Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    368 Post(s)

Default 'Conservative' writer George Will smears Billy Graham

I was profoundly disappointed to learn that National Review had published George Will’s ugly attack on evangelist Billy Graham just days after America’s pastor died.
    “Billy Graham: Neither Prophet nor Theologian,” the conservative publication’s headline declared.
    Tired of Facebook blocking conservative content? Click here for a free subscription to Todd’s weekly newsletter! It’s a must-read for patriots!
    I would expect to read such anti-Christian mockery in the pages of The New York Times and Washington Post, but not National Review. My, how times have changed.
    “Prophets take adversarial stances toward their times, as did the 20th century’s two greatest religious leaders, the Rev. Martin Luther King Jr. and Pope John Paul II. Graham did not. Partly for that reason, his country showered him with honors,” the self-described atheist wrote.
    Will went on to describe Graham as an “entrepreneurial evangelical who consciously emulated masters of secular communication.”
    He also derided those who walked the aisle to accept Jesus Christ as their Lord at Graham’s crusade meetings.
    “His audiences were exhorted to make a ‘decision’ for Christ, but a moment of volition might be (in theologian Dietrich Bonhoeffer’s phrase) an exercise in ‘cheap grace.’ Graham’s preaching, to large rallies and broadcast audiences, gave comfort to many people and probably improved some,” Will wrote.
    Robert Jeffress, the pastor of the First Baptist Church in Dallas and a spiritual advisor to President Trump, delivered a blunt rebuke of the so-called conservative writer.
    “George Will’s article reveals that he is neither a conservative nor a Christian,” Jeffress told the Todd Starnes Radio Show.
    Some of the nation’s leading Christian leaders were also quick to condemn Will’s ugly screed.
    “George Will’s snide and spiritually clueless criticisms of the incomparable Billy Graham reveal far more about Will’s ignorance and hostility to the spiritual than he perhaps intended,” Southern Evangelical Seminary President Richard Land said.
    “When I read Will’s column the image that came to mind was of an ignorant Pekingese yapping at the heels of a spiritual Great Dane,” the noted seminary president remarked.
    Of Graham’s theology, Will referenced an off-hand question he answered regarding his belief in miracles.
    “Billy Graham answered: Yes, Jesus performed some and there are ‘many miracles around us today, including television and airplanes.’ Graham was no theologian,” Will wrote.
    Emir Caner, the president of Truett McConnell University in Georgia, disputed Will’s assertion.
    “Graham was a solid theologian, standing for the inerrancy of Scripture, the exclusivity of salvation in Jesus Christ and the fundamentals of the faith,” Caner told me.
    Will also brought up an infamous Oval Office conversation the evangelist had with President Richard Nixon regarding Jews in the media.
    “One can reasonably acquit Graham of anti-Semitism only by convicting him of toadying,” Will wrote.
    Caner called that Will’s greatest misstep in the hit piece – feeding the liberal media’s narrative that Graham was an anti-Semite.
    “Will never mentions Graham’s apology years later and the Jewish community’s acceptance of the apology. Will never mentioned how Graham visited the newly formed state of Israel in 1960 when such a visit was unpopular in many Evangelical circles. Will never mentioned that it was Graham who personally brought the plight of Soviet Jews to the attention of President Nixon,” Caner said.
    In spite of the shameful smear, I doubt Billy Graham would’ve been all that bothered.
    I reckon he would’ve smiled at George Will and reminded him that we are all sinners and that God loves him and wants to have a relationship with him.
    Todd Starnes is host of Fox News & Commentary. His latest book is “The Deplorables’ Guide to Making America Great Again.” Follow him on Twitter @ToddStarnes and find him on Facebook.
    http://www.foxnews.com/opinion/2018/...ly-graham.html

Guess we won't have to save a space at the table for this dude (Will) in the afterlife. Knocking Billy Graham is bad enough, but slamming him after he's passed on? Nothing like asking for it ...
    “When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall, one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle.” Edumnd Burke

2. Thanks aboutime, Russ, Black Diamond thanked this post
    Likes jimnyc liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)

Wow, George Will is pathetic. Belittling Billy Graham and everything he stood for, right after the man passed away? That is despicable.

What did Billy Graham do with his life? Preached the gospel, counseled world leaders, (I believe) he saved thousands of souls, maybe hundreds of thousands. And he lived a life of self-sacrifice and service.

What is George Will doing with this life? He wrote a lot of columns. Mostly he basically complained about the way the world is. And now he is slowly fading away, and he sounds like a bitter man.

I think that Billy Graham's current situation is way, way better than George Will's future situation.
    Ecclesiastes 10:2 - A wise man's heart directs him to the right, but a foolish man's heart directs him to the left.
    Wise men don't need advice, and fools won't take it - Ben Franklin
    "It's not how you start, it's how you finish."

