Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)

Default California science fair project tying race, IQ sparks outcry

U.S.
    California science fair project tying race, IQ sparks outcry
    [Associated Press]
    Associated Press•February 10, 2018

SACRAMENTO, Calif. (AP) — A Northern California school district is investigating how a science project correlating low intelligence with racial groups was on full display at a science fair, where it drew outrage from some students, parents and staff.

The project by a Sacramento high school student enrolled in an elite magnet program, titled "Race and IQ," questioned whether certain races lack the intelligence for the program's academically challenging coursework.
    Related Searches
    Science Fair Project IdeasScience Buddies Science Fair ProjectsEasy Science Fair ProjectsScience Fair Projects For KidsScience Fair

The Sacramento Bee, which published the story Saturday, did not speak to the student at C.K. McClatchy High School and is not identifying the minor. The project was on view with others Monday as part of an annual science fair but was removed Wednesday after complaints.

Sacramento City Unified School District Superintendent Jorge Aguilar on Saturday released a video statement noting his own struggles as a minority and saying racially insensitive language will not be tolerated.

"Yes, we'll respect freedom of speech. But we will also uphold our duty to limit speech that is likely to cause disruption to our students." He said. "No student should ever be made to feel that their race has anything to do with their ability to succeed."

On Thursday, school Principal Peter Lambert sent an email to parents saying that the school is taking the incident seriously and implementing appropriate measures to provide an inclusive environment.

Some people outraged by the racially charged project say it points to the larger problem: the lack of racial and ethnic diversity in the school's elite Humanities and International Studies program.

The program, which was designed to promote cultural awareness and sensitivity, enrolls about 500 students. They include a dozen African American students, 80 Latino students and about 100 Asian American students, according to data provided by the district.

"I think that a lot of people, especially of color, are really hurt and upset by this," said Chrysanthe Vidal, an African-American senior who is in the program.

The student tested his race and intelligence hypothesis by having a handful of unidentified teens of various racial and ethnic backgrounds take an online intelligence test.

His report concluded that the lower average IQs "of blacks, Southeast Asians, and non-white Hispanics" means they were not as likely as "non-Hispanic whites and Northeast Asians" to get into the academically rigorous program. He said the test results justified the racial imbalance in the program.
    444 reactions
    5%70%25%
    Sign in to post a message.

Me
    Me
    yesterday
    It's not free speech, it's science!
    Cracker Jim
    Cracker Jim
    yesterday
    "respect freedom of speech. But we will also uphold our duty to limit speech "

Somethings gotta give.
    James B
    James B
    yesterday
    ""Yes, we'll respect freedom of speech. But we will also uphold our duty to limit speech that is likely to cause disruption to our students."
    good way to teach denial of fact. everybody gets a trophy.
    if the statistics prove it, denying it is simply a lie to make some people feel better.
    John
    John
    16 hours ago
    We believe in free speech. Unless we disagree with you. We believe in science. Unless we don't agree with it. Democrats are a special kind of stupid.
    Smarty5.56
    Smarty5.56
    23 hours ago
    "Yes, we'll respect freedom of speech. But we will also uphold our duty to limit speech that is likely to cause disruption to our students."

