Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    369 Post(s)

Oh, and I thought you were referring to WWII Nazi's not Neo-Nazi's being used as freedom fighters. Poor choice of "freedom fighters" if you ask me. I think I'd prefer someone else. Neo-Nazi's here in the US are dumbasses and discriminated against by just about everyone. Nobody takes them seriously. Well, except the Jews. They are usually sounding the alarm about something they consider antisemitic like it's the end of the world.
    Last edited by Gunny; 03-16-2018 at 05:03 PM.
    “When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall, one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle.” Edumnd Burke

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    164 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Polite Russian View Post
    oh, btw, I want to go to Crimea in summer, I will definitely gonna share some photos and my impressions with you
    I look forward to seeing all of that.

Might I ask you to be as open-minded on the Crimea issue as you have been on other matters ? Our clear impression is that Putin ruthlessly annexed it ... trying to cover up that fact through a 'Referendum' whose result was a foregone conclusion, returned a vote with improbable figures, and was illegally held in any case. And Putin, having got what he wanted, has since openly said that Crimea will NEVER know autonomy again, free from Russia.

Interesting that he knows how Crimeans will feel - for ALL OF TIME, yet !! - about wanting to be part of Mother Russia. Doesn't that give you pause for thought ?

As for Ukraine .. in the eastern side of it, they're more pro-Russia than the Western side is. Most of Ukraine is desperate to be free ... to live the lives THEY choose for THEMSELVES. Perhaps part of what's 'bad' about Ukraine is that they're so dependent for energy and traded supplies on Russia, that Russia can easily exploit that fact, and reduce their standard of living through attrition tactics ??

Putin would disagree, I'm sure. But there's nothing wrong with freedom. Ukraine doesn't deserve to be pilloried for wanting some for themselves.

Here's a taste of what it's said 'Mother Russia' has given them in the past ... courtesy of Stalin (Gunny has referred to this, above ..) ...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holodomor

During the Holodomor millions of inhabitants of Ukraine, the majority of whom were ethnic Ukrainians, died of starvation in a peacetime catastrophe unprecedented in the history of Ukraine. Since 2006, the Holodomor has been recognized by Ukraine and 15 other countries as a genocide of the Ukrainian people carried out by the Soviet government.

Early estimates of the death toll by scholars and government officials varied greatly; anywhere from 1.8 to 12 million ethnic Ukrainians were said to have perished as a result of the famine. Recent research has since narrowed the estimates to between 2.4 and 7.5 million. The exact number of deaths is hard to determine, due to a lack of records, but the number increases significantly when the deaths in heavily Ukrainian-populated Kuban are included. Older estimates are still often cited in political commentary. According to the findings of the Court of Appeal of Kiev in 2010, the demographic losses due to the famine amounted to 10 million, with 3.9 million direct famine deaths, and a further 6.1 million birth deficit.

Some scholars believe that the famine was planned by Joseph Stalin to eliminate a Ukrainian independence movement. Using Holodomor in reference to the famine emphasises its man-made aspects, arguing that actions such as rejection of outside aid, confiscation of all household foodstuffs, and restriction of population movement confer intent, defining the famine as genocide; the loss of life has been compared to that of the Holocaust. The causes are still a subject of academic debate, and some historians dispute its characterization as a genocide.
    Disgusting, isn't it ?

I invite you to consider all of this when considering Ukraine's desperate desire to live their OWN lives, in their OWN way.
    Last edited by Drummond; 03-16-2018 at 07:22 PM.
    It's That Bloody Foreigner Again !!!

3. Thanks Gunny thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    369 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Drummond View Post

Might I ask you to be as open-minded on the Crimea issue as you have been on other matters ? Our clear impression is that Putin ruthlessly annexed it ... trying to cover up that fact through a 'Referendum' whose result was a foregone conclusion, returned a vote with improbable figures, and was illegally held in any case. And Putin, having got what he wanted, has since openly said that Crimea will NEVER know autonomy again, free from Russia.

Interesting that he knows how Crimeans will feel - for ALL OF TIME, yet !! - about wanting to be part of Mother Russia. Doesn't that give you pause for thought ?

