Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gunny View Post
    We were forever going to Monterey, CA and San Angelo, TX. .
    My son is doing his Doctorate Internship at the newer VA Hospital/Clinic at was
    once Fort Ord.

I was in Monterey for a day while on a familiarization tour. The Group there (now just
    a station) is situated in a gorgeous building and grounds.
    I have lost my mind. If found, please give it a snack and return it?

"I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same of others"...John Wayne in "The Shootist"

A Deplorable!

2. Thanks Gunny, High_Plains_Drifter thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    368 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Elessar View Post
    My son is doing his Doctorate Internship at the newer VA Hospital/Clinic at was
    once Fort Ord.

I was in Monterey for a day while on a familiarization tour. The Group there (now just
    a station) is situated in a gorgeous building and grounds.
    I only lived on Ft Ord once. Housing was NICE.That was in 68-69. 66-67 and 71-72 we lived on the Presidio of Monterey. That housing was basically a huge apartment complex. Walking to and from school was just "wonderful". 45 degrees downhill to school, and 45 degrees uphill home. Both those housing areas are gone.
    “When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall, one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle.” Edumnd Burke

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)

I only lived on Ft Ord once. Housing was NICE.That was in 68-69. 66-67 and 71-72 we lived on the Presidio of Monterey. That housing was basically a huge apartment complex. Walking to and from school was just "wonderful". 45 degrees downhill to school, and 45 degrees uphill home. Both those housing areas are gone.
    Virtually all plowed over and under now.

Was your father ever in Plattsbugh NY, Davis-Monthan in Tucson AZ?
    Last edited by Elessar; 03-04-2018 at 07:45 PM.
    I have lost my mind. If found, please give it a snack and return it?

"I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same of others"...John Wayne in "The Shootist"

A Deplorable!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    368 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Elessar View Post
    Virtually all plowed over and under now.

Was your father ever in Plattsbugh NY, Davis-Monthan in Tucson AZ?
    Neither place. Funny, we moved a lot, but mostly to the same general areas. Monterey, CA, San ANgelo & San Antonio, TX, Key West and Miami, DC, Eastern Med. we lived on the Marmara Sea in Turkey and Crete, in Greece which for radio activity are pretty close. He was at Keflavik Iceland which was an extension of his commnd at Cardsound Key (Miami)' All of those are Security Service, Linguist/code related bases.

Kansas and IL were the odd men out. Kansas he was with SAC, and I don't know about IL. I didn't ever live with him there.
    Last edited by Gunny; 03-04-2018 at 08:42 PM.
    “When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall, one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle.” Edumnd Burke

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)

Neither place. Funny, we moved a lot, but mostly to the same general areas. Monterey, CA, San ANgelo & San Antonio, TX, Key West and Miami, DC, Eastern Med. we lived on the Marmara Sea in Turkey and Crete, in Greece which for radio activity are pretty close. He was at Keflavik Iceland which was an extension of his commnd at Cardsound Key (Miami)' All of those are Security Service, Linguist/code related bases.

Kansas and IL were the odd men out. Kansas he was with SAC, and I don't know about IL. I didn't ever live with him there.
    Like you @Gunny, I was married when I joined the AF, so I never spent much time living in the barracks. I was divorcing the woman and never had her with me but that didn't matter. I only lived in the barracks at Nellis AFB for a couple months. I didn't know I could move off base as an AIC until I got to talking to someone who was living off base. He said if you're married you can move off base, so I did. Got Variable Housing Allowance, Basic Allowance for Quarters and Basic Allowance for Sustenance. Course I got a roommate but still, we had a great apartment in Vegas, even had a wet bar. That roommate, by the way, is dead now. Tim Lidstrand from Omaha. Called him up one day and his mother answered and said Tim is no longer with us. I did not know he was bipolar, but I did know he liked to drink. Well, between the bipolar and boozing he shot himself one night... sad. Tim was good people. I was B shop, he was A shop, radar, radio, IFF, that stuff, coded the jets every morning with a new IFF code.
    Last edited by High_Plains_Drifter; 03-05-2018 at 10:13 AM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    368 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by High_Plains_Drifter View Post
    Like you @Gunny, I was married when I joined the AF, so I never spent much time living in the barracks. I was divorcing the woman and never had her with me but that didn't matter. I only lived in the barracks at Nellis AFB for a couple months. I didn't know I could move off base as an AIC until I got to talking to someone who was living off base. He said if you're married you can move off base, so I did. Got Variable Housing Allowance, Basic Allowance for Quarters and Basic Allowance for Sustenance. Course I got a roommate but still, we had a great apartment in Vegas, even had a wet bar. That roommate, by the way, is dead now. Tim Lidstrand from Omaha. Called him up one day and his mother answered and said Tim is no longer with us. I did not know he was bipolar, but I did know he liked to drink. Well, between the bipolar and boozing he shot himself one night... sad. Tim was good people. I was B shop, he was A shop, radar, radio, IFF, that stuff, coded the jets every morning with a new IFF code.
    My first roommate got blown up in Beirut. I never got too close to any Marines much after that. He was also my "bunkie" in boot camp.