4. Thanks Gunny, Black Diamond, Abbey Marie thanked this post
    Likes Elessar, Abbey Marie liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    368 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Russ View Post
    Wow, George Will is pathetic. Belittling Billy Graham and everything he stood for, right after the man passed away? That is despicable.

What did Billy Graham do with his life? Preached the gospel, counseled world leaders, (I believe) he saved thousands of souls, maybe hundreds of thousands. And he lived a life of self-sacrifice and service.

What is George Will doing with this life? He wrote a lot of columns. Mostly he basically complained about the way the world is. And now he is slowly fading away, and he sounds like a bitter man.

I think that Billy Graham's current situation is way, way better than George Will's future situation.
    I don't recall missing a Billy Graham Crusade when I was kid. DEFINITELY not at my grandparents. Earth being invaded by little green men was more likely My grandmother was one of these old Texas, Southern ladies that would sit there with her Bible in her lap in case she needed to look something up .

I think disrespecting him is despicable.

Trivia tidbit: "Superstar" Billy Graham (Wayne Coleman) the pro wrestler was tent-revival evangelist before he became a pro wrestler. He took his ring name from the Reverend Billy Graham.
    “When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall, one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle.” Edumnd Burke

6. Thanks Black Diamond, Russ, Abbey Marie thanked this post
    Likes Abbey Marie liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)

Default Yes Gunny

Quote Originally Posted by Gunny View Post
    I don't recall missing a Billy Graham Crusade when I was kid. DEFINITELY not at my grandparents. Earth being invaded by little green men was more likely My grandmother was one of these old Texas, Southern ladies that would sit there with her Bible in her lap in case she needed to look something up .

I think disrespecting him is despicable.

Trivia tidbit: "Superstar" Billy Graham (Wayne Coleman) the pro wrestler was tent-revival evangelist before he became a pro wrestler. He took his ring name from the Reverend Billy Graham.
    Us too Gunny. I remember, after we got our first tv. Black and white, small screen. We watched Billy Graham every Saturday evening. Our whole family, together in the living room. My Mother and Father got all of us to Sing with GEORGE BEVERLY SHEA. Deep baritone.
    I can still hear him now. Really great memories. Even as a kid.
    Last edited by aboutime; 02-26-2018 at 09:00 PM.
    I love to make Liberals Cry, and Whine.
    So, this is for them.
    GOD BLESS AMERICA - IN GOD WE TRUST !

8. Thanks Black Diamond, Gunny, Russ, Abbey Marie thanked this post
    Likes Abbey Marie liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    368 Post(s)

How is George Will a "conservative"? For one thing, he's atheist. Another is, he's got no manners. Another is disrespecting the deceased.

The atheist part I figure is his business. He has my permission to keep it to himself. The other two are kind of offensive and I am irreverent as it gets. So I usually just practice what I preach and keep my commentary to myself. Mostly

10. Thanks Abbey Marie thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)

ALL these "talking heads" like Will make me sick. I don't listen to ANY of them.

When I do listen to news in TV, as soon as they say, "now let's bring on our panel for their reaction," or something of the sort, I MUTE the tv, or even turn the channel. It's nothing more than OPINION, because if you listen to them, almost universally they will all start by saying "LOOK," (which I just totally do not get... do you want me to LOOK, LOOK at what... don't you mean LISTEN?), which is why it appears to me they've ALL been cast from the SAME MOLD, but the very next thing they say is, "I THINK," and that's what I don't want to hear, I don't NEED to hear, because I already listened to the news story and don't need to listen to someone else's OPINION on what I just heard. I'm smart enough to form my OWN opinion, thank you, and until they have ME on to give THEM MY OPINION, I sure the hell don't need to hear THEIR'S.
    Last edited by High_Plains_Drifter; 02-27-2018 at 10:22 AM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    181 Post(s)

George Will is showing himself to be an anti-Bible bigot.

I'm glad Billy Graham wasn't a Theologian.
    IMO, the more academically you approach religion, the drier your faith becomes, until it resembles a dead leaf blowing around on the ground in winter.

God save us from people with doctorates in Theology.
    After the game, the king and the pawn go into the same box - Author unknown

“Unfortunately, the truth is now whatever the media say it is”
    -Abbey

13. Thanks Gunny, Black Diamond thanked this post
    Likes Russ liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)

Default George Will....

Deserves no attention here.
    I love to make Liberals Cry, and Whine.
    So, this is for them.
    GOD BLESS AMERICA - IN GOD WE TRUST !

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    368 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by aboutime View Post
    Deserves no attention here.
    Was kind of a 2fer. No one mentioned Billy Graham's passing. Figure he deserves at least a thread. I always kinda thought Billy Graham was a role model. George Will probably thinks BLM NFL players are.

16. Thanks aboutime, Black Diamond, Abbey Marie thanked this post