Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    201 Post(s)

Default Jim's 2018 Iditarod

Jim will be attending his first Iditarod here in a couple of weeks. Here's a write up in the local rag about it :

The Iditarod Trail Sled Dog Race will restart in Willow next month and follow the southern route for the first time since 2013, race officials confirmed Friday.

Typically, Iditarod teams travel the southern route in odd-numbered years and the northern one in even-numbered years, but low snow and poor trail conditions pushed the official race start north to Fairbanks in 2015 and 2017.

Much of the northern and southern Iditarod routes align, except for about a 300-mile stretch between Ophir and Kaltag. The southern trail snakes south through the Interior Alaska villages of Iditarod, Shageluk, Anvik, Grayling and Eagle Island.

"Everything's really good," Mark Nordman, Iditarod race director, said of trail conditions. "The cold snap really helped."

Crews have continued to fix up the trail over the past several weeks, removing downed trees and updating trail markers, Nordman said. Next week, a crew will work on the Dalzell Gorge, a notoriously perilous stretch of trail between Rainy Pass and the next checkpoint of Rohn.

The 2018 Iditarod will hold its ceremonial start in Anchorage March 3 and will officially start in Willow the next day.

If conditions allow, the Iditarod will also follow the southern route in 2019.

According to the Iditarod website, the southern route measures an estimated 998 miles, while the northern route measures 975 miles and the Fairbanks route 979 miles.

So on Sunday, March 4th, we'll be out on snowmachines at the Yentna checkpoint with a bonfire beside the Iditarod Trail cheering on the mushers and handing them a brewski when they go by.

Maybe I'll spike Jim's beer with something so he can be the first one in history to get run over by a dog sled team. I'll be sure to Go-Pro it in HD.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum

2. Thanks High_Plains_Drifter, LongTermGuy thanked this post
    Likes High_Plains_Drifter liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)

That looks like a great adventure, but not for the faint of heart!
    I have lost my mind. If found, please give it a snack and return it?

"I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same of others"...John Wayne in "The Shootist"

A Deplorable!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)

I'd love to go to Nome someday. Wyatt Earp and his woman Josephine lived up there for a little while back in the gold rush days, owned a saloon. But I'd also like to meet some of the "Bering Sea Gold" folks...

https://www.discovery.com/tv-shows/bering-sea-gold/

5. Likes LongTermGuy liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by High_Plains_Drifter View Post
    I'd love to go to Nome someday. Wyatt Earp and his woman Josephine lived up there for a little while back in the gold rush days, owned a saloon. But I'd also like to meet some of the "Bering Sea Gold" folks...

https://www.discovery.com/tv-shows/bering-sea-gold/
    NT tends to tempt and tease non-city folk!
    I have lost my mind. If found, please give it a snack and return it?

"I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same of others"...John Wayne in "The Shootist"

A Deplorable!

7. Likes LongTermGuy liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    368 Post(s)

I'd feel sorry for NT but he asked for it

Don't be surprised if we hear Jim "fell out" of the sled about halfway ...
    “When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall, one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle.” Edumnd Burke

9. Likes Taco Junkie, LongTermGuy liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by NightTrain View Post
    Jim will be attending his first Iditarod here in a couple of weeks. Here's a write up in the local rag about it :

So on Sunday, March 4th, we'll be out on snowmachines at the Yentna checkpoint with a bonfire beside the Iditarod Trail cheering on the mushers and handing them a brewski when they go by.

Maybe I'll spike Jim's beer with something so he can be the first one in history to get run over by a dog sled team. I'll be sure to Go-Pro it in HD.
    Really looking forward to seeing you and Sharon again! And then this time, snow ice and "snowmobiles"! Bears will be hibernating still, I hope, so maybe getting eaten will be one less worry this time.

I'll just be in heaven, sitting back with some good Alaskan beer, and watching some of my favorite dogs sled on by for awhile. Just chilling and watching will be good enough there for me.

Of course what I'm really looking forward to is doing some good riding. A pocketful of gas money and we're good to go I hope!!

