Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gunny View Post
    I think it would still be the same thing. All due respects to Fauxnews, but the Packers would have been "packin'" it home after the Ice Bowl if they'd had instant replay back then .

I do agree with his assessment of the "times" though. For instance .... Tony Romo. If he had even made the team in the 60s -- a BIG "if" -- the first time Butkus hit his pansy a$$ he'd have been out for the rest of his one and only season. A LOT of today's receivers wouldn't have lasted long. And where would all the records be without "turf"?

I LOVED watching games in Dec in the mud. Matter of fact, I loved PLAYING in them Best way to destroy a game is for it to become popular with the public. Well, ruin anything for that matter.

I was surprised to find on youtube some clip about longest or baddest or meanest or whatever rivalries and the ones WE think are rivalvries fall behind teams like the Eagles, Giants and Browns who have been apparently player-hating longer than anyone thought. They just haven't been rivalries during our time.
    I still vividly recall sitting around the old black and white Zenith with my dad and two brothers watching the Ice Bowl 50 miles south of Green Bay. It was cold that day. I remember that dad had turned the gas oven on and left the door open in the kitchen to help out the old furnace!

I do agree with the December games in the mud. The '65 championship game in Green Bay over Cleveland truly was a classic. Browns the defending champs, snow and ice covered field that quickly turned to mud, Jim Brown's final game:

2. Thanks Gunny thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by FakeNewsSux View Post
    I still vividly recall sitting around the old black and white Zenith with my dad and two brothers watching the Ice Bowl 50 miles south of Green Bay. It was cold that day. I remember that dad had turned the gas oven on and left the door open in the kitchen to help out the old furnace!

I do agree with the December games in the mud. The '65 championship game in Green Bay over Cleveland truly was a classic. Browns the defending champs, snow and ice covered field that quickly turned to mud, Jim Brown's final game:
    I was ten years old. I remember that game too. Back then we ALL watched the Pack here in Wisconsin. The most faithful fans in football are Packer Backers. It's the only team in the NFL that the fans own the team.
    Last edited by High_Plains_Drifter; 08-25-2018 at 10:06 PM.

4. Thanks FakeNewsSux, Gunny thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

I was surprised to find on youtube some clip about longest or baddest or meanest or whatever rivalries and the ones WE think are rivalvries fall behind teams like the Eagles, Giants and Browns who have been apparently player-hating longer than anyone thought. They just haven't been rivalries during our time.
    Our greatest rivalry is with the Bears (which ranks 2nd in NFL championships with 9, behind Green Bay with 13) To give you an idea how deep the rivalry goes, I thought you might like to hear the theme song throughout Wisconsin every Bears weekend:

6. Thanks Black Diamond thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)

An EPIC Wisconsin tune... mentions the Packers...

Last edited by High_Plains_Drifter; 08-25-2018 at 09:28 PM.

8. Thanks FakeNewsSux thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by FakeNewsSux View Post
    Our greatest rivalry is with the Bears (which ranks 2nd in NFL championships with 9, behind Green Bay with 13) To give you an idea how deep the rivalry goes, I thought you might like to hear the theme song throughout Wisconsin every Bears weekend:
    There was a time when I would have negged your ass into oblivion.

10. Likes FakeNewsSux liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    368 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by High_Plains_Drifter View Post
    I was ten years old. I remember that game too. Back then we ALL watched the Pack here in Wisconsin. The most faithful fans in football are Packer Backers.
    Debatable. I for one don't get and might have gotten for a year or two when I was about 10 die-hard fans but they don't seem to be limited to any one team.

The thing I like about the Packers is the people and the city own the team. Jerry Jones would move the Cowboys to Tehran if he could make enough money off it. I have one Cowboys ball cap left from before Jones buying the team. I refuse to buy Cowboys merchandise because of Jones, and that's extended to NFL merchandise the past two seasons.

It annoyed(s) the crap out of me when owners move teams. The cities are dumb as f*ck about it too. Cleveland spent more money getting the Browns name and building a new stadium than had they given Modell what he wanted. Conversely, Modell got less from Baltimore than the Browns did in the end.

We didn't get to see any of those Northern Midwest games when I was a kid. Not to mention my dad didn't like pro football so we were lucky to see a game period. Then it was the local team wherever we were stationed.
    “When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall, one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle.” Edumnd Burke

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)

The thing I like about the Packers is the people and the city own the team.
    Yup... that's why they've always said that the most faithful fans of any football team are the Packer fans.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/christi.../#2efa0b9a19bd

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/...the-nfl#slide0

https://www.greenbaypressgazette.com...rent/89724630/

I would LIKE to watch Packer games, but I'm sticking to my guns. So long as this pissing on our flag and national anthem goes on, no NFL will be on my TV. As a veteran, and my brother being a veteran, and my Dad being a veteran, God rest their souls, and my son being a veteran, I just can't stomach the sons a bitches kneeling, fists in the air, etc. They can kiss my ass right where it's deep, dark and bitter. (My brother used to say that.)
    Last edited by High_Plains_Drifter; 08-26-2018 at 06:56 PM.