ride my bike over there though, in fact, I won't be riding that much anywhere anymore. It's a collector. It's a 2006 Harley Davidson FXD35 35th Anniversary Dyna Super Glide, #0793 of only 3,500 made. I only have a tick over 7,000 miles on it now, and the less miles it has on it the better, and since Harley quit making the Dyna now, it's just going to be even more rare in the years to come. I put most of the miles on it in Nevada, where you could clean and polish it up and it would stay that way for months and months. Around here you spend 4 hours polishing chrome and then ONE RIDE and it's covered with BUG GUTS again. It's infuriating if you're like me and like to keep your Harley spotless, and are used to it being spotless. But, I've been riding for over 50 years anyway, had 3 bad crashes, I'm about done with it. I worry about hitting a deer more than anything around here. I have friends that have and they're lucky to be alive.

The restuarant looks cool. I bookmarked that location on google maps. I'd just hop in the big black Chevy and motor over to check that out.
    Last edited by High_Plains_Drifter; 12-18-2017 at 12:16 PM.

17. Likes Taco Junkie liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    181 Post(s)

I thought traditional gyros used lamb?
    After the game, the king and the pawn go into the same box - Author unknown

“Unfortunately, the truth is now whatever the media say it is”
    -Abbey

19. Likes Taco Junkie liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Abbey View Post
    I thought traditional gyros used lamb?
    You are correct.

21. Thanks Abbey Marie thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Gyros are made from lamb not veal. Asian or ethnic grocers often sell thin sliced lamb meat although it's usually frozen, or visit a halal butcher. Make the sauce from cucumbers that have been skinned and the seeds removed. Add that to a good whole milk yogurt (find that at an Indian grocer) along with chopped mint and a little chopped cilantro leaves if you like, chopped tomato (deseeded) and onions, let it marinate, look up recipes for tzatziki sauce. I make my own gyros and they're the best. I fry up the lamb and grill onions, then add a bit of garlic, marjoram, and rosemary at the end. The best.

23. Thanks Abbey Marie thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

And forget about so called "greek yogurt" because that's fake, there's no such thing as "greek yogurt" in Greece, just good yogurt made from whole milk. This thing called "greek yogurt" here in America is just a kitschy thing, like "chop suey" is American not Chinese.