Don't like Truth much, do you?
    Rabid Rabbit
    Rabid Rabbit
    13 hours ago
    The Left are pro-science unless it's the kind that doesn't support their loony beliefs
    John
    John
    23 hours ago
    Hey, what a great suggestion, in the vein of social justice let's dumb down the advanced courses so that even the unqualified can participate. I guess the truth can hurt but i did not read anything suggesting there was no validity to the report, only that it might be racially insensitive. Let's hide facts because some may find them insensitive? Makes a lot of sense doesn't it? Instead of shooting the messenger shouldn't they be working towards resolving what may be an IQ discrepancy?
    Fr451-6
    Fr451-6
    23 hours ago
    Liberals want to have open minds and explore possibilities, as science teaches, unless it might go opposite of their "social opinion" in the matter. Hypocrites.
    Gary666
    Gary666
    20 hours ago
    If one were to show a correlation between skin color and skin cancer few people would bat an eye. But to even suggest that there is an even slight correlation between IQ and race and academic racial politics brings out the heavy guns. The interesting thing is Israel has the highest per-capita number of Nobel Prizes of any country and Eisenstein was a JEW.
    Ekim
    Ekim
    23 hours ago
    Name a single successful majority black city or country? Anyone? Bueller? Bueller?
    Robert
    Robert
    yesterday
    So Science doesn't count if it indicates non-politically correct information????
    davidh
    davidh
    yesterday
    Be careful folks. We don't want the truth exposed because this could be all the White man's fault for all the slavery for the past 20 years. All the diversity programs would be in jeopardy. Please no IQ checks.
    Dom
    Dom
    19 hours ago
    If I were to suggest that Dutch people are, on average, taller than Japanese people, that would be both uncontroversial, and easy to prove with a tape measure and a reasonable sample size. No one would dismiss the results as being a consequence of inaccuracies in my measurements. Note that this result would emphatically NOT mean that every Dutchman is taller than any Japanese person. It merely points out a difference in population means (the devil lives in the variance, not in the means). In fact, it would be rather surprising if ANY two non-fully interbreeding populations were absolutely identical with respect to any quantitative genetic trait such as height.

But if I were to provide data indicating that, say, the average Norwegian is more intelligent than the average Nigerian, I would apparently be engaging in “racism” of the most egregious sort, and those data would be dismissed out of hand. My “measurements” at least, if not my motives for even performing the study, would be called into question. Even though, as with height, this would not mean that every Norwegian is more intelligent than any Nigerian, such data would be anathema to scientists and laymen alike.

Should it be so? Are there certain realms of scientific inquiry that must remain “off-limits”? Is dislike of the potential result sufficient grounds to avoid even asking a question? I recognize that science can be misused in the service of a political agenda, and that “bias,” however subtle, is an ever-lurking threat to the discovery of objective truth. And I am certainly aware of what 'eugenics' accomplished in the early 20th century in the name of 'science.' But I still don’t see that as sufficient rationale to avoid asking certain questions at all.
    Hijo De Pancho Villa
    Hijo De Pancho Villa
    yesterday
    It is a well known and documented fact. Nothing new here.
    Thunder
    Thunder
    yesterday
    This was based on evidence from the test. Liberals cannot stand the Truth.
    IT IS A DISTRESS SIGNAL STUPID!
    IT IS A DISTRESS SIGNAL STUPID!
    14 hours ago
    Fortunately, science doesn't buckle under the pressure of political correctness...unless it's on Bill Nye the "Science" gouy and the subject is gender.
    Danny
    Danny
    yesterday
    Kind of like the moral of Cinderella. If the shoe fits, WEAR IT!!!!!
    Libssuk
    Libssuk
    16 hours ago
    And guess who is at the BOTTOM of the IQ list? One guess who that is.
    This is by no means the first such proof offered in the past several decades.
    Truth has no place in certain people's agenda. Which is so completely true of leftists, liberals, dems and
    other assorted types of worthless vermin.
    And yes, my presenting this thread topic and embracing truth --makes me a racist by the standards set by those ffing pieces of shit, that I so absolutely despise.. FFKK THEM..
    These groups are the vermin that are destroying this nation. A truth, a fact..--Tyr
    18 U.S. Code § 2381-Treason Whoever, owing allegiance to the United States, levies war against them or adheres to their enemies, giving them aid and comfort within the United States or elsewhere, is guilty of treason and shall suffer death, or shall be imprisoned not less than five years and fined under this title but not less than $10,000; and shall be incapable of holding any office under the United States.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    145 Post(s)

The project was junk and it's pretty clear here

"The student tested his race and intelligence hypothesis by having a handful of unidentified teens of various racial and ethnic backgrounds take an online intelligence test."

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    368 Post(s)

Stupid people REALLY hate it when it's pointed out to them
    “When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall, one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle.” Edumnd Burke