Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by High_Plains_Drifter View Post
    Getting old does suck, in many different ways, most predominant though, in my opinion, is the slow physical deterioration. But watching loved ones pass, losing good friends, seeing the world change and knowing your end is getting nearer and nearer isn't the most pleasant thing. But in a way, I think getting old gets you ready to pass on, because you'll be so sick of being OLD that death will be a welcome relief, and the thought of seeing those who passed before you once again. To discard the flesh and set the soul free.
    Everything depends on your personal worldview. If you are lucky to find yourself once in a "tunnel" you become convinced in the rightness of some religious statements and this enables you to look at all things from a different angle. Atheists are poor souls, but this is THEIR choice.
    I would recommend you to read "The Master and Margarita" authored by M.Bulgakov. For you it surely won't be a waste of time.

http://www.masterandmargarita.eu/est...ita_glenny.pdf
    Last edited by Balu; 02-02-2018 at 11:40 AM.
    Indifferent alike to praise or blame
    Give heed, O Muse, but to the voice Divine
    Fearing not injury, nor seeking fame,
    Nor casting pearls to swine.
    (A.Pushkin)

2. Thanks High_Plains_Drifter, Abbey Marie thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    181 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by NightTrain View Post
    I guess I'm different... I embrace the new and look forward to it. Being in the same place doing the same thing wears on me after a while.

I love going to new places and meeting new people and exploring areas that I haven't been to before.
    I also think that you and Darin are coming from very different places in life right now. He has had some fundamental changes to his life recently. But yeah, you are two (awesome) very different guys in some ways.

After the game, the king and the pawn go into the same box - Author unknown

“Unfortunately, the truth is now whatever the media say it is”
    -Abbey

4. Thanks NightTrain thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    181 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by High_Plains_Drifter View Post
    Getting old does suck, in many different ways, most predominant though, in my opinion, is the slow physical deterioration. But watching loved ones pass, losing good friends, seeing the world change and knowing your end is getting nearer and nearer isn't the most pleasant thing. But in a way, I think getting old gets you ready to pass on, because you'll be so sick of being OLD that death will be a welcome relief, and the thought of seeing those who passed before you once again. To discard the flesh and set the soul free.
    The only two positives I feel about getting old are:
    1. Facing your mortality causes you to not sweat the small stuff so much, or to put it more positively, you learn to appreciate things in a more real way. After my heart attack, I saw how incredibly beautiful this planet really is.
    2. You're still alive!

The negatives are too long and depressing to list.
    After the game, the king and the pawn go into the same box - Author unknown

“Unfortunately, the truth is now whatever the media say it is”
    -Abbey

6. Likes High_Plains_Drifter liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by NightTrain View Post
    I guess I'm different... I embrace the new and look forward to it. Being in the same place doing the same thing wears on me after a while.

I love going to new places and meeting new people and exploring areas that I haven't been to before.
    With no intention to offend you, I would say the following - there are two possible options. Either you have already fully and clearly defined your scale of values in this Life, or you are still enjoying only the process of cognition itself.
    (A.Pushkin)

8. Thanks NightTrain thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    164 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Balu View Post
    With no intention to offend you, I would say the following - there are two possible options. Either you have already fully and clearly defined your scale of values in this Life, or you are still enjoying only the process of cognition itself.
    This works to a degree.

Even so, I'd suggest that a person could've fully worked out their personal scale of values ... OR ... something may subsequently happen to realign those values. A life lesson, perhaps ?

Such a person would re-engage the cognition process in order to evolve further, but, would've already gone so far as to be 'sure', until that point, to complete an understanding of acceptable values to be true to.

For example: you see strength as a meritorious end unto itself, having self-confirmatory 'values'. For myself, I'd say that there is far more to life than just posturing within those terms, and far more to be gained by a wider, more receptive and empathic attitude. Who's to say that your various interactions on this board won't help re-engage a cognitive process you'd previously thought to be long-since completed ?

We are all human beings (terrorists excluded, though .. everything about them denies any definition of 'human'). We all have common goals and hopes in our personal lives. Enmities, you'd imagine, SHOULDN'T exist ... yet, they do. Why ? Because those people let differences intervene. Pride gets in the way of understanding and good-fellowship. Minds become closed to what others have long known to be true.

It is a pity.

I think you have a lot to gain from your presence here, Balu. Be open to change.
    It's That Bloody Foreigner Again !!!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)

Default I love change....

Since I had my heart attack, and died twice. Every day is a new adventure when I wake up, and see light, take a breath, and hear my wife's voice. YOU CAN'T BEAT THAT !
    I love to make Liberals Cry, and Whine.
    So, this is for them.
    GOD BLESS AMERICA - IN GOD WE TRUST !

11. Thanks Drummond, LongTermGuy thanked this post
    Likes Drummond liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by darin View Post
    Today is my final day working in the office i've been in since October of 2015. Monday I report to a new location about 20 minutes from my house. This place is 3 miles from where I live. I'm frustrated a lot. I keep thinking "Well...this is probably the last time in my life I will walk down these stairs..." or "So weird to think I may never see that tree again, ever - 100 years from now that tree will likely be there and I'll be dead and gone."

I dont know what drives that within me, however - it's like every change the loss of what I'm leaving outweighs the excitement of what's next. Even when I'm leaving something less than ideal, I feel the "never again will I" blues.

Anyone else, or am I that weird?

You're just fine darin.....and Not alone!! Part of life. Like being in a Time Machine set / stuck on......Fast forward ...the older we get....things ...changes moving so fast which we have no control of and cannot digest quick enough........A feeling of wanting to put everything on STOP...just to catch up....

13. Thanks darin, Balu thanked this post
    Likes darin, Balu liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by LongTermGuy View Post

Your just fine darin.....and Not alone!! Part of life. Like being in a Time Machine set / stuck on......Fast forward ...the older we get....things ...changes moving so fast which we have no control of and cannot digest quick enough........A feeling of wanting to put everything on STOP...just to catch up....
    Another peculiar thing - The Life was passing - the time started running quicker. To compare - an endless time of a lesson at school and working days of a week now, which passing at the bullet velocity. The is a couple of songs from the Soviet film with subs. Hope some of you will like them.

(A.Pushkin)

15. Likes LongTermGuy liked this post