Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)

Default Two Computers, Both Down, Fixed One...

So the shop computer the other night was acting funny so I decided to restart it, and it just went to the little windows icon and did nothing. Did a hard shut off and started an auto repair cycle, didn't work. Did another hard shut down and went to the repair page and clicked on reset this computer. Went through a long cycle of that and then back to just doing nothing. Son said "well it's messed up" and he took it, and that's coming from IT guy. So today, I notice I can't click on iheart radio to listen to Rush on my good ASUS in home desktop, so I restarted it and it starts the SAME THING. I tried the same fixes but SAME DAMN THING. Well, I remembered I had a W7 Home Premium disc so I installed that on here and I'm back in business, the COMPUTER is fine. I think what happened is this DAMN W10 AUTOMATICALLY INSTALLING IT'S UPDATES without YOU knowing, and if you have an older computer like these that came with W7 on them instead of something newer like the touch screen computers, well updates are being downloaded in the background that is NOT going to be compatible with it, thus, your computer just became junk, unless you have the where with all and basic computer knowledge to fix it by reinstalling a new operating system.

I think the way they do this stuff, like Apple INTENTIONALLY SLOWING DOWN their older phones, is just freakin' CRIMINAL, this INTENTIONAL OBSOLESCENCE that they PROGRAM into it. Your equipment can be working just FINE... UNTIL... they come along and DOWNLOAD something into it that SCREWS IT UP, OR deletes something that you NEEDED only to find out that you can NO LONGER get that DRIVER, DOWNLOAD, SUPPORT, whatever, now you're just SCREWED! Oh... sorry... guess you'll have to go out and buy NEW STUFF... it's criminal. Probably what hit AboutTime's computer the other day too.
    Last edited by High_Plains_Drifter; 01-04-2018 at 04:00 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    368 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by High_Plains_Drifter View Post
    So the shop computer the other night was acting funny so I decided to restart it, and it just went to the little windows icon and did nothing. Did a hard shut off and started an auto repair cycle, didn't work. Did another hard shut down and went to the repair page and clicked on reset this computer. Went through a long cycle of that and then back to just doing nothing. Son said "well it's messed up" and he took it, and that's coming from IT guy. So today, I notice I can't click on iheart radio to listen to Rush on my good ASUS in home desktop, so I restarted it and it starts the SAME THING. I tried the same fixes but SAME DAMN THING. Well, I remembered I had a W7 Home Premium disc so I installed that on here and I'm back in business, the COMPUTER is fine. I think what happened is this DAMN W10 AUTOMATICALLY INSTALLING IT'S UPDATES without YOU knowing, and if you have an older computer like these that came with W7 on them instead of something newer like the touch screen computers, well updates are being downloaded in the background that is NOT going to be compatible with it, thus, your computer just became junk, unless you have the where with all and basic computer knowledge to fix it by reinstalling a new operating system.

I think the way they do this stuff, like Apple INTENTIONALLY SLOWING DOWN their older phones, is just freakin' CRIMINAL, this INTENTIONAL OBSOLESCENCE that they PROGRAM into it. Your equipment can be working just FINE... UNTIL... they come along and DOWNLOAD something into it that SCREWS IT UP, OR deletes something that you NEEDED only to find out that you can NO LONGER get that DRIVER, DOWNLOAD, SUPPORT, whatever, now you're just SCREWED! Oh... sorry... guess you'll have to go out and buy NEW STUFF... it's criminal. Probably what hit AboutTime's computer the other day too.
    I just cleaned mine off real good and WTH? It works like it's supposed to.

I hate all this touch screen bullshit. When this thing dies, I'm going back to a desktop. This is what I get for trying to fix shit that ain't broken.
    “When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall, one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle.” Edumnd Burke

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

I have Windows 8 and do these things:

* TURN OF WINDOZE AUTOMATIC UPDATES AND NEVER EVER UPDATE - WINDOZE 10 IS SPYWARE GARBAGE

Turn it off and Google for solutions to deleting updates that prompt Windows 8 to upgrade to 10, the list is extensive, but you'll be safest by simply never updating Windows. Keep your Firewall up, keep your AV software up to date.

