Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kathianne View Post
    I can't believe you shared that, but it's one to write down for posterity! Great story, reminds me of college!
    Yeah, I screwed up, life's lessons still getting me!

I'm still broken right now though. My back feels like it's broken in many pieces. I try to sleep, but having trouble, but slept some, and now feel like Rick shot me with that .460!! Everything aches, I'm SO SO tired and can't seem to catch on yet. And the wife is like "Walk the dog, feed the dog, take the other dog out, clean the cat litter, play with the cat too...." But I'm SO tired right now! LOL

And I have a vet appt. for 4:20 today to get her all checked out and ask many questions.
    “You know the world is going crazy when the best rapper is a white guy, the best golfer is a black guy, the tallest guy in the NBA is Chinese, the Swiss hold the America's Cup, France is accusing the U.S. of arrogance, Germany doesn't want to go to war, and the three most powerful men in America are named "Bush", "Dick", and "Colin." Need I say more?” - Chris Rock

2. Likes Kathianne liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    201 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jimnyc View Post

So this picture here is right below Larson Creek, facing upriver. It's about 12 miles up from town.

A few days ago as Jim, Joe and I were going to town for more diesel & gas, I stopped here and unhooked the freight sleds I was pulling with my machine and rerouted this snowmachine trail to the left of this picture. If you look closely, you can see an area where the ice drops down in this picture - the river was slowly opening up all around our trail and I knew it would soon be dangerous.

So I took my machine and made a new trail to the left where the ice was safe, ran it a few times widening it and packing it down for future use, and that's the new trail now.

Just got a call last night from one of the guys that live up there on his cell phone, asking me to come down the river and save him - he made a wrong turn and went up the trail in this picture instead of my new trail, and sunk his snowmachine in 6' of water. He made it out okay, but his machine and freight are all at the bottom of the river as we speak, and he was slowly walking up the trail upriver soaking wet and needed help.

I told him I wasn't up there, but my brother and his friends are, and hung up with him and called my brother who jumped on a couple of machines to go retrieve him and get him into the cabin to warm up and dry off.

I suppose he'll build some sort of tripod over the hole where his machine is and rig ropes & pulleys to lift that rig off the bottom of the river. Once you do that, though, the clock is ticking to get that machine inside a warm shop so the water inside the engine doesn't freeze. I would have the tow sled all rigged up and waiting before I ever lifted that sunk one out of the river.

That's the 3rd machine that got sunk this winter - one of them being mine - right around this area of the Talkeetna. Sometimes these things happen, no matter how much experience & quality of gear you have.
    Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum

4. Thanks jimnyc thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by NightTrain View Post
    So this picture here is right below Larson Creek, facing upriver. It's about 12 miles up from town.

A few days ago as Jim, Joe and I were going to town for more diesel & gas, I stopped here and unhooked the freight sleds I was pulling with my machine and rerouted this snowmachine trail to the left of this picture. If you look closely, you can see an area where the ice drops down in this picture - the river was slowly opening up all around our trail and I knew it would soon be dangerous.

So I took my machine and made a new trail to the left where the ice was safe, ran it a few times widening it and packing it down for future use, and that's the new trail now.

Just got a call last night from one of the guys that live up there on his cell phone, asking me to come down the river and save him - he made a wrong turn and went up the trail in this picture instead of my new trail, and sunk his snowmachine in 6' of water. He made it out okay, but his machine and freight are all at the bottom of the river as we speak, and he was slowly walking up the trail upriver soaking wet and needed help.

I told him I wasn't up there, but my brother and his friends are, and hung up with him and called my brother who jumped on a couple of machines to go retrieve him and get him into the cabin to warm up and dry off.

I suppose he'll build some sort of tripod over the hole where his machine is and rig ropes & pulleys to lift that rig off the bottom of the river. Once you do that, though, the clock is ticking to get that machine inside a warm shop so the water inside the engine doesn't freeze. I would have the tow sled all rigged up and waiting before I ever lifted that sunk one out of the river.

