Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    368 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by High_Plains_Drifter View Post
    I only made SSgt sewn on. I had a line number for TSgt, which is the HARDEST stripe to get in the AF, but this Captain red lined it because I was getting out. I didn't have the proper attitude near the end, or so he figured. The AF had pulled me off the flight line because of medical reasons, and they gave me a list of jobs I could cross train into, Photography being one of them, and I was into photography too, and I got a recommendation by my AF Thunderbirds photographer I knew from Nellis even, but they shuffled me off into a job that was being phased out of the military and handed over to civilians, Operational Training Detachment, so yeah, I had a shitty attitude.

Still... looking back... I should have fought, even though I know sometimes that amounts to about as much as slamming your head against a brick wall when it comes to the military. We ARE XB3... "THROW AWAY."
    Nothing to fight. The services are told not to give you a promotion if you are close to EAS or not qualified to reenlist. In the Corps, you have to agree to extend or reenlist to have a minimum of 2 years left after promotion or no stripe. I had to pull my name off the 1stSgt's list to retire.
    “When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall, one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle.” Edumnd Burke

2. Thanks High_Plains_Drifter thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gunny View Post
    Nothing to fight. The services are told not to give you a promotion if you are close to EAS or not qualified to reenlist. In the Corps, you have to agree to extend or reenlist to have a minimum of 2 years left after promotion or no stripe. I had to pull my name off the 1stSgt's list to retire.
    I don't think they'd have let me reinlist either, even though I had made all my stripes in minimum time, and had Outstanding Unit and Presidential Commendation Citations, Good Conduct with a cluster, etc... funny how the military is so willing to just throw away someone that they spent a lot of time and money on training. I'm still pissed, but at the system, not the AF. I still love the AF... go figure... and I don't think my time left in service was the issue for holding back my TSgt stripe. I EARNED that fucker, and it's a HARD stripe to get in AF... I wanted to sew that on. Had they let me sew that on, I would have NO WAY let them shuffle me off into another dead end. I'd have gone to the base adjutants office and asked for help, I'd have reinlisted for sure. But, hind sight is always 20-20. I've had all these years to think about it. Back then I was just worn out, didn't know any better.
    Last edited by High_Plains_Drifter; 02-16-2018 at 10:11 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    368 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by High_Plains_Drifter View Post
    I don't think they'd have let me reinlist either, even though I had made all my stripes in minimum time, and had Outstanding Unit and Presidential Commendation Citations, Good Conduct with a cluster, etc... funny how the military is so willing to just throw away someone that they spent a lot of time and money on training. I'm still pissed, but at the system, not the AF. I still love the AF... go figure... and I don't think my time left in service was the issue for holding back my TSgt stripe. I EARNED that fucker, and it's a HARD stripe to get in AF... I wanted to sew that on. Had they let me sew that on, I would have NO WAY let them shuffle me off into another dead end. I'd have gone to the base adjutants office and asked for help, I'd have reinlisted for sure. But, hind sight is always 20-20. I've had all these years to think about it. Back then I was just worn out, didn't know any better.
    The military is a machine. A part breaks, it's discarded and replaced. That's how it is and always has been.

I've made plenty of decisions i can second guess, but there's just no point in it anymore. Everything is what it is right now. If we could go back and do it all over again, I'd start around 15. And I don't know that I'd join the military the way it is now. Too PC and too many fags.
    “When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall, one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle.” Edumnd Burke

5. Likes High_Plains_Drifter liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gunny View Post
    The military is a machine. A part breaks, it's discarded and replaced. That's how it is and always has been.

I've made plenty of decisions i can second guess, but there's just no point in it anymore. Everything is what it is right now. If we could go back and do it all over again, I'd start around 15. And I don't know that I'd join the military the way it is now. Too PC and too many fags.
    Yep... like I say... were "GI's"... government issue... classified as XB3, THROW AWAY.

Enlist today? Hell no.
    Last edited by High_Plains_Drifter; 02-16-2018 at 10:46 PM.