Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)

Default S.o.s.

We all know that in recipes thread, I'm not screaming for assistance

But seriously, I miss the stuff. Especially on a cold day, that really gave you a leg up on the day.

On the Coast Guard thread on Facebook, someone posted their recipe, on I plan on giving a try.

Anyone else have a good one?

S.O.S. Coast Guard Style

1lb ground beef. 1 sm onion minced.
    Add onion salt pepper to ground beef and brown off on med high.
    Drain excess grease. Sprinkle with flour while stirring until mixture is dry.
    Continue stirring until mixture is well blended. Add cold milk while stirring.
    Allow to simmer 30 minutes. Add additional salt/pepper to taste. Enjoy
    Every day I beat my previous record of consecutive days I've stayed alive.

2. Thanks Gunny thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Bilgerat View Post
    We all know that in recipes thread, I'm not screaming for assistance

But seriously, I miss the stuff. Especially on a cold day, that really gave you a leg up on the day.

On the Coast Guard thread on Facebook, someone posted their recipe, on I plan on giving a try.

Anyone else have a good one?

S.O.S. Coast Guard Style

1lb ground beef. 1 sm onion minced.
    Add onion salt pepper to ground beef and brown off on med high.
    Drain excess grease. Sprinkle with flour while stirring until mixture is dry.
    Continue stirring until mixture is well blended. Add cold milk while stirring.
    Allow to simmer 30 minutes. Add additional salt/pepper to taste. Enjoy
    I couldn't agree MORE! I used to get this in the AF chow halls over hash browns, and I couldn't WAIT to have that each morning, I really miss chow hall breakfasts'. I don't know if it's made with milk though in the AF. I found a video on youtube a few years back that made it with chicken stock and a dash of Worcestershire sauce. I thought it tasted pretty close to me when I made it.

4. Thanks Bilgerat, Gunny thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

They sell air dried beef at the store in a glass bottle, salty stuff. My mom used to make it with Buddig beef but it's not the same as a real chipped beef. Making a roux is key to good meat gravies. Southerners make sausage gravy using the regular kind of Jimmie Dean sausage. I copied the recipe as found but it says "scalded milk" in a way that's confusing, I think it should say evaporated milk.

This recipe from UrbanDictionary says it's authentic:

My dad was in the army for 24 years and my mom use to make this for him. I love the stuff. The navy uses chipped beef but I prefer the hamburger version.

Here is an official U.S. Army recipe for SOS:

CREAMED BEEF ON TOAST (SOS)

1/2 lb. ground beef
    1/4 tsp. salt
    1/4 tsp. pepper
    4 tbsp. sifted flour
    1 cup evaporated milk
    1 cup water
    2 tbsp. butter

Brown ground beef in its own fat. Remove excess fat and save for making roux. Season with salt and pepper. To make roux, place 2 tbsp. reserved fat in double broiler or heavy pan. Slowly add sifted flour, stirring constantly over low heat until thoroughly blended. Cook for five minutes. Do not brown. Combine milk and water. Add butter and scald (not burn) in double broiler or heavy pan. Add roux to scalded milk, stirring constantly until thoroughly blended. Add meat mixture and cook about 10 minutes, or until desired consistency. Serve on toast.

6. Thanks Bilgerat, LongTermGuy thanked this post
    Likes jimnyc, High_Plains_Drifter liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    66 Post(s)

I just pop a package of Stouffer's in boiling water and wait 18-20 minutes...
    "I am allergic to piety, it makes me break out in rash judgements." - Penn Jillette
    "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with a lot of pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
    "The man who invented the telescope found out more about heaven than the closed eyes of prayer ever discovered." - Robert G. Ingersoll

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)

The recipe I saw on youtube for "Air Force chow hall SOS gravy" was pretty close to BR's... brown ground chuck and diced onions in fry pan, remove from pan and drain off excess grease, in same fry pan, melt half a stick of butter, add flour, mix, then slowly add chicken stock to desired consistency, add browned burger and onions back into roux with a dash of Worcestershire sauce and salt and pepper to taste. IDK if that's exactly the way the AF made it or not, but it seemed pretty close to me.
    Last edited by High_Plains_Drifter; 01-15-2018 at 02:04 PM.

9. Thanks Bilgerat thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by hjmick View Post
    Help yourself....

11. Thanks Bilgerat thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    66 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Black Diamond View Post
    Help yourself....

Meh, I'm the only one in the house who eats the stuff and it's damn close to the way my grandmother used to make it so...
    "I am allergic to piety, it makes me break out in rash judgements." - Penn Jillette
    "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with a lot of pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
    "The man who invented the telescope found out more about heaven than the closed eyes of prayer ever discovered." - Robert G. Ingersoll

13. Thanks Bilgerat thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by hjmick View Post

Since my "diet" contains spices and hot peppers that would not be considered by the normal person, I am not one to critique other's food. But I don't think I would like the Stouffer's way.