* IF YOU HAVE WINDOZE 10 BE SURE ALL TELEMETRY IS TURNED OFF

You can Google for solutions, just don't monkey with your registry if you don't feel comfortable doing that, there may be batch files you can run that will do it automatically, I don't have Windows 10.

* ENABLE UAC (User Account Control)

Google for solutions. UAC asks for permission before a program runs, which would include malware. If you find it annoying to have to do this than you deserve to have your system bricked by a virus.

* DEFRAG AT LEAST ONCE A MONTH IF NOT MORE (CAN BE SET TO RUN ON A SCHEDULE)

* RUN CHECKDISK WITH AUTO REPAIR OFTEN

https://www.howtogeek.com/howto/wind...windows-vista/

* RUN SFC SCANNOW OCCASIONALLY OR WHEN BUGGY

Admin Level Command Prompt: SFC /Scannow

Tutorial: http://www.eightforums.com/tutorials...ndows-8-a.html

* RUN DISM WITH NETWORKING OCCASIONALLY OR WHEN BUGGY

Admin Level Command Prompt: Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth

Tutorial: http://www.eightforums.com/tutorials...ndows-8-a.html
    Last edited by GravyBoat; 01-04-2018 at 06:09 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)

Yeah there is a way to turn off automatic updates for W10, but then you open up your computer to hacking if it doesn't have the latest in spyware, adware, antivirus removal and detection, so you're kind of stuck between a rock and a hard place.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)

Yeah there is a way to turn off automatic updates for W10, but then you open up your computer to hacking if it doesn't have the latest in spyware, adware, antivirus removal and detection, so you're kind of stuck between a rock and a hard place.
    Both my PC and Lappy were engineered with W7.

I took the W10 'upgrade' on the PC and it eventually wrecked it. Had to take it into a tech and have it scrubbed
    and W7 reinstalled. The Auto Updates with W10 shut you right the hell off.

Lappy with W7 runs just fine and I ain't gonna change it!
    I have lost my mind. If found, please give it a snack and return it?

"I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same of others"...John Wayne in "The Shootist"

A Deplorable!

6. Likes High_Plains_Drifter liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Elessar View Post
    Both my PC and Lappy were engineered with W7.

I took the W10 'upgrade' on the PC and it eventually wrecked it. Had to take it into a tech and have it scrubbed
    and W7 reinstalled. The Auto Updates with W10 shut you right the hell off.

Lappy with W7 runs just fine and I ain't gonna change it!
    Yup, spent most of the day today getting W7 installed and all updated. Had over 200 updates, took quite awhile, but, now I have the options panel with all the cool fun stuff back for my Microsoft Cinema Lifecam HD, and the old onboard graphics started working again even though I've installed a new high end graphics card. I wouldn't have had to if I'd have just reinstalled W7 when that W10 update wiped out the onboard graphics driver.

I hate W10. The only thing it's good on is the NEW TOUCH SCREEN computers. That's what it was written and designed for. If you have an older computer, keep your W7.
    Last edited by High_Plains_Drifter; 01-04-2018 at 11:08 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)

Yup, spent most of the day today getting W7 installed and all updated. Had over 200 updates, took quite awhile, but, now I have the options panel with all the cool fun stuff back for my Microsoft Cinema Lifecam HD, and the old onboard graphics started working again even though I've installed a new high end graphics card. I wouldn't have had to if I'd have just reinstalled W7 when that W10 update wiped out the onboard graphics driver.

I hate W10. The only thing it's good on is the NEW TOUCH SCREEN computers. That's what it was written and designed for. If you have an older computer, keep your W7.
    I will admit that I am not a techie.

I am a hammer banger, can tie, splice and secure any line or cord you can see.
    I can prep, paint and surface and guarantee it.

A computer? I am a whimpering 3rd grader!
    I have lost my mind. If found, please give it a snack and return it?

"I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same of others"...John Wayne in "The Shootist"

A Deplorable!