Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)

Default Outboard elecric motors. Batteries. Your personal experience.

There is a Russian proverb: prepare sledges in summer and a cart in winter. (Thatch your roof before the rain starts.)
    So, it's time to start preparing for the upcoming fishing season. My inflatable boat is equipped with 2 engines - 2-stroke 3 h/p Yamaha and Water-snake 24 lb for local maneuvering. The latter requires a battery with a deep cycle. I'm looking at the American model Deka DC27 DT 105 a / h. I hope this potential will suit my needs.
    Has anyone had a personal experience in using this battery and what is your impression?

Indifferent alike to praise or blame
    Give heed, O Muse, but to the voice Divine
    Fearing not injury, nor seeking fame,
    Nor casting pearls to swine.
    (A.Pushkin)

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)

Against my better judgement and suppressing the smart ass comments that initially come to mind....

I have three on my boat. Two are starters for the twin engines and the third is for "housekeeping". The housekeeping battery powers the electronics such as chart plotter and radar as well as short term supply for refrigerator and stuff.

All three are charged when engines are running or by the generator when it is running. They hold up pretty well and shelf life is reasonable for the amount of use they get.
    I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.
    Thomas Jefferson

3. Thanks Gunny, Balu thanked this post
    Likes High_Plains_Drifter liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by CSM View Post
    Against my better judgement and suppressing the smart ass comments that initially come to mind....

I have three on my boat. Two are starters for the twin engines and the third is for "housekeeping". The housekeeping battery powers the electronics such as chart plotter and radar as well as short term supply for refrigerator and stuff.

All three are charged when engines are running or by the generator when it is running. They hold up pretty well and shelf life is reasonable for the amount of use they get.
    Sounds like you have yourself a pretty nice boat there, Sarge... I've been looking for a little flat bottom 14" jon boat, something that will maneuver around in the shallows all along the Wisconsin River here, that's where all the monster Blue Gills and Crappies are, and bass. I've never owned a boat in my life though otherwise, but my Dad always had a boat.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    369 Post(s)

“When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall, one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle.” Edumnd Burke

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by High_Plains_Drifter View Post
    Sounds like you have yourself a pretty nice boat there, Sarge... I've been looking for a little flat bottom 14" jon boat, something that will maneuver around in the shallows all along the Wisconsin River here, that's where all the monster Blue Gills and Crappies are, and bass. I've never owned a boat in my life though otherwise, but my Dad always had a boat.
    Actually, I have two. One is my 42' Carver Montego on which I spend most summer weekends either cruising the coast or just relaxing. The other is a 14' Zodiac with a 50 hp Merc 4 stoke which I use for fishing and goofing off on some of the larger lakes in New Hampshire. I once owned a 14' aluminum for fishing but it was stolen. Got the Zodiac complete with electronics and trailer dirt cheap from a friend. The Zodiac is not ideal but it was cheap.
    I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.
    Thomas Jefferson

7. Thanks High_Plains_Drifter thanked this post
    Likes Taco Junkie liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)

Actually, I have two. One is my 42' Carver Montego on which I spend most summer weekends either cruising the coast or just relaxing. The other is a 14' Zodiac with a 50 hp Merc 4 stoke which I use for fishing and goofing off on some of the larger lakes in New Hampshire. I once owned a 14' aluminum for fishing but it was stolen. Got the Zodiac complete with electronics and trailer dirt cheap from a friend. The Zodiac is not ideal but it was cheap.
    Holy CRAP... you could dang near live on that.

I couldn't count the times I've looked at nice boats, large boats, yachts, and thought, I could sell out and buy that and live on it. Birth it somewhere on the east coast, head it north in the summer and south in the winter.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    369 Post(s)

Damn Zoomie. You just addressed a Sergeant Major as Sarge?
    “When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall, one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle.” Edumnd Burke

10. Thanks Elessar, Taco Junkie thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gunny View Post
    yeah, I let that slide. It's my kind, forgiving, compassionate side....heh.
    Thomas Jefferson

12. Thanks Gunny, Black Diamond thanked this post
    Likes Elessar, Taco Junkie liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)

Holy CRAP... you could dang near live on that.

I couldn't count the times I've looked at nice boats, large boats, yachts, and thought, I could sell out and buy that and live on it. Birth it somewhere on the east coast, head it north in the summer and south in the winter.
    Thought about living on it at one time. I have too much stuff that I am not willing to give up. Besides, I may want to mount a couple of torpedo tubes and .50 cals on it so need room for ammo storage and the like.
    Thomas Jefferson

14. Thanks Gunny thanked this post
    Likes High_Plains_Drifter, Taco Junkie liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)

I'm very happy for you. But ... we are in different conditions. I'm talking about an inflatable boat with a length of 3200 mm, which will be transported to lakes, rivers or reservoirs of the Volga in a jeep-luggage compartment. The distances to be covered are short, not exceeding in radius 5-10 km. a day. The electric motor is necessary for local maneuvering when searching for pits, pins and snags - favorite places for pike and perch.
    Fishing usually lasts for 2-3 days and the possibility of charging batteries on the wild shore is very limited. As a result, at the end the battery remains in the semi or full discharged condition, totally for a long time. So the question is how well it tolerates such conditions.
    Last edited by Balu; 02-28-2018 at 10:11 AM.
    (A.Pushkin)

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gunny View Post
    Yeah we weren't required to spell it all out like other branches are. We even just called our First Shirt, Sarge. We'd call our CMSgt, Chief.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Balu View Post
    I'm very happy for you. But ... we are in different conditions. I'm talking about an inflatable boat with a length of 3200 mm, which will be transported to lakes, rivers or reservoirs of the Volga in a jeep-luggage compartment. The distances to be covered are short, not exceeding in radius 5-10 km. a day. The electric motor is necessary for local maneuvering when searching for pits, pins and snags - favorite places for pike and perch.
    Fishing usually lasts for 2-3 days and the possibility of charging batteries on the wild shore is very limited. As a result, at the end the battery remains in the semi or full discharged condition, totally for a long time. So the question is how well it tolerates such conditions.
    I just do not trust electric and water. I ran boats for years and am much more in favor
    of diesel or gas engines.
    I have lost my mind. If found, please give it a snack and return it?

"I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same of others"...John Wayne in "The Shootist"

A Deplorable!

18. Thanks Balu thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Elessar View Post
    I just do not trust electric and water. I ran boats for years and am much more in favor
    of diesel or gas engines.
    You're right!
    But the main engine is two-stroke gas to reach the destination. Electric is an auxiliary that is used at the fishing site. It is noiseless and does not scare the fish. In this respect, it is even better than the oars.
    (A.Pushkin)

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Even though you can discharge deep cycle batteries below 20% you really don't want to take them down below 50%. Balu check here for everything (almost) you want to know about batteries but were afraid to ask:

https://www.solar-electric.com/learn...ttery-faq.html

I expect to see some fishing pictures.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Carver Yachts! Made in Wisconsin