Quote Originally Posted by High_Plains_Drifter View Post
    The recipe I saw on youtube for "Air Force chow hall SOS gravy" was pretty close to BR's... brown ground chuck and diced onions in fry pan, remove from pan and drain off excess grease, in same fry pan, melt half a stick of butter, add flour, mix, then slowly add chicken stock to desired consistency, add browned burger and onions back into roux with a dash of Worcestershire sauce and salt and pepper to taste. IDK if that's exactly the way the AF made it or not, but it seemed pretty close to me.

The butter and Worcestershire sauce makes good sense to me.

15. Likes High_Plains_Drifter liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    368 Post(s)

I won't touch the Stouffers. To each his own.

Marine COrps chow halls used sausage instead of ground beef. Great for breakfast after a night at the E-Club . I would get my eggs over easy and put the stuff on my eggs and hash browns.

Never tried to make any myself. Too much work. An omelet with every cheese and pepper in the kitchen I can deal with.

Morning chow was the one meal the Marine Corps couldn't figure out how to screw up. I used to eat at the recruit chow hall all the time. When I was a kid, we'd go to the Airman's Club after church and we (brother and me) thought that was good chow
    “When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall, one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle.” Edumnd Burke

17. Thanks Bilgerat thanked this post
    Likes High_Plains_Drifter liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)

Dad used to make it with chipped beef.

Pretty darn yummy!
    I have lost my mind. If found, please give it a snack and return it?

"I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same of others"...John Wayne in "The Shootist"

A Deplorable!

19. Thanks Bilgerat thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    368 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Elessar View Post
    Dad used to make it with chipped beef.

Pretty darn yummy!
    I don't like cream chipped beef. Don't know why, either because I WILL eat the SOS.
    “When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall, one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle.” Edumnd Burke

21. Likes Bilgerat liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)

Default S.o.s.

My mother used to make it for lunch when I was in elementary school. It was white, and had chipped beef in it. Sometimes, we put it on top of toast, and the toast soaked up the creamy stuff. A little salt, and pepper, with a pad of butter in the center..Was always good.

On the other hand. The S.O.S. in the navy lived up to it's name SAME OLD SH*t. They always had a lot of it left after breakfast. Not a favorite back then. Don't know about now.

In the fifties. SOS was lunch if we were in a payday week. Otherwise. We had potato soup for lunch, and left over potato soup for dinner....warmed over.
    I didn't know we were poor until we had potato soup for a whole week for dinner. And my father came home on Friday night with Cole Slaw, and Two dozen Fried Oysters. That was a treat.
    I love to make Liberals Cry, and Whine.
    So, this is for them.
    GOD BLESS AMERICA - IN GOD WE TRUST !

23. Thanks Gunny, High_Plains_Drifter, Bilgerat thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)

At any rate, breakfast was my favorite meal to eat in the chow hall. Even though I only lived on base for maybe 6 months of the 8 years I spent in the AF, I always ate the breakfast and usually the lunch. Thinking back, there would be very few if any times I ever ate AF chow hall food and it wasn't especially good. I liked it. I wish there was an AF chow hall around here near somewhere for civilians, I'd be there for breakfast every day again...
    Last edited by High_Plains_Drifter; 01-15-2018 at 09:07 PM.

25. Thanks Bilgerat thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    368 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by High_Plains_Drifter View Post
    At any rate, breakfast was my favorite meal to eat in the chow hall. Even though I only lived on base for maybe 6 months of the 8 years I spent in the AF, I always ate the breakfast and usually the lunch. Thinking back, there would be very few if any times I ever ate AF chow hall food and it wasn't especially good. I liked it. I wish there was an AF chow hall around here near somewhere for civilians, I'd be there for breakfast every day again...
    We ate at the chow hall/Airman's Club on Iraklion AFB, Crete. It was a tiny base. The NCO Club was down at the beach. The Airman's Club was basically open to everyone because there were no restaurants. You ate at home, the snack bar or one of the clubs. The Airman's Club there WAS the chow hall.

27. Thanks Bilgerat thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by aboutime View Post
    My mother used to make it for lunch when I was in elementary school. It was white, and had chipped beef in it. Sometimes, we put it on top of toast, and the toast soaked up the creamy stuff. A little salt, and pepper, with a pad of butter in the center..Was always good.

On the other hand. The S.O.S. in the navy lived up to it's name SAME OLD SH*t. They always had a lot of it left after breakfast. Not a favorite back then. Don't know about now.

In the fifties. SOS was lunch if we were in a payday week. Otherwise. We had potato soup for lunch, and left over potato soup for dinner....warmed over.
    I didn't know we were poor until we had potato soup for a whole week for dinner. And my father came home on Friday night with Cole Slaw, and Two dozen Fried Oysters. That was a treat.

We had cod fish cakes when money got tight

Since I worked some times on the boats, cod was easy to come by

Mix up left over fish with mash and onions, fry it up nice and brown.

29. Thanks Gunny thanked this post