[The National Interest]
    Task and Purpose, Jared Keller
    ,The National Interest•January 6, 2018

Task and Purpose, Jared Keller

Security, North America
    Glock HandgunsGlock 9mmGlock FirearmsGlock U.S.Glock 19x
    Their loss could be your gain.

You Can Now Buy the Glock Pistol That the U.S. Army Didn't Want

The Army may have chosen Sig Sauer’s P320 for its Modular Handgun System program over Glock’s offerings, but that doesn’t mean you have to: Glock plans on releasing a civilian variant of its 9mm Glock 19 pistol to civilian buyers this month, the company announced today.

Glock’s commercial pistol, dubbed the 19X, is the company’s first stab at a crossover model, combining the Glock 17 frame with a Glock 19 barrel. With a “marksman barrel” and ambidextrous slide-stop levers, the pistol is designed to be as versatile as it is powerful, “almost like a [1911] Commander-style situation where you’ve got the shorter barrel with the full-sized grip frame,” as national sales manager Bob Radecki told Army Times on Jan. 2.

Back in June, the Austrian gunmaker released photos of the 9mm Glock 19 and .40 caliber Glock 23 pistols offered up to the Army as part of the MHS program. But the company has now given the Internet a belated Christmas present of fresh new 19X photos.

We haven’t had the chance to review the Glock 19X ourselves, but the pistol is “likely to be most talked about firearm for 2018,” according to our (extremely knowledgeable) friends at The Firearm Blog, who had a chance to test-shoot the weapon prior to the public announcement. “This aberration of a Gen5,” reviewer Adam Scepaniak wrote, “allows for the capacity of their full size G17 magazines, more dexterity and positive handling, and accuracy in a smaller package.” Translation: Shut up and take our money.

Glock is certainly going hard with the hype around its MHS runner-up. “Our goal was to meet the demanding needs of the military while maintaining our standard of perfection,” Glock vice president Josh Dorsey said in the company’s Jan. 2 statement. “With proven testing results and fewer parts than our competitors’ pistols, the G19X has maximum efficiency, reliability and is easy to maintain.”

That statement is a clear dig at Sig Sauer’s P320, adopted by the Army as the M17/M18 and first fielded (and praised) by 25 soldiers with the 101st Airborne’s 1st Brigade Combat Team at the end of November 2017. After the Army announced the MHS award for Sig in January, Glock protested in a federal complaint that a shortened testing timeline put the Glock 19 at a disadvantage; though the complaint was thrown out in May, Sig’s P320 has been plagued by reports of safety defects from civilian law enforcement agencies.

Glock’s 19X pistol will arrive at select firearms dealers on Jan. 22nd, accompanied by a 17-round magazine, two 19-round magazines, and a case in the same plain coyote hue as the sidearm (the second time in the company’s history they’ve shipped a colored box, per TFB… which is cool, I guess). A Glock spokesman told Task & Purpose that while additional specifications of the pistol will be made available after the official launch, the suggested retail price of the Glock 19X is $749 with blue label pricing at $455.40.
    I am not a big fan of having the 9mm caliber in a pistol, as I believe in l having a larger caliber with greater one shot stopping power!
    Yet this Glock having 17 and 19 round magazines certainly makes it far more alluring.
    As those extra rounds already loaded and ready to fire also have value in self/home defense scenarios!--Tyr
    18 U.S. Code § 2381-Treason Whoever, owing allegiance to the United States, levies war against them or adheres to their enemies, giving them aid and comfort within the United States or elsewhere, is guilty of treason and shall suffer death, or shall be imprisoned not less than five years and fined under this title but not less than $10,000; and shall be incapable of holding any office under the United States.

2. Thanks Black Diamond thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Tyr-Ziu Saxnot View Post
    I am not a big fan of having the 9mm caliber in a pistol, as I believe in l having a larger caliber with greater one shot stopping power!
    Yet this Glock having 17 and 19 round magazines certainly makes it far more alluring.
    As those extra rounds already loaded and ready to fire also have value in self/home defense scenarios!--Tyr
    Do you prefer .45? .357?

