Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)

Default U.S. Test of Missile Interceptor Fails Off Hawaiian Coast.

U.S. Test of Missile Interceptor Fails Off Hawaiian Coast, Officials Say

By HELENE COOPER and ERIC SCHMITTJAN. 31, 2018
    Continue reading the main story Share This Page Continue reading the main story

• Tweet
    • Email
    • More
    • Save

Photo

A test in California of an interceptor known as the SM-3 Block IIA. Credit Ralph Scott/Missile Defense Agency WASHINGTON — An American interceptor missile missed its target in a test off the Hawaiian coast on Wednesday, Defense Department officials said, renewing concerns of how the United States will defend itself in the event of a missile attack by North Korea or another adversary.
    A Pentagon official said that the interceptor, an SM-3 Block IIA missile that is being developed by the Raytheon Company, was launched from a test site in Hawaii. Officials likened the test launch to an attempt to hit a bullet with another bullet.
    It was the second failure over the past year of a test of the SM-3, known as the standard missile; the last one was in June.
    Mark Wright, a spokesman for the Missile Defense Agency, confirmed “a live-fire missile flight test” from Kauai. He did not confirm that the test had failed.
    Advertisement

Continue reading the main story
    But two Defense Department officials, speaking on grounds of anonymity because they were not authorized to publicly discuss the test’s failure, said that the missile missed hitting the incoming dummy missile.
    The Trump White House

The historic moments, head-spinning developments and inside-the-White House intrigue.

See More »

Related Coverage

Advertisement

The failure comes as tensions with North Korea are running high. But it was somewhat routine for a missile defense system that even advocates will not promote as providing a defensive shield. Around half of the tests over the 13 years since the system became operational have been declared fully or partly successful.
    Last August, the United States did successfully intercept a medium-range ballistic missile off the coast of Hawaii.
    Newsletter Sign Up

Continue reading the main story Morning Briefing

Get what you need to know to start your day in the United States, Canada and the Americas, delivered to your inbox.
    Please verify you're not a robot by clicking the box.
    Invalid email address. Please re-enter.
    You must select a newsletter to subscribe to.

You agree to receive occasional updates and special offers for The New York Times's products and services.

Thank you for subscribing.

An error has occurred. Please try again later.

You are already subscribed to this email.

View all New York Times newsletters.

North Korea fired an intercontinental ballistic missile in November that flew both higher and longer than previous launches. Analysts said that missile had exhibited a potential range of more than 8,000 miles, able to reach Washington or any other part of the continental United States.
    Pyongyang has worked hard to be able to overwhelm defense systems that the Pentagon has placed in California, Alaska and Hawaii. North Korea regularly practices firing salvos of missiles because the American system is designed to intercept only one or two incoming warheads at a time.
    Analyses of recent North Korean flight tests and missiles that have been paraded through the streets of Pyongyang suggest that the North may also be seeking to develop maneuverable warheads. Such a tactic, if successfully developed, would help warheads dodge antimissile interceptors.
    Tests of the United States’ multibillion-dollar efforts at missile defense have had mixed results. A Pentagon report last year criticized the long-range system, saying that it “demonstrates a limited capability to defend the U.S. homeland from small numbers” of medium- and long-range missiles “launched from North Korea or Iran.”
    Military officials said that it was unclear why Wednesday’s test failed.
    On Tuesday, President Trump used his State of the Union speech to lash out at the North Korean government. He said that the country’s leader, Kim Jong-un, had brutalized his own people, and that he must be made to relinquish his nuclear program.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/01/31/u...st-failed.html

P.S.
    Reasons:
    1. Cloudy and windy weather,
    2. No radio beacon installed.
    Indifferent alike to praise or blame
    Give heed, O Muse, but to the voice Divine
    Fearing not injury, nor seeking fame,
    Nor casting pearls to swine.
    (A.Pushkin)

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    368 Post(s)

THIS ... RIGHT F-ING HERE is what I have against OUR big mouthed-a$$ media. Why don't we just announce to the morons in the world when something doesn't work? Especially something as "trivial" as National defense?

Our enemies don't need to spy on us. All they have to do is watch the freakin' blabbermouth MSM or read a paper.

We need to go back to keeping the media informed only when they need to know. Bad enough our own idiots here in the US talk a bunch of crap every time something doesn't work. But they are nice enough to clue in our enemies.
    “When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall, one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle.” Edumnd Burke

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)

Gosh! I wonder why they TEST something new?

Why not just wait and deploy things that are unproven?

However, You're right @Gunny...media has big mouths that do more harm than good.
    I have lost my mind. If found, please give it a snack and return it?

"I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same of others"...John Wayne in "The Shootist"

A Deplorable!

4. Thanks Gunny, High_Plains_Drifter thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gunny View Post
    THIS ... RIGHT F-ING HERE is what I have against OUR big mouthed-a$$ media. Why don't we just announce to the morons in the world when something doesn't work? Especially something as "trivial" as National defense?

Our enemies don't need to spy on us. All they have to do is watch the freakin' blabbermouth MSM or read a paper.

