Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Balu View Post
    I'm very happy for you. But ... we are in different conditions. I'm talking about an inflatable boat with a length of 3200 mm, which will be transported to lakes, rivers or reservoirs of the Volga in a jeep-luggage compartment. The distances to be covered are short, not exceeding in radius 5-10 km. a day. The electric motor is necessary for local maneuvering when searching for pits, pins and snags - favorite places for pike and perch.
    Fishing usually lasts for 2-3 days and the possibility of charging batteries on the wild shore is very limited. As a result, at the end the battery remains in the semi or full discharged condition, totally for a long time. So the question is how well it tolerates such conditions.
    I agree...different conditions. If you are going to be using the battery for two or three days at a time, you may want to consider a small solar panel to provide a trickle charge to the battery. I do know that running the battery down below a certain level and recharging it shortens the life of the battery.
    I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.
    Thomas Jefferson

2. Thanks Balu thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by CSM View Post
    I agree...different conditions. If you are going to be using the battery for two or three days at a time, you may want to consider a small solar panel to provide a trickle charge to the battery. I do know that running the battery down below a certain level and recharging it shortens the life of the battery.
    Well.
    This is almost what I wanted to know about your American batteries of this brand. The level of discharge can easily be defined by voltmeter. I wanted to know which level of discharge is harmful for it and to which extent it is harmful depending of the level of discharge and the time of its being in such states. I assume that in your country these batteries are used wider than in our, so I asked for the opinion of those, who used these very batteries themselves, about their personal experience.
    As to recharging the battery it is possible to use the car generator, as in our weather conditions the solar panels can hardly be used, as fishing is in day time and there is no additional spare room to install it in my boat. If in summer time fishing were above Polar Circle it would be the other pair of shoes.
    Last edited by Balu; 02-28-2018 at 11:44 AM.
    Indifferent alike to praise or blame
    Give heed, O Muse, but to the voice Divine
    Fearing not injury, nor seeking fame,
    Nor casting pearls to swine.
    (A.Pushkin)

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Balu View Post
    Well.
    This is almost what I wanted to know about your American batteries of this brand. The level of discharge can easily be defined by voltmeter. I wanted to know which level of discharge is harmful for it and to which extent it is harmful depending of the level of discharge and the time of its being in such states. I assume that in your country these batteries are used wider than in our, so I asked for the opinion of those, who used these very batteries themselves, about their personal experience.
    As to recharging the battery it is possible to use the car generator, as in our weather conditions the solar panels can hardly be used, as fishing is in day time and there is no additional spare room to install it in my boat. If in summer time fishing were above Polar Circle it would be the other pair of shoes.
    What a "deep cycle" battery is, is one that is designed to discharge and recharge it's electrical energy many times. Also, if you run a deep cycle battery way down until it's almost dead, that does do it some harm, but they can pop back if you recharge them slowly for a long period of time, like a couple days with a trickle charger such as a Battery Tender.

Here's a couple good vids to explain how a battery works, and the difference between a regular battery and a deep cycle battery... this video simplifies the process of discharging and charging, and how the plates get "sulfated" when discharged, and how the sulfate expels off the plates when charged...

This video explains the primary difference between a deep cycle and a regular battery...

Just about any AMERICAN MADE deep cycle battery will be a good one.
    Last edited by High_Plains_Drifter; 02-28-2018 at 03:59 PM.