Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default The Media Is So Gun Ignorant! (WOT-related)

I can't link to the photograph, because it was removed by the AFP, but here was the caption:

An elderly Iraqi woman shows two bullets which she says hit her house following an early coalition forces raid in the predominantly Shiite Baghdad suburb of Sadr City.(AFP/Wissam al-Okaili)
    You can still see the accompanying image here:

http://hotair.com/archives/2007/08/1...sm-of-the-day/

I didn't know that casings remained attached to bullets after they were fired

Maybe one of our guys had a pop-no-kick and pulled the charging handle so hard that the bullet flew out of the ejection port, casing, bullet and all, and hit this woman's house

At least the woman in the picture had the decency to use what appear to be NATO rounds (just guessing - the cartridges appear to be brass cased - looks like 5.56 and 7.62 NATO). Would have been pretty funny if she'd used some steel-cased Russian/Chinese-made Warsaw Pact crap and claimed it was fired by Americans.

Fuck, man, reporters are idiots.
    Last edited by Nate; 08-16-2007 at 12:07 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Nate View Post

For this line alone I need to give you rep points......
    Experience is what you get when you don't get what you want." -Dr. Randy Pausch

Death is lighter than a feather, Duty is heavier than a mountain

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Nate View Post
    I can't link to the photograph, because it was removed by the AFP, but here was the caption:

You can still see the accompanying the image here:

http://hotair.com/archives/2007/08/1...sm-of-the-day/

I didn't know that casings remained attached to bullets after they were fired

Maybe one of our guys had a pop-no-kick and pulled the charging handle so hard that the bullet flew out of the ejection port, casing, bullet and all, and hit this woman's house

At least the woman in the picture had the decency to use what appear to be NATO rounds (just guessing - the cartridges appear to be brass cased - looks like 5.56 and 7.62 NATO). Would have been pretty funny if she'd used some steel-cased Russian/Chinese-made Warsaw Pact crap and claimed it was fired by Americans.

She looks like the same woman who the liberal media have been following around for years creating propaganda against the war.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)

The responsibility of the media is to inform and protect the American people. Not to protect and cover up for the Executive branch or American military interests.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by gabosaurus View Post
    The responsibility of the media is to inform and protect the American people. Not to protect and cover up for the Executive branch or American military interests.
    Irrelevant post. Completely.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by glockmail View Post
    Irrelevant post. Completely.
    I must concur with you, which happens about every 5 'blue moons'. Looks like Gabby doesn't care if the msm is spoon feeding propaganda, as long as it isn't US propaganda.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    373 Post(s)

It is the responsibility of the media to check out the authenticity of what it is selling to us as "truth."

Anyone who has ever fired a weapon of knows anything about them knows the only way a bullet his your house with casing intact is if someone THROWS it.
    “When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall, one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle.” Edumnd Burke

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    66 Post(s)

WTF?! Did you even click on the link? Look at the story and picture in question? It is the responsibility of the media to inform the American people...WITH THE FUCKING TRUTH! The only way those bullets could have possibly "hit her house" is if they were THROWN AT HER HOUSE!

Here, let me make it easier for you, I'll post the picture and caption from AFP:

An elderly Iraqi woman shows two bullets which she says hit her house following an early coalition forces raid in the predominantly Shiite Baghdad suburb of Sadr City.
    "I am allergic to piety, it makes me break out in rash judgements." - Penn Jillette
    "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with a lot of pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
    "The man who invented the telescope found out more about heaven than the closed eyes of prayer ever discovered." - Robert G. Ingersoll

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    66 Post(s)

I see some folks already hit the same notes I did. Sorry about that. I read gabosaurus' post and went straight to reply, skipped everything else.
    "I am allergic to piety, it makes me break out in rash judgements." - Penn Jillette
    "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with a lot of pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
    "The man who invented the telescope found out more about heaven than the closed eyes of prayer ever discovered." - Robert G. Ingersoll

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

so publishing lies - lies they know are lies - is fullfilling that responsibility?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

the liberal media has shown its anti US military bias so many different times. The countless stories that have been proven to be false, fake photos, and allowing terrorists to take them on a tour of US inflicted damage

No wonder the public believes the MSM is slanted, biased, and unreliable

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by hjmick View Post

I am 80% certain I saw this very same photo a couple yrs ago. Anyone else?
    A propaganda file photo recycled?
    UNITED STATES ARMY AVIATION

Above the Best

Why the Hell should I have to press “1” for ENGLISH?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. P View Post
    There have been many instances where the same photo has been used. Even dead people have been seen in mulitiple pics - and they are not dead in some of them

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. P View Post
    It's probably a stock photo. They're used all the time, especially for Internet stories. The woman's house probably was hit by gun fire at some point and then posed for a picture with the bullets later-on or maybe while she was being interviewed. The pic was probably sent on the wire and then some schlub in some news bureau somewhere added the caption later. Are you guys really buying this as "evidence" of a vast liberal media conspiracy?

Believe me, the media version of events is much more accurate than the one Washington feeds us. You guys seem to forget that the media is made-up of people. People make mistakes sometimes--this is a pretty stupid mistake, but it isn't indicative of the media as a whole. You think an imbeded journalist in Iraq wouldn't know the difference between a shell casing and an un-fired round?
    Quote Originally Posted by Gaffer
    Science wants to explain things and understand why they happen. Creationists want to use science to justify their own causes.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Hagbard Celine View Post
    It's probably a stock photo. They're used all the time, especially for Internet stories. The woman's house probably was hit by gun fire at some point and then posed for a picture with the bullets later-on or maybe while she was being interviewed. The pic was probably sent on the wire and then some schlub in some news bureau somewhere added the caption later. Are you guys really buying this as "evidence" of a vast liberal media conspiracy?

Believe me, the media version of events is much more accurate than the one Washington feeds us. You guys seem to forget that the media is made-up of people. People make mistakes sometimes--this is a pretty stupid mistake, but it isn't indicative of the media as a whole. You think an imbeded journalist in Iraq wouldn't know the difference between a shell casing and an un-fired round?

No, the media is made up of liberals who are biased in their views and allow that bias to influence what and how they report

CNN has the famous Michael Ware who is constantly injecting his personal views into his "news stories"