Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)

Default Flag Raising On Iwo Jima,73 YEARS AGO THIS MORN....

Flag Raising On Iwo Jima
    Photograph by Joe Rosenthal

The picture delivered the message that Americans wanted to hear.
    Hal Buell, AP Photo Editor

Flag Raising on Iwo Jima

Joe Rosenthal

It is but a speck of an island 760 miles south of Tokyo, a volcanic pile that blocked the Allies’ march toward Japan. The Americans needed Iwo Jima as an air base, but the Japanese had dug in. U.S. troops landed on February 19, 1945, beginning a month of fighting that claimed the lives of 6,800 Americans and 21,000 Japanese. On the fifth day of battle, the Marines captured Mount *Suribachi. An American flag was quickly raised, but a commander called for a bigger one, in part to inspire his men and demoralize his opponents. Associated Press photographer Joe Rosenthal lugged his bulky Speed Graphic camera to the top, and as five Marines and a Navy corpsman prepared to hoist the Stars and Stripes, Rosenthal stepped back to get a better frame—and almost missed the shot. “The sky was overcast,” he later wrote of what has become one of the most recognizable images of war. “The wind just whipped the flag out over the heads of the group, and at their feet the disrupted terrain and the broken stalks of the shrubbery exemplified the turbulence of war.” Two days later Rosenthal’s photo was splashed on front pages across the U.S., where it was quickly embraced as a symbol of unity in the long-fought war. The picture, which earned Rosenthal a Pulitzer Prize, so resonated that it was made into a postage stamp and cast as a 100-ton bronze memorial.
    NOT ONLY A HISTORIC FACT BUT ALSO ONE OF THE TOP REPRESENTATION OF WHAT HEROISM IS!!!
    The entire world must bear witness to the MAGNIFICENT bravery, courage, fortitude and heroism of those men and all of our armed forces during WW2..-TYR
    18 U.S. Code § 2381-Treason Whoever, owing allegiance to the United States, levies war against them or adheres to their enemies, giving them aid and comfort within the United States or elsewhere, is guilty of treason and shall suffer death, or shall be imprisoned not less than five years and fined under this title but not less than $10,000; and shall be incapable of holding any office under the United States.

2. Thanks Gunny, LongTermGuy, FakeNewsSux thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

I found out 8 years after he died that my uncle, Max Kreamer, was in the Marine Corps and fought on this hellish rock in the middle of the Pacific. The only Uncle Max that I ever knew was a skilled woodworker/construction worker that built our family's bathroom and my little sisters favorite miniature play kitchen cabinet. A better crew cut, sense of humor and huge laugh I had never known to be possessed by anyone. I miss you Uncle Max, thank you for your service and Semper Fi

4. Thanks Taco Junkie, Tyr-Ziu Saxnot thanked this post
    Likes Elessar, Tyr-Ziu Saxnot liked this post