As for Ukraine .. in the eastern side of it, they're more pro-Russia than the Western side is. Most of Ukraine is desperate to be free ... to live the lives THEY choose for THEMSELVES. Perhaps part of what's 'bad' about Ukraine is that they're so dependent for energy and traded supplies on Russia, that Russia can easily exploit that fact, and reduce their standard of living through attrition tactics ??

Putin would disagree, I'm sure. But there's nothing wrong with freedom. Ukraine doesn't deserve to be pilloried for wanting some for themselves.

Here's a taste of what it's said 'Mother Russia' has given them in the past ... courtesy of Stalin ...

Disgusting, isn't it ?

I invite you to consider all of this when considering Ukraine's desperate desire to live their OWN lives, in their OWN way.
    Yeah. I bet he thinks we won't hold him to those pictures
    “When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall, one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle.” Edumnd Burke

5. Thanks Drummond thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    164 Post(s)

Risking displeasure from certain very pro-Russian contributors here (oh, I'm SO worried about that !!) ... I'm posting this.

Zlata Ognevich ... a Ukrainian, a passionate freedom-fighter for Ukraine's continued independence .. a stellar personality, and quite nice to look at, too !

I find her inspiring. Considering also that her parents are stuck in Crimea, and refuse to take out Russian citizenship.

7. Thanks Gunny, Elessar thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    369 Post(s)

I wouldn't worry about it. I got polite russian to translate a Ukrainian song for me. It's in the music subforum. It's about a duck How the Hell am I supposed to know? It had the whole little coach's section on the Voice Ukraine in tears. I thought it was going to be a "my GF got killed" song
    Last edited by Gunny; 03-16-2018 at 08:02 PM.

9. Thanks Drummond thanked this post
    Likes Drummond liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    164 Post(s)

Default ANOTHER Russian death on UK soil ...

I'll be opening a separate thread on this, where discussion - if any - should be principally conducted, of course.

But this is a story that's been brewing for a couple of days. Tonight, our police finally categorised it as a murder investigation.

Yes. This is another Russian, a businessman, who has been living in the UK. He was an outspoken critic of Putin. And now, he's dead.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-43433552

Considering the other chemical poisoning case, our police are evidently being VERY careful as to how they approach this investigation. Nonetheless ....

UK police have launched a murder investigation after the death of Russian businessman Nikolai Glushkov in south-west London.

Mr Glushkov was found dead at his home in New Malden on 12 March.

A post-mortem examination revealed Mr Glushkov, who was 68, died from "compression to the neck".

There is, at this stage, no evidence linking the death to the attempted murder of a former Russian spy and his daughter in Salisbury, police say.

Detectives are retaining an open mind and are appealing for any information that will assist the investigation.

In particular, they are appealing for anyone who may have seen or heard anything suspicious at or near his home in Clarence Avenue, New Malden, between Sunday 11 March and Monday 12 March to contact them.

Police on Friday continued to guard the home lived in by Mr Glushkov. A blue and a purple tent was erected to cover the front drive of the property, which has been cordoned off along with several adjoining properties either side.

Mr Glushkov is the former deputy director of Russian state airline Aeroflot.

He was jailed in 1999 for five years after being charged with money laundering and fraud.

After being given a suspended sentence for another count of fraud in 2006, he was granted political asylum in the UK in 2010 and became a critic of Russian President Vladimir Putin.

Former PR and advertising executive Lord Bell, who was a close friend of Mr Glushkov, described him as a "very charming, funny, affectionate man who had a troubled past".

He said he was "concerned" his friend's past might have made Russia consider him to have worked against the state.
    Last edited by Drummond; 03-16-2018 at 08:05 PM.

11. Thanks Gunny thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    369 Post(s)

I posted something on this hen it happened. I just don't recall if I posted it inside one of these existing threads or if I started a new one. Didn't get much attention either way.

"Compression to the neck" huh?

13. Thanks Drummond thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    164 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gunny View Post
    I posted something on this hen it happened. I just don't recall if I posted it inside one of these existing threads or if I started a new one. Didn't get much attention either way.

"Compression to the neck" huh?
    Indeed ...

I'll see if I can find your post, Gunny [LATE EDIT .. FOUND & ADDED TO ..]