Quote Originally Posted by Gunny View Post

Nah, I go into panic and anxiety mode most likely, so I'll be kinda subdued and laid back. I don't always travel well. But with some alcohol, well now that changes everything. Rick and Sharon will be my brother and sister within a few hours.
    “You know the world is going crazy when the best rapper is a white guy, the best golfer is a black guy, the tallest guy in the NBA is Chinese, the Swiss hold the America's Cup, France is accusing the U.S. of arrogance, Germany doesn't want to go to war, and the three most powerful men in America are named "Bush", "Dick", and "Colin." Need I say more?” - Chris Rock

11. Thanks Gunny, Kathianne, Taco Junkie, LongTermGuy thanked this post
    Likes Kathianne liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    368 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jimnyc View Post
    Really looking forward to seeing you and Sharon again! And then this time, snow ice and "snowmobiles"! Bears will be hibernating still, I hope, so maybe getting eaten will be one less worry this time.

I'll just be in heaven, sitting back with some good Alaskan beer, and watching some of my favorite dogs sled on by for awhile. Just chilling and watching will be good enough there for me.

Of course what I'm really looking forward to is doing some good riding. A pocketful of gas money and we're good to go I hope!!

Nah, I go into panic and anxiety mode most likely, so I'll be kinda subdued and laid back. I don't always travel well. But with some alcohol, well now that changes everything. Rick and Sharon will be my brother and sister within a few hours.
    Just what you need in freezing weather ... some booze. I tend to disagree with the theory that you'll freeze quicker with alcohol in your blood. Everything could be frozen outside and my Jack would be just the right temp

You can test the theory
    “When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall, one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle.” Edumnd Burke

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

Just what you need in freezing weather ... some booze. I tend to disagree with the theory that you'll freeze quicker with alcohol in your blood. Everything could be frozen outside and my Jack would be just the right temp

You can test the theory
    Oh I know, I've tested that theory before! And while it may not truly warm you, it sure does feel that way, and that's good enough for me!

And dropping the beer next to me in some snow - nothing better than when your beer is literally ice cold!
    “You know the world is going crazy when the best rapper is a white guy, the best golfer is a black guy, the tallest guy in the NBA is Chinese, the Swiss hold the America's Cup, France is accusing the U.S. of arrogance, Germany doesn't want to go to war, and the three most powerful men in America are named "Bush", "Dick", and "Colin." Need I say more?” - Chris Rock

14. Thanks Gunny, LongTermGuy thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    181 Post(s)

I don't think Jim is doing any dog sledding. Just observing.
    After the game, the king and the pawn go into the same box - Author unknown

“Unfortunately, the truth is now whatever the media say it is”
    -Abbey

16. Thanks Gunny, LongTermGuy thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Abbey View Post
    I don't think Jim is doing any dog sledding. Just observing.
    Oh no, no sled for me! I'd rather let the doggies hop in the warm car with me than sled behind them.

18. Thanks Abbey Marie, Kathianne thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)

I wouldn't mix many barley pops with a modern snowmobile either, 'cause most of them are faster'n shit. Best not to operate one buzzed probably.

My nephew in MT has a couple Polaris mountain machines, which have a much longer track than like the usual sled around here, and these things are bad ass. I think they're both 800's, but both have OVER a hundred frickin' horse power, and will do well over 100 mph. Wouldn't want to ride one of those things lit. I could probably guarantee you I'd crash it...

The red and black one is his older one, which is still a newer sled, and the black and white one is his new sled... the black and white one has more horse power than the other one. Might even be a 900 or 1,000cc, not sure.

Last edited by High_Plains_Drifter; 02-12-2018 at 09:49 PM.

20. Thanks LongTermGuy thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)

Default Jim....

Glad to see you are having a good time...on a snowmobile, or in a car.

Being on a sled, and looking at the BACK ENDS of dog's...is for other Dogs!!!
    I love to make Liberals Cry, and Whine.
    So, this is for them.
    GOD BLESS AMERICA - IN GOD WE TRUST !