4. Thanks Tyr-Ziu Saxnot thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Black Diamond View Post
    Do you prefer .45? .357?
    Oh and I forgot the .40

6. Thanks Tyr-Ziu Saxnot thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)

I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.
    Thomas Jefferson

8. Thanks Elessar, Tyr-Ziu Saxnot, Gunny thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)

I prefer .40 or .45.

A 9mm has no knockdown power. They look good taget shooting, just like a .22.

But for tactics and combat shooting, use the other ones. .38 and .357 are not shabby either.

Just like John Wayne said in The Shootist....."Son shooting targets is is easy, but there is no one shooting back"
    Last edited by Elessar; 01-06-2018 at 06:22 PM.
    I have lost my mind. If found, please give it a snack and return it?

"I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same of others"...John Wayne in "The Shootist"

A Deplorable!

10. Thanks Black Diamond, Tyr-Ziu Saxnot thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Black Diamond View Post
    Do you prefer .45? .357?
    I prefer 40 or 45 calibers, my favorite pistol is my 45 cal Kimber.
    I love my Glock and Sigs too.
    My 40 cal Springfield Arms XD is an exceptional automatic as well.--Tyr
    18 U.S. Code § 2381-Treason Whoever, owing allegiance to the United States, levies war against them or adheres to their enemies, giving them aid and comfort within the United States or elsewhere, is guilty of treason and shall suffer death, or shall be imprisoned not less than five years and fined under this title but not less than $10,000; and shall be incapable of holding any office under the United States.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)

.44 mag.

13. Thanks Tyr-Ziu Saxnot thanked this post
    Likes Elessar liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by High_Plains_Drifter View Post
    .44 mag.
    Pistol for bear country my friend. Had several friends that own such and shot theirs a few times.
    Hand bazooka, was what they called it and they were not far off the mark!
    Definitely going to put down whatever it hits, but first one has to be able to hit with it.... --Tyr

15. Likes High_Plains_Drifter liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Tyr-Ziu Saxnot View Post
    Pistol for bear country my friend. Had several friends that own such and shot theirs a few times.
    Hand bazooka, was what they called it and they were not far off the mark!
    Definitely going to put down whatever it hits, but first one has to be able to hit with it.... --Tyr
    It guards my front door, pard... loaded with hollow points... yes it will knock down whatever it hits... if it's a person, the ambulance is just going to be picking up parts. The finish isn't bad on it like it appears, it's just got a lot of oil on it and some little pieces of fabric from the case in the oil. The pistol is mint... I keep all my guns oiled up pretty good. Don't want them to rust. It's a large pistol, takes a big hand to hang onto it, it's got a pretty good kick to it even though it's quite heavy...

This guards the back door, my little Ruger Vaquero Birdshead... my "Doc Holiday" pistol in .45 Long Colt, also loaded with hollow points. You wouldn't want to get shot with that either... buffalo horn grips...

A man has to protect his castle.
    Last edited by High_Plains_Drifter; 01-09-2018 at 10:26 AM.

17. Thanks Tyr-Ziu Saxnot thanked this post
    Likes Tyr-Ziu Saxnot liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Elessar View Post
    I prefer .40 or .45.

A 9mm has no knockdown power. They look good taget shooting, just like a .22.

But for tactics and combat shooting, use the other ones. .38 and .357 are not shabby either.

Just like John Wayne said in The Shootist....."Son shooting targets is is easy, but there is no one shooting back"

Care to stand in front of mine?

38 and 9 were almost equal key word being were. There are many more choices in 9 now and I can put 10 in the 10 ring in under 6 seconds at 15 yards. And I have 38, 357, 40 and 45 too. I can put a lot more 9s in the pie faster than any other caliber.

Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)

Deleted, misplaced post..
    Last edited by Tyr-Ziu Saxnot; 01-13-2018 at 12:45 PM.

20. Thanks Gunny thanked this post