That's the 3rd machine that got sunk this winter - one of them being mine - right around this area of the Talkeetna. Sometimes these things happen, no matter how much experience & quality of gear you have.
    Oh man, that sucks. Was that my latest friend that you introduced me too up the mountain, the awesome trail builder who built the last tripod?

Anyway, that sucks. Glad it wasn't me though, I would have just asked you to bring out the .460 and save me.

That trail you built you did in minutes too!! The hell with that "Hit the gas and don't let up crap" - my ass thinks "I ain't going over no dang water spots!! I hit the brakes so hard and almost turned sideways!! Jim and cruising over water spots, or overflow, or whatever you call it - after your 91 degree body temp story - no way Jose!! I say THANKS for the new trail!
    “You know the world is going crazy when the best rapper is a white guy, the best golfer is a black guy, the tallest guy in the NBA is Chinese, the Swiss hold the America's Cup, France is accusing the U.S. of arrogance, Germany doesn't want to go to war, and the three most powerful men in America are named "Bush", "Dick", and "Colin." Need I say more?” - Chris Rock

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    201 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jimnyc View Post
    Oh man, that sucks. Was that my latest friend that you introduced me too up the mountain, the awesome trail builder who built the last tripod?

Anyway, that sucks. Glad it wasn't me though, I would have just asked you to bring out the .460 and save me.

That trail you built you did in minutes too!! The hell with that "Hit the gas and don't let up crap" - my ass thinks "I ain't going over no dang water spots!! I hit the brakes so hard and almost turned sideways!! Jim and cruising over water spots, or overflow, or whatever you call it - after your 91 degree body temp story - no way Jose!! I say THANKS for the new trail!

No, you met Patrick. The guy that just sunk his machine is the crazy fucker I told you about who practices arson! lol

I'll upload videos & pics today, but have to run up to Swiss Alaska to meet the boys with the 'Burb. They're pulling out today so I'll be ferrying equipment back to Wasilla.

And I can't believe you told on yourself with falling off the deck! I wasn't going to tell on you, I was just joking about posting that story on the board!

7. Likes jimnyc, Kathianne liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by NightTrain View Post
    No, you met Patrick. The guy that just sunk his machine is the crazy fucker I told you about who practices arson! lol

I'll upload videos & pics today, but have to run up to Swiss Alaska to meet the boys with the 'Burb. They're pulling out today so I'll be ferrying equipment back to Wasilla.

And I can't believe you told on yourself with falling off the deck! I wasn't going to tell on you, I was just joking about posting that story on the board!
    Ahhhh, the other J guy!! Karma maybe?

Oh man, more back and forth with the 'burb and trailers? That has got to get old after awhile, except for the views on the way of course!! Heading towards Talkeetna and seeing Mckinley in front of you has sure got to make it easier at times.

Yeah, I'm an honest bastard, what can I say. No man should ever fall in the pee hole. I blacked out. You bastards may have planned that! LOL

Nah, that's just lightweight Jim, watching you, thinking I can hang, and failed a tad I may say! I kinda hung around through the steak and crab at least!! Then the counter as I was getting drunker..... but then fizzled out and into the pee hole.

I feel so sad and violated, by yellow snow. Please kill me.

9. Likes NightTrain, NT'sGirl liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

So Nikoh is a little rougher on toys than Porter apparently. Porter has this huge green plush bone, yellow in the center that squeaks when she bites it. Well, it likely won't be squeaking much longer, or existing much longer for that fact!! A teething little beautiful Husky can sure eat!!

So I went to Petco this morning and got her like $80 worth of various Kong toys and goodies to put in them to hopefully keep her busy chewing on them, and not my remote control, cell phone, couch, pens, pencils, cat toys....

Here's a few crappy photos of her and her very first toy of her own!! Hard for whatever reason to get a good still shot.

