Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    368 Post(s)

Default Turkish Army Hit Village In Syria’s Afrin With Suspected Gas: Kurdish YPG, Observator

February 16, 2018
    BEIRUT (Reuters) – Syrian Kurdish forces and a monitoring group said the Turkish military carried out a suspected gas attack that wounded six people in Syria’s Afrin region on Friday.
    There was no immediate comment from the Turkish military, which has previously denied accusations of hitting civilians in its Afrin operation.
    Birusk Hasaka, a spokesman for the Kurdish YPG militia in Afrin, told Reuters that Turkish bombardment hit a village in the northwest of the region, near the Turkish border. He said it caused six people to suffer breathing problems and other symptoms indicative of a gas attack.
    Turkey launched an air and ground offensive last month on the Afrin region, opening a new front in the multi-sided Syrian war to target Kurdish fighters in northern Syria.
    The Syrian Observatory for Human Rights told Reuters that Turkish forces and their Syrian insurgent allies hit the village on Friday with shells. The Britain-based war monitoring group said medical sources in Afrin reported that six people in the attack suffered breathing difficulties and dilated pupils, indicating a suspected gas attack.
    Syrian state news agency SANA, citing a doctor in a Afrin hospital, said Turkish shelling of the village caused choking in six people.
    On Feb. 6, the United Nations called for an immediate humanitarian ceasefire in Syria.
    Since the onset of the conflict in 2011, the YPG and its allies have set up three autonomous cantons in the north, including Afrin. Their sphere of influence expanded as they seized territory from Islamic State with U.S. help, though Washington opposes their autonomy plans as does the Syrian government.
    U.S. support for Kurdish-led forces in Syria has infuriated Ankara, which views them as a security threat along its frontier. Turkey sees the YPG as terrorists and an extension of the outlawed Kurdistan Workers Party (PKK) that has waged a three-decade insurgency on Turkish soil.
    (Reporting by Ellen Francis in Beirut and Rodi Said in northern Syria; Additional reporting by Daren Butler in Istanbul; Editing by Toni Reinhold)
    http://www.oann.com/turkish-army-hit...g-observatory/

Seems to me Turkey is the one the UN should be all over in this war. It's conducting its own private war of annihilation under the cover of a larger war.
    “When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall, one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle.” Edumnd Burke

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gunny View Post

Seems to me Turkey is the one the UN should be all over in this war. It's conducting its own private war of annihilation under the cover of a larger war.
    Yeah, the Wall Street Journal today said Turkey and the U.S. are nearly at war --- we are on opposite sides in the several-sided Syrian War at this point.

Which would be quite weird, given Turkey is in NATO. THAT was a big mistake.

And now American soldiers, a hundred strong, are fighting apparently on their own against Syrian Assad soldiers. In "self-defense," okay, good, but I guess I don't believe a word of it. We're at war in Syria, is my opinion.

Well, the Mideast is blowing up, maybe, finally.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gunny View Post

That place is so confused and up-fucked.

Turkey could be good, but they loathe the Kurds.

Damn tribal and religious war as in all of the Middle East.
    I have lost my mind. If found, please give it a snack and return it?

"I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same of others"...John Wayne in "The Shootist"

A Deplorable!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    368 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mundame View Post
    Yeah, the Wall Street Journal today said Turkey and the U.S. are nearly at war --- we are on opposite sides in the several-sided Syrian War at this point.

Which would be quite weird, given Turkey is in NATO. THAT was a big mistake.

And now American soldiers, a hundred strong, are fighting apparently on their own against Syrian Assad soldiers. In "self-defense," okay, good, but I guess I don't believe a word of it. We're at war in Syria, is my opinion.

Well, the Mideast is blowing up, maybe, finally.
    Not an issue with me. I hate Turks. Call me racist, religionist, scumbagist, theystinkliterallyist ... I hate them. Sign me up. I've owed them an ass-kicking since 1962 and every Marine's got one good war left in him.

The fact is, in that little "skirmish", anywhere from 50-100 Russians were killed by Americans/American-supported factions. The Russians are down-playing it because they are down-playing their presence and role.

BUT ... http://www.jpost.com/Middle-East/Sou...wounded-542810
    “When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall, one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle.” Edumnd Burke