We need to go back to keeping the media informed only when they need to know. Bad enough our own idiots here in the US talk a bunch of crap every time something doesn't work. But they are nice enough to clue in our enemies.
    Yeah but HERE WE GO AGAIN... with the NEW YORK SLIMES and their BULL SHIT "ANONYMOUS SOURCES"...

"But two Defense Department officials, speaking on grounds of anonymity because they were not authorized to publicly discuss the test’s failure, said that the missile missed hitting the incoming dummy missile."

But yet we have THIS...

"Mark Wright, a spokesman for the Missile Defense Agency, confirmed “a live-fire missile flight test” from Kauai. He did not confirm that the test had failed."

This PLATINUM MEMBER of the DEMOCRAT PROPAGANDA CABAL is ONCE AGAIN with the "ANONYMOUS SOURCES." Well ya know what, I CALL BULL SHIT.
    Last edited by High_Plains_Drifter; 02-01-2018 at 02:15 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    145 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Elessar View Post
    Gosh! I wonder why they TEST something new?

Why not just wait and deploy things that are unproven?

However, You're right @Gunny...media has big mouths that do more harm than good.
    Public deserves to know if we are being protected or not. Isn't that the point of the memo release too?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)

Default The man who invented the light bulb FAILED too!

There's a reason they call it a TEST.

How many times did Thomas Alva Edison fail exactly? - Quora
    https://www.quora.com/How-many-times...n-fail-exactly
    Mar 18, 2015 - Thomas Edison's teachers said he was "too stupid to learn anything." He was fired from his first two jobs ... When a reporter asked, "How did it feel to fail 1,000 times?" Edison replied, "I didn't fail 1,000 .... It is irrelevant how many times he had to try building a functional lightbulb before he pulled it off. The only thing that really ...
    How many times did Thomas Edison fail making the light bulb? Nov 8, 2017
    In practical life how many times does one has to fail to reach to ... Mar 15, 2016
    How exactly did Edison do 1000 trials to invent a lightbulb? How ... Mar 18, 2015
    Who are some successful people who failed at their first try? Mar 8, 2014
    More results from www.quora.com
    I love to make Liberals Cry, and Whine.
    So, this is for them.
    GOD BLESS AMERICA - IN GOD WE TRUST !

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)

Default Yes, and the MEMO isn't gonna make you happy either.

Quote Originally Posted by pete311 View Post
    Public deserves to know if we are being protected or not. Isn't that the point of the memo release too?

petey. If the military didn't want us to know...why would anyone report it? You really are a piece of work...that doesn't really work, brain wise, or intelligence wise. Your hatred, and love for being a liberal jerk is SHOWING.
    I love to make Liberals Cry, and Whine.
    So, this is for them.
    GOD BLESS AMERICA - IN GOD WE TRUST !

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    368 Post(s)

Nope. There are things the public does NOT need to know. Lot easier to win that way.

Do you REALLY think if there wasn't already something in place that works you'd hear about something that doesn't? I assure you not.
    Last edited by Gunny; 02-01-2018 at 04:53 PM.
    “When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall, one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle.” Edumnd Burke

10. Thanks Elessar thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)

Anyone actually believe that all this technology works properly the first time?

This particular missile system has been around for a few years but it certainly isn't "old" and lots of "upgrades" are really new.
    This did give me a chuckle though because the irony is that right now we have a missile system that may or may not intercept an NK missile that may or may not hit the US or its allies. Seems fair, no?
    I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.
    Thomas Jefferson

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    368 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by CSM View Post
    Anyone actually believe that all this technology works properly the first time?

This particular missile system has been around for a few years but it certainly isn't "old" and lots of "upgrades" are really new.
    This did give me a chuckle though because the irony is that right now we have a missile system that may or may not intercept an NK missile that may or may not hit the US or its allies. Seems fair, no?
    It just irks me that without having a clue, the MSM can't wait to spill the beans to world that we failed.

I wonder if these arrogant chumps ever think THAT one through? If we fail, what becomes of their pampered little a$$es ...
    Last edited by Gunny; 02-01-2018 at 05:38 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)

There are certainly things out there protecting the public that they do not need to know about.

If the public knows ALL, most certainly potential enemies will know as well.
    I have lost my mind. If found, please give it a snack and return it?

"I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same of others"...John Wayne in "The Shootist"

A Deplorable!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gunny View Post
    It just irks me that without having a clue, the MSM can't wait to spill the beans to world that we failed.

I wonder if these rrogant chumps ever think THAT one through? If we fail, what becomes of their pampered little a$$es ...
    Of course you have a valid point. Remember, we recently had a CinC that told our enemies exactly what we were going to do, how we were going to do it and when. It's as crazy as thinking you can defeat ISIS by finding them jobs.
    I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.
    Thomas Jefferson

15. Thanks Gunny thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    368 Post(s)

Maybe we should start test firing our missiles across the bow of the N Korean peninsula .... "Maybe" they'll land in the Sea of Japan. Maybe.