Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)

I have read about these. They have power out the wazoo and are able to supply dedicated power to individual channels, rather than the conventional all in one amp.
    As I understand it, you need to already own a high grade stereo amp to facilitate it. I have never looked into a high grade amp because I only listen to music. The three-channel amp is most compatible with a upscale home theater system.

4. Thanks High_Plains_Drifter thanked this post
    Likes LongTermGuy liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by gabosaurus View Post
    I have read about these. They have power out the wazoo and are able to supply dedicated power to individual channels, rather than the conventional all in one amp.
    As I understand it, you need to already own a high grade stereo amp to facilitate it. I have never looked into a high grade amp because I only listen to music. The three-channel amp is most compatible with a upscale home theater system.
    Well... there's several things in your post I can clear up....

... to run an amp you need either a preamp or a processor, or a combination preamp/processor. But, many of the higher end receivers have preamp outputs, which my Denon AVR-4810CI has. Also, a 3 channel amp is very much compatible with a home theater, that's why I'd like to have that one. I can use the preamp outputs on my 4810 to the amp which would take over the amplification of my front left, right and center speakers, and since they're high end Bowers & Wilkins speakers, they can really use the extra power, but the best part is the higher current and much, MUCH cleaner sound.

And yes, the Parasound Halo amps are designed by the legendary John Curl. They are top notch stuff. I'll have one sooner or later.

I didn't know you were interested in this stuff, Gabs... I thought I was the only audiophile here.
    Last edited by High_Plains_Drifter; 02-28-2018 at 09:38 PM.

6. Likes LongTermGuy liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)

Oh noooo...
    Our system is fairly old (happens after you obtain kids), but still a good one. Morantz amp and CD player and a pair of Klipsch bookshelf speakers.
    Fortunately, I can still hear well. Unlike my dad, who suffers from decades of punk and metal concerts.
    Last edited by gabosaurus; 02-28-2018 at 09:59 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by gabosaurus View Post
    Oh noooo...
    Our system is fairly old (happens after you obtain kids), but still a good one. Morantz amp and CD player and a pair of Klipsch bookshelf speakers.
    Fortunately, I can still hear well. Unlike my dad, who suffers from decades of punk and metal concerts.
    Yeah the budget home theater brands like Marantz and Denon and such have all been bought up by a conglomerate. They turn out mass produced consumer grade products now that are fit for the big box stores. If your Marantz is older than it was still owned and manufactured by Marantz, and is probably a better product than what they're making now, same as my Denon. My Denon AVR-4810 was one of the last flagship receivers Denon made before Denon was bought out. I wouldn't buy any of those brands now, Polk included.

If you're really interested in having good audio equipment now, you have to buy "separates," meaning don't buy one of these all in one receivers that will do everything but wash your dishes. They compromise sound and quality packing a ton of features in one box. Best to buy separates if you're really interested in having a good sounding system.
    Last edited by High_Plains_Drifter; 02-28-2018 at 10:17 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)

I have tinnitus, but that's from listening to fighter jets for 8 years.

I can still hear past the ringing though, and why I like to play my music a little loud, and why I want to sound good.

If I had the money... OMG... I'd go hog ass wild buying audio components...

I've already got about $15,000 invested, but that's just a drop in the bucket.
    Last edited by High_Plains_Drifter; 02-28-2018 at 10:22 PM.