11. Thanks NT'sGirl thanked this post
    Likes NightTrain, NT'sGirl, Kathianne liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)

remember no rawhide!
    Carrots are great for teething
    Marrow bones you can by in the frozen food section raw, cooked bones become brittle and can splinter in their gums and other places
    I will send you some antler for her too that is great for something hard to destroy

note on kong toys they do not digest and if a dog eats too much of it it can lodge in the tracks this I know because we had a Jack Russel that has 3 surgeries to clean him out same with Nyla bones
    Normal is an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly.” —. Morticia Addams

13. Likes Kathianne, jimnyc liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by NT'sGirl View Post
    remember no rawhide!
    Carrots are great for teething
    Marrow bones you can by in the frozen food section raw, cooked bones become brittle and can splinter in their gums and other places
    I will send you some antler for her too that is great for something hard to destroy

note on kong toys they do not digest and if a dog eats too much of it it can lodge in the tracks this I know because we had a Jack Russel that has 3 surgeries to clean him out same with Nyla bones
    Yikes, more things to be aware of!

Definitely no rawhide, I never gave that to my Chihuahua after a bad event with my Pug many years back, when he had a reaction to the rawhide.

I got some more carrots, and will now look for the marrow too.

I was unaware of that with the Kong stuff. I never liked the Nyla bone stuff. I'll keep an eye out and take any Kon stuff away that she starts chipping away at. I gave her another one that's a bone, and you put special treats in either end. Hopefully she's more interested in that treat than she is eating the Kong!

15. Likes NT'sGirl liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    201 Post(s)

And now, the first video up on Sockeye Lake up on the mountain behind the cabin.

Jim begins learning the sometimes painful art of riding a snowmachine properly with balancing it, especially in the deep snow.

Just a warning... Jim does drop a few F Bombs. Naughty fella.

Last edited by NightTrain; 03-14-2018 at 11:48 PM.

17. Thanks darin thanked this post
    Likes jimnyc, NT'sGirl liked this post
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    139 Post(s)

That is the life. Incredible.
    “… the greatest detractor from high performance is fear: fear that you are not prepared, fear that you are in over your head, fear that you are not worthy, and ultimately, fear of failure. If you can eliminate that fear—not through arrogance or just wishing difficulties away, but through hard work and preparation—you will put yourself in an incredibly powerful position to take on the challenges you face" - Pete Carroll.

19. Likes jimnyc liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    201 Post(s)

21. Thanks darin thanked this post
    Likes jimnyc liked this post
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    139 Post(s)

looks like heaven.
    “… the greatest detractor from high performance is fear: fear that you are not prepared, fear that you are in over your head, fear that you are not worthy, and ultimately, fear of failure. If you can eliminate that fear—not through arrogance or just wishing difficulties away, but through hard work and preparation—you will put yourself in an incredibly powerful position to take on the challenges you face" - Pete Carroll.

23. Likes jimnyc liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

Wow! So, Ummmmmm, who's the ventriloquist? Do I really curse that much? Man was I aggravated with digging out though. 3-4 feet of snow everywhere and a heavy ass snow machine, NOT as easy as it may appear to get around and/or dig out. Thankfully Rick was around to help, and film my humiliation and potty mouth. Why is it that I HATE my voice when recorded?

Quote Originally Posted by darin View Post
    That is the life. Incredible.
    Quote Originally Posted by darin View Post
    looks like heaven.
    It really is, Darin. You would likely fare so much better than me too, being an outdoors person and a traveler. It's a LOT of work, from riding, to getting water, building things, carrying things, sweating, aches, carry more things, ride in the tough stuff some more.... and then eat huge steaks and many crab legs to soothe your pains!! And then wash down with whiskey and sleep in the pee! LOL

25. Thanks darin thanked this post
    Likes darin, Kathianne liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

That trail that you see Rick and us on at the end of the last video. It gets SO much better, ALL woods and the smoothest trail in the world. And a surprise in there somewhere if the Gopro was still running. Felt like we were in the woods riding for days, and it got tiring, and it got cold!! But damn, you'll NEVER experience that anywhere else. It was truly special for me, all of it, even the hard work and crashing!!

