Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    369 Post(s)

Default U.N. Votes To Approve Ceasefire In Syria As Bombings Continue In Ghouta

February 24, 2018

OAN Newsroom

The United Nations unanimously votes to approve a 30-day ceasefire across Syria, as the death toll in Eastern Ghouta climbs to more than 500 people.
    U.N. Ambassador Nikki Haley made the announcement today, saying the U.N. Security Council finally took a step toward addressing the devastating levels of human suffering taking place in the rebel-held area.
    Western envoys and diplomats have since expressed skepticism over whether Syria’s regime will indubitably end their brutal assault on the region.
    While this resolution should have happened earlier, Haley said the goal now is to push the Assad-regime to comply with the measure.
    http://www.oann.com/u-n-votes-to-app...nue-in-ghouta/

Let's be real here. Haley saying it's to force Assad to comply is NOT addressing the elephant in the room. This is the UN trying to flex its muscle against Putin. If he makes any attempt at all to comply it won;t be much nor last long. From his POV, I completely understand. There's no "time out" in war.
    “When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall, one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle.” Edumnd Burke

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

They are winning. We are losing. So far, same old, same old.

Worrying about our actually fighting Russians themselves: can't let that go on. One of the papers I read said that was what went on with the 100 Americans. We won, they lost in that battle, but ...... they won't like that in Moscow.

An awfully lot of people, incl. my husband, thinks we don't belong in Syria.

I sort of understand about proxy wars and how they are at least less bad -- for us -- than Russia and America fighting in, you know, Kankakee, Illinois.
    Last edited by mundame; 02-24-2018 at 10:38 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    369 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mundame View Post
    They are winning. We are losing. So far, same old, same old.

Worrying about our actually fighting Russians themselves: can't let that go on. One of the papers I read said that was what went on with the 100 Americans. We won, they lost in that battle, but ...... they won't like that in Moscow.

An awfully lot of people, incl. my husband, thinks we don't belong in Syria.

I sort of understand about proxy wars and how they are at least less bad -- for us -- than Russia and America fighting in, you know, Kankakee, Illinois.
    We aren't losing. We aren't really doing anything but vacillating. Redundant, huh? NOW would be a better than good time for us to pull out before we DO get sucked in.

Our only interest in Syria has been the usual do-gooder crap trying to tell others how to live. It's none of our business. We are there to eradicate ISIS as part of a coalition to eradicate ISIS. If they want to get on with THAT, fine. Otherwise let the Iranians and Syrians and Russians kill each other. We SHOULD find something better to do.

If we're going to fight a war with Russia, lets make it over something worth fighting for. We claim to want to fight for the freedom of all these people while ours are being stolen from us here at home. Sounds like a game of smoke and mirrors to me.
    “When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall, one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle.” Edumnd Burke