Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jimnyc View Post
    I'll have to side with her on this issue. I've owned at least 30 cats over the years. After having a few de-clawed I will never do so again. Watching the poor little buggers struggling to get around in pain for a few days, watching them attempt to use the claws that are no longer there... And I don't care what any professional says, you simply cannot allow a cat back into the wild again once you take it's only line of defense away.

Whether a dog or a cat, you know what you're getting into when you get one, or at least you should before taking on such a responsibility. Teach them, train them, or even bring them to obedience training if you can't get the job done yourself. But don't simply complain or toss an animal out when it only does what is instinctive to itself.
    I am a convert. I never had cats before we were married and she brought two of them along when we started.... we used to have five, now four... and I have no interest in causing them any pain.... furniture is just furniture. With four cats and two dogs, I basically live in a barn anyhow.... our home will never be on the "homes beautiful tour" so I really don't let the scratched up upholstery bother me anymore at all. We're comfortable.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by manfrommaine View Post
    I am a convert. I never had cats before we were married and she brought two of them along when we started.... we used to have five, now four... and I have no interest in causing them any pain.... furniture is just furniture. With four cats and two dogs, I basically live in a barn anyhow.... our home will never be on the "homes beautiful tour" so I really don't let the scratched up upholstery bother me anymore at all. We're comfortable.
    Well if you live in a flea-infested shithole then why bother?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

My cat didn't have much problem with the surgery and if she was in a lot of pain she did a good job hiding it. Was jumping up an off high counters, couches, ect. as soon as we brought her back home the day after the surgery. Seems to walk fine, climbs everything she used to except now she uses her back claws to snag hold of funiture and not the front ones. She isn't scratching carpet out anymore either.

I personally wouldn't have gotten her declawed but my parents said I had to or she goes. Never had much of an attachment to carpet and she's such a cute lil fur ball.
    Last edited by LiberalNation; 08-27-2007 at 12:44 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by glockmail View Post
    Well if you live in a flea-infested shithole then why bother?
    I don't. we treat all our animals for fleas regularly and have none around. the home is not a palace, certainly, but it is far from a shithole. I am quite happy with my 1812 federal with its five fireplaces, original wide pine floors, spiral staircase and ten foot ceilings.... and so are my dogs...and my cats are also happy being there and especially glad that I have cloth upholstered furniture! periodic reupholstering is just part of pet ownership.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

I don't. we treat all our animals for fleas regularly and have none around. the home is not a palace, certainly, but it is far from a shithole. I am quite happy with my 1812 federal with its five fireplaces, original wide pine floors, spiral staircase and ten foot ceilings.... and so are my dogs...and my cats are also happy being there and especially glad that I have cloth upholstered furniture! periodic reupholstering is just part of pet ownership.

So you live in a cold drafty shithole as well. Reminds me of "The Money Pit". You must be proud of yourself living in high cotton and all.

If my animals start trashing the house I deal with the cause instead of buying expensive bandaids. But that's just me.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

So you live in a cold drafty shithole as well. Reminds me of "The Money Pit". You must be proud of yourself living in high cotton and all.

If my animals start trashing the house I deal with the cause instead of buying expensive bandaids. But that's just me.
    not cold and drafty at all. totally new insulation and new energy efficient windows a few years back....

and I think I explained why I chose to deal with my cats in the way I did. The fact that you would chose a different approach from me is certainly not unexpected.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

and the only possible way it could ever even remotely resemble a shithole would be if you came to visit with your clan.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

not cold and drafty at all. totally new insulation and new energy efficient windows a few years back....

and I think I explained why I chose to deal with my cats in the way I did. The fact that you would chose a different approach from me is certainly not unexpected.
    As a conservative I expect my animals to behave as instructed and respect my space while you as a liberal choose to let them do the wild thing then throw money around to make repairs, never addressing the causation. Doesn't surpise me one bit.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

and the only possible way it could ever even remotely resemble a shithole would be if you came to visit with your clan.
    Didn't take you very long to attack my family.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

did you think I was referring to your family? gosh, I am sorry...

I meant your pets.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

did you think I was referring to your family? gosh, I am sorry...

I meant your pets.
    I see you won't accept responsibility for your actions as well. Whouda thunk that?

You are a liar as well.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

tough talk. why not keep it to politics...or in this case, cats and try to refrain from obsessive personal attacks on me and my house and my lifestyle?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

tough talk. why not keep it to politics...or in this case, cats and try to refrain from obsessive personal attacks on me and my house and my lifestyle?
    You're the one who brought my family into this, a clear violation of manly honor. Suddenly you’re complaining about me calling your obvious lack of responsibility into question. A liberal crossing the line of decency then playing the victim.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

and it's an interesting thing about foul odors...they do seem to spread. I can remember when I was young, my dad used to smoke unfiltered camels, and all of my clothing eventually had this odor of tabacco. It was not like I was a smoker at the time, it was just that I smelled like smoke. sort of the same thing as my household would experience if you came to visit with your....pets.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

You're the one who brought my family into this, a clear violation of manly honor. Suddenly you’re complaining about me calling your obvious lack of responsibility into question. A liberal crossing the line of decency then playing the victim.
    roflmfao! you talking about "manly honor" is like michael jackson talking about childcare.