Our police are being ultra-cautious with this one. Nonetheless, it was BBC News's lead story on our 'News at 10' broadcast tonight, and is dominating news coverage here.

I'll state the blindingly obvious (... subject to any evidence coming along which somehow proves me wrong !! ...). Putin, it certainly appears, is dealing with old adversaries in his own, murderous, way. Settling scores. Timed to coincide with an imminent election, it seems even more obvious, now, that Putin's sending a message saying 'cross me, EVER, and forever fear for your life &/or wellbeing'.

Hitler would've approved ? I certainly think so.
    Last edited by Drummond; 03-16-2018 at 08:45 PM.

15. Thanks Gunny thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    369 Post(s)

Indeed ...

I'll see if I can find your post, Gunny [LATE EDIT .. FOUND & ADDED TO ..]

Our police are being ultra-cautious with this one. Nonetheless, it was BBC News's lead story on our 'News at 10' broadcast tonight, and is dominating news coverage here.

I'll state the blindingly obvious (... subject to any evidence coming along which somehow proves me wrong !! ...). Putin, it certainly appears, is dealing with old adversaries in his own, murderous, way. Settling scores. Timed to coincide with an imminent election, it seems even more obvious, now, that Putin's sending a message saying 'cross me, EVER, and forever fear for your life &/or wellbeing'.

Hitler would've approved ? I certainly think so.
    It doesn't make sense. I have a hard time with things that aren't logical. Revenge is an emotional response and a serious flaw in one's character. It definitely brings judgement into play. I don't see where he stands to gain anything. He would be not hurting only himself, but his country as well because of the sanctions.

Maybe he thinks he's untouchable, Who knows? He's been pretty belligerent and threatening in general lately. I figure THAT is posturing for the election. I don't see where assassination helps him.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    164 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gunny View Post
    It doesn't make sense. I have a hard time with things that aren't logical. Revenge is an emotional response and a serious flaw in one's character. It definitely brings judgement into play. I don't see where he stands to gain anything. He would be not hurting only himself, but his country as well because of the sanctions.

Maybe he thinks he's untouchable, Who knows? He's been pretty belligerent and threatening in general lately. I figure THAT is posturing for the election. I don't see where assassination helps him.
    I think he's so consumed with his own sense of power, that he does think he's untouchable. Observe a typical 'Balu' posting, and I think that massive pride in military strength, along with the arrogant boasting about it, illustrates a typical Putin thought process.

So bankrupt is this form of thinking that decency, civilised conduct, keeping to decent values, and having these MATTER ... these don't enter into it.

He has the 'Might'. Therefore, he's 'Right'. All he needs do, he thinks, is to make sure that everyone's fully aware of it, and then, to his way of thinking, all is suddenly right with the world.

Absolutely nothing else matters to the likes of Putin.

And this is why he's such a danger to world security.

18. Thanks Elessar, jimnyc thanked this post
    Likes jimnyc liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

Here's a taste of what it's said 'Mother Russia' has given them in the past ... courtesy of Stalin (Gunny has referred to this, above ..) ...

Disgusting, isn't it ?

Untill the USSR there was no Ukraine
    There was Malorussia region (or Littlerussia). Before that part of those lands was held by Poland. But there was a looong time ago. When the revolution of 1917 begin, there was a lot of separatist actions. Finland, for example. It is funny, somebody here call Finland is a country, where White's was victorious. Maybe the whole Russia coud be a better place, if the Last true European Russians (the White Army) coud defeat all of commie shit-heads.

And I'm not telling you, that we need all the Ukraine I just think, that Russians of the Ukraine (and there are A LOT) have right to live on their land as they want. Ukrainian government do not accept their will. And here goes the war.

Damn, I'll be honest with you, it's hard to discuss such complicated theme using english
    I feel, that I just don't know how to say properly some things

20. Thanks Drummond, jimnyc, Gunny thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    164 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Polite Russian View Post
    Untill the USSR there was no Ukraine
    There was Malorussia region (or Littlerussia). Before that part of those lands was held by Poland. But there was a looong time ago. When the revolution of 1917 begin, there was a lot of separatist actions. Finland, for example. It is funny, somebody here call Finland is a country, where White's was victorious. Maybe the whole Russia coud be a better place, if the Last true European Russians (the White Army) coud defeat all of commie shit-heads.

