Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    201 Post(s)

Default Merry Christmas to ME!

Last night the wife and I went down to our friendly local Polaris shop and I got something for myself....

Behold!

Took her over to my buddy's house because there's just enough snow to ride a bit... had to start breaking her in - I was a bit anxious to go for a ride.

It's got a 550 fan engine, 155" paddle track, 2-up seating for the wifey that I can remove in 5 seconds flat, towing / freight hauling capability, all digital readout, electric start, electronic reverse via the new method of switching the timing so that the engine runs in reverse - no extra parts or weight! I love that reverse action. The hard saddle bags are also removable in a couple seconds, and have some liners inside them so that when you get to the cabin, you just lift the whole bag out to take inside instead of carrying a bunch of loose stuff.

So... today I believe I'm going to go to a bit of cruising around on the trails very carefully since there's really not enough snow to go bombing around in a carefree manner.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum

2. Thanks Abbey Marie, Kathianne, Gunny, Elessar thanked this post
    Likes Kathianne, jimnyc, Taco Junkie liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    181 Post(s)

That does look like a lot of fun!
    After the game, the king and the pawn go into the same box - Author unknown

“Unfortunately, the truth is now whatever the media say it is”
    -Abbey

4. Thanks NightTrain thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

That thing has my name written all over it for March!! Well, maybe at least out in a field or on the ice, where there's nothing to hit on 100 yards of any side of me. I don't want things to end splattering into a tree! I want to definitely hit some jumps and get some pics!

Spit out a lot of heat? I can't imagine it being very warm when cruising at 80mph on a snowy day at about 20 degrees out. Lower your head and have some heat though...
    “You know the world is going crazy when the best rapper is a white guy, the best golfer is a black guy, the tallest guy in the NBA is Chinese, the Swiss hold the America's Cup, France is accusing the U.S. of arrogance, Germany doesn't want to go to war, and the three most powerful men in America are named "Bush", "Dick", and "Colin." Need I say more?” - Chris Rock

6. Thanks NightTrain thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    201 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jimnyc View Post
    That thing has my name written all over it for March!! Well, maybe at least out in a field or on the ice, where there's nothing to hit on 100 yards of any side of me. I don't want things to end splattering into a tree! I want to definitely hit some jumps and get some pics!

Spit out a lot of heat? I can't imagine it being very warm when cruising at 80mph on a snowy day at about 20 degrees out. Lower your head and have some heat though...

Yeah, that's one of the benefits to fan cooled as opposed to liquid cooled. The engine air is directed out behind the windshield so that you've got a steady stream of warm air circulating around. I got the fan cooled instead of liquid cooled because a liquid needs to have snow in the track to get thrown up against the heat exchangers while you're riding, meaning that you need to dip off the hard pack trail frequently when riding to keep her cooled, and when you're hauling a 2,000# freight sled behind you, the last thing you want to do is get off that hardpack trail or you'll be stuck in a big way.

The tradeoff between a fan and liquid engine is less power for the fan - the tolerances are much tighter in the liquid because you have a much more uniform cooling to the whole engine and more power. They deliberately build the fan engine with larger tolerances to accommodate the more uneven cooling.

So this one will be just fine pulling a heavy load to the cabin with no worries, and it's still small enough to go have fun with it out in the powder and up the mountains... she'll do 90 I imagine, which is still plenty fast enough to kill you.

I'll report back when I find a lake suitable to open her up and see just how fast she goes!

8. Thanks Kathianne thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Sweet! Snowmobiles or snow machines as you call them up there, are fun and in your area have huge practicality. Enjoy!

10. Thanks NightTrain, Abbey Marie thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)

@NightTrain, think it's cool when toys are still on your list. Enjoy!

"The government is a child that has found their parents credit card, and spends knowing that they never have to reconcile the bill with their own money"-Shannon Churchill

12. Thanks NightTrain, Abbey Marie thanked this post
    Likes Taco Junkie liked this post
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    139 Post(s)

beautiful! got a go-pro? Hook us up!
    “… the greatest detractor from high performance is fear: fear that you are not prepared, fear that you are in over your head, fear that you are not worthy, and ultimately, fear of failure. If you can eliminate that fear—not through arrogance or just wishing difficulties away, but through hard work and preparation—you will put yourself in an incredibly powerful position to take on the challenges you face" - Pete Carroll.

14. Thanks NightTrain, Abbey Marie thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    201 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by darin View Post
    beautiful! got a go-pro? Hook us up!
    Funny you should ask that... the wifey did get me a Go-Pro for Christmas and it has a helmet mount!

16. Thanks darin thanked this post
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    139 Post(s)

mmhmm
    “… the greatest detractor from high performance is fear: fear that you are not prepared, fear that you are in over your head, fear that you are not worthy, and ultimately, fear of failure. If you can eliminate that fear—not through arrogance or just wishing difficulties away, but through hard work and preparation—you will put yourself in an incredibly powerful position to take on the challenges you face" - Pete Carroll.

18. Likes NightTrain liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    201 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by darin View Post

mmhmm

lol

There's really not enough snow around here to go riding... I have exactly 1.5 miles on her now.

There's 2 or 3 feet up in Talkeetna from what I'm hearing, so we're going to go take a peek at the river tomorrow or Saturday and see if we can bust open the trail to the cabin. I imagine there will be some water skipping involved, but I'm not skeered. And I'll video it with some Go-Pro goodness.

20. Thanks darin, Kathianne thanked this post
    Likes Kathianne liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    181 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by NightTrain View Post
    lol

There's really not enough snow around here to go riding... I have exactly 1.5 miles on her now.

There's 2 or 3 feet up in Talkeetna from what I'm hearing, so we're going to go take a peek at the river tomorrow or Saturday and see if we can bust open the trail to the cabin. I imagine there will be some water skipping involved, but I'm not skeered. And I'll video it with some Go-Pro goodness.
    Must be that global warming again.

After the game, the king and the pawn go into the same box - Author unknown

“Unfortunately, the truth is now whatever the media say it is”
    -Abbey