27. Thanks darin thanked this post
    Likes darin liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

So - Las Vegas, Seattle & Chicago

While I was being tortured from coast to coast with my anxiety & inability to travel/fly very well. I found myself in Las Vegas on night #1. Would have been better if I took more xanax and had a friend with me. I felt weird in the Harrah's casino by myself, as if I was being watched. Then walking around the same, I felt as if I stood out somehow, and probably did! I brought in a ton of great sights, even if I don't have all the photos. I truly was in panic mode. When I got to the airport the next morning, I soon got a text that I had a 2 hour delay. That meant missing connection in Seattle. I saw a gate that had a flight to JFK in New York and was dumb enough to even think of it for a minute.

But I just made arrangements in Seattle in decided to continue on the next day, and I immediately texted and called Rick to update.

So Seattle, I think I was at the Sheraton there? It was another really nice hotel, but this one was like 1 mile from the airport, so I felt a little comfy. There was a 7-11 right down the block which I hit a few times and felt like I was back in NJ for a tad there. Met a really really nice black gent in there and we chatted football for a bit. He saw my jacket, and he looked like an NFL lineman, he was HUGE! So in line, I paid for his coffee and soda, to bring me good luck hopefully.

The next day was just a short journey from Seattle to Anchorage! I'm so out of it, I don't even remember when I arrived? I think it was like 2pm or something like that. It was just Sharon and I. We got about 10 miles away and I reached for my pill carrier, my safety net, my comfort, my precious - which was now on an unattended seat in the 1st row of a Delta Airlines flight unknown! I panicked, I truly panicked. I had a LOT of medicine in that little steel carrier. It took me a few minutes of deep breathing before I remembered I brought the bottles of every medication I take, and had way more than enough with me. So onward to Wasilla we went! (with a little unneeded anxiety)

So Sharon, Rick, Joe and I had a short night of doing small things and talking about all the fun ahead of us. I got a fairly decent nights sleep with the help of those very meds! LOL

---cabin stuff ---

The plan was to gear up and get back to Wasilla on Friday sometime, spend Saturday doing souvenir hunting and a few other things. But while plans got messed up and I spent an extra day at the cabin, you don't hear me complaining!

So I think we got back with a few hours to go, took a shower, hung out and caught my breath for like an hour, and off to Anchorage we went!

Then I just sat in the airport with my new puppy and reflected back on the past 10 days. Kinda rough leaving good friends, and just being in such a relaxing place (at least when Rick wasn't planning on my death). But then I was in the plane, her under the seat, and off to Chicago!

I get to Comfort Suites Inn at like 8am Chicago time. "Sorry sir, but check in isn't until 4pm". But I produced my reservation and the email with management from 2 months ago when I asked about this, and was told it wouldn't be an issue as an airport hotel they are used to all hours. The woman's reply to all of that? "I don't care, the computer says no rooms and check in isn't until 4pm". Oh boy, you don't want Jim angry when off meds, and no sleep, and a 7hr overnight flight. I won't get into details.

So a few very unhappy hours later, and 20 miles and downtown Chicago later, I found myself at some Marriot Mile Hotel or something like that. I think my wife thought it was a regular one, but she done got me into some fancy schmancy hotel that was like 4x the price of the Comfort crap. Now THIS was comfort. At least until minute #2 and the new pup dropped about 5 gallons of pee on the bed. I tried outside, but she was spooked I believe.

So I called my sister who actually works for Marriott, and asked what to do. She said NOTHING, toss it on the floor in the morning, they will think it was YOU and make no big deal of it. WTF??? Let them think I peed all over my own bed?? That maybe I had a dang colostomy bag that broke? LOL I didn't say anything. Now I await to whether or not I get a bill in the mail!!

29. Thanks darin thanked this post
    Likes darin, Kathianne, NT'sGirl liked this post