And I'm not telling you, that we need all the Ukraine I just think, that Russians of the Ukraine (and there are A LOT) have right to live on their land as they want. Ukrainian government do not accept their will. And here goes the war.

Damn, I'll be honest with you, it's hard to discuss such complicated theme using english
    I feel, that I just don't know how to say properly some things
    Well ... even if it's true that Ukraine didn't exist before the USSR, how does that make the smallest difference to their having the right to be a separate country, NOW ?

If they want to be ... if they're distinct as a real, separate nation, then why on earth not ?

I also understand that the eastern part of Ukraine is more pro-Russian than the Western half. So, why don't the pro-Russians live exclusively in the east ?

That said .. you may be arguing, in practical terms, for a carving-up of the country ? For a diminishment of its size, and so its very viability ?

A better solution may be for those who feel strongly enough to actually go and live in Russia. And let the rest choose, and be FREE to choose, their own path.

In the meantime, Russia is fighting its war of attrition. Making Ukraine so dependent upon it that it CANNOT thrive without Russian help. Which gives Putin, on so-called 'humanitarian' grounds, to just walk in, claim Ukraine is a failed State, and needs Russia's 'kindly' rule.

How very convenient.

Goodbye, Ukraine's autonomy. Hello, another period of Russian dictatorship .....

... and let's hope they survive it, better than they survived Stalin's rule !!!!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)

Risking displeasure from certain very pro-Russian contributors here (oh, I'm SO worried about that !!) ... I'm posting this.

Zlata Ognevich ... a Ukrainian, a passionate freedom-fighter for Ukraine's continued independence .. a stellar personality, and quite nice to look at, too !

I find her inspiring. Considering also that her parents are stuck in Crimea, and refuse to take out Russian citizenship.
    She is outstanding as a singer, too.
    I have lost my mind. If found, please give it a snack and return it?

"I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same of others"...John Wayne in "The Shootist"

A Deplorable!

23. Thanks Drummond thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

Well ... even if it's true that Ukraine didn't exist before the USSR, how does that make the smallest difference to their having the right to be a separate country, NOW ?

If they want to be ... if they're distinct as a real, separate nation, then why on earth not ?

I also understand that the eastern part of Ukraine is more pro-Russian than the Western half. So, why don't the pro-Russians live exclusively in the east ?

That said .. you may be arguing, in practical terms, for a carving-up of the country ? For a diminishment of its size, and so its very viability ?

A better solution may be for those who feel strongly enough to actually go and live in Russia. And let the rest choose, and be FREE to choose, their own path.

In the meantime, Russia is fighting its war of attrition. Making Ukraine so dependent upon it that it CANNOT thrive without Russian help. Which gives Putin, on so-called 'humanitarian' grounds, to just walk in, claim Ukraine is a failed State, and needs Russia's 'kindly' rule.

How very convenient.

Goodbye, Ukraine's autonomy. Hello, another period of Russian dictatorship .....

... and let's hope they survive it, better than they survived Stalin's rule !!!!

Because Donbass people want to be Russians, but they also want to live on their land. This is not Ukrainian government's lands. It belong to people. And people are fighting for their land.
    Before that conflict we were in peace and call each other "brothers" (except that Ukraine Rebel Army fan club, they always was an enemies. As I know, they even fought against our forces in 1 Chechen conflict).
    But now there are a lot of propaganda in both sides. We call them nazis, they call us nazis. I, actually, don't know, what to believe. I know, that our mass media give us a lot of crap. But the Ukrainian mass media give even worse shit. Their "info" almost immediately became a meme here.
    The problem of Ukraine is that it is the same, as in Russia. Stupid, incompetent leaders, total corruption. Young people there want to leave the country. Here the same. I don't know anybody, who will not run away, if they have the opportunity.

25. Thanks Gunny, Drummond, High_Plains_Drifter thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

and let's hope they survive it, better than they survived Stalin's rule !!!!

And Ukraine was not the only one republic, that suffered because of soviet government. The whole USSR was a fucking mistake, that cost millions of lifes

27. Thanks Gunny, Drummond, High_Plains_Drifter thanked this post