Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Default Docs Drumming Up Business

We signed up with one of those Medicare services, MedStar, and they've been calling up again and again to try to get me to make appointments for checkups and such. They are quite predatory about it: they actually do a single ring followed by regular rings to force our attention and interest so we'll answer the phone. I bitterly protested that in letters and calls: it's the old code family members used to use to tell family it was them calling and to pick up. Immoral.

Is that happening to anyone else? Why do they do that? They pretend it's "altruistic," but it's pretty clear they must be trying to make money off me some way. Anyone know what they are up to?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

MedStar is a non-profit company with $4.2 billion in yearly revenues, so they need to make a lot of calls in an attempt to make money, because they're not making any profits now.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MedStar_Health

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Himself says it could be that they want people to come in for the "free" checkups in the hopes that they can do lots of tests and prescriptions and so on, and then charge Medicare for all this unnecessary care. If we won't come in, they can't charge, but their fixed costs for docs and facilities remain the same.

I think he's got it. I tell them to get dead in a shed, Fred.

Docs and lawyers all drumming up business. Hmmmmm. As far as I can see, that's all nothing but harm to the people who do NOT need their help.