8. Thanks Black Diamond, High_Plains_Drifter thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)

My first roommate got blown up in Beirut. I never got too close to any Marines much after that. He was also my "bunkie" in boot camp.
    You mean when that Marine barracks got bombed?

We were put on alert after that. We had to be ready to mobilize within an hour. We almost went over there. I was ready. Hell I wanted to see our F-16's in action, but we had this one tall drink of water troop in our shop that SPLIT. Scared him so bad he packed up his wife and kids and DESERTED... unreal... what the hell do these people think they're getting into when they join the MILITARY... HELLO... THE MILITARY... WE FIGHT WARS... we had a guy jump out of the barracks second story window one night in basic too, broke his ankle. Got an Article 15 and a dishonorable discharge. Pussies... no matter what... chicken shit pussies.
    Last edited by High_Plains_Drifter; 03-05-2018 at 05:30 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    368 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by High_Plains_Drifter View Post
    You mean when that Marine barracks got bombed?

We were put on alert after that. We had to be ready to mobilize within an hour. We almost went over there. I was ready. Hell I wanted to see our F-16's in action, but we had this one tall drink of water troop in our shop that SPLIT. Scared him so bad he packed up his wife and kids and DESERTED... unreal... what the hell do these people think they're getting into when they join the MILITARY... HELLO... THE MILITARY... WE FIGHT WARS... we had a guy jump out of the barracks second story window one night in basic too, broke his ankle. Got an Article 15 and a dishonorable discharge. Pussies... no matter what... chicken shit pussies.
    Yeah, I knew a couple of Marines that died in Beirut when they blew up the barracks.

We were sort of on alert as a just in case. I was in III MEF at the time. Okinawa. Our priority there was Asia-namely-North Korea. II MEF out of Lejeune was the ones in Beirut at the time. I don't know which MEU it was. They were called MAF and MAU then. The "A" for "amphibous" got changed back to "E" for "expeditonary" around 87 or so. Which is weird because during Desert Storm they combined I and II MEF into I MEF, then the ME became I MEF's after the war was over and we did all the ME pumps to the Arabia Gulf. II MEF went back to Atlantic and Med duty.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)

Yeah, I knew a couple of Marines that died in Beirut when they blew up the barracks.

We were sort of on alert as a just in case. I was in III MEF at the time. Okinawa. Our priority there was Asia-namely-North Korea. II MEF out of Lejeune was the ones in Beirut at the time. I don't know which MEU it was. They were called MAF and MAU then. The "A" for "amphibous" got changed back to "E" for "expeditonary" around 87 or so. Which is weird because during Desert Storm they combined I and II MEF into I MEF, then the ME became I MEF's after the war was over and we did all the ME pumps to the Arabia Gulf. II MEF went back to Atlantic and Med duty.
    Yeah they've changed so much in the AF since I got out, all I can talk about is how it USED to be. I was still wearing olive drab when I got out in '87. The changed the MSgt stripes to one up and five down instead of all six down, hanging or whatever, and now I believe the AF wears the same BDU's as the Army and Marines.