Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Default My daughter-in-law got thrown out of church!?

We are puzzled and dismayed about this religious issue -- maybe someone can explain it.

My daughter-in-law visited her brother and his family and offered to take the little niece to Sunday School. They aren't religious but thought she would enjoy it (and she had a great time, fortunately, not knowing of the fireworks in the sanctuary).

This was a Baptist church. During the sermon, my DIL started waving her arm in praise. My own history is Methodist and we never did that but daughter and DIL have long gone to the sort of churches that meet in movie theaters or store fronts and they do. It's not wild behavior: just a sort of ritualized limp waving, as I've seen it.

The minister stopped abruptly and said right in the congregation for her to stop doing that: they don't wave arms in this church! She stopped and said she was sorry, but then got mad and rethought it and said no one could tell her how she could or couldn't praise Jesus, and left the sanctuary.

Well, darn. We always thought Baptists were............looser, more enthusiastic maybe, than that. This sounds downright Episcopal, rigid. No one was rolling around or shrieking in tongues, after all --- both of which I've seen or heard of, in days of yore.

What do you all think of this? She posted the story on Facebook, and her friends said she ought to come to their churches.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    181 Post(s)

I'm kind of shocked that the Pastor did this. I currently attend a Baptist church, where some raise our arms in worship; most don't. No one would ever ask someone to stop. Way to turn your DIL off to going to church.

Our previous church of many, many years was the theater/storefront non-denominational type you've described. We all worshipped very expressively. It's not ritualized or limp, though.
    I loved it there.
    After the game, the king and the pawn go into the same box - Author unknown

“Unfortunately, the truth is now whatever the media say it is”
    -Abbey

Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    139 Post(s)

I would wager, based on the evidence, that pastor doesn't know God. What the pastor did was NOT love. The pastor's actions were evidence of the opposite of love.
    “… the greatest detractor from high performance is fear: fear that you are not prepared, fear that you are in over your head, fear that you are not worthy, and ultimately, fear of failure. If you can eliminate that fear—not through arrogance or just wishing difficulties away, but through hard work and preparation—you will put yourself in an incredibly powerful position to take on the challenges you face" - Pete Carroll.

4. Thanks Abbey Marie thanked this post
    Likes Abbey Marie liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)

I have no idea at all what the problem would be with raising ones arm in praise to the Lord.

I think the problem is with the so called preacher.

6. Thanks Abbey Marie thanked this post
    Likes Abbey Marie liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    368 Post(s)

From the mouth of the Baptist ... there are different Baptist churches and you have to go with the flow depending on which one you go to. Some of it is regional, definitely racial, the North isn't the South and the West isn't the East. The city is not the country. People just refuse to accept regional and cultural divide in this country.

If you started waving your arms in the church I was raised in you would probably have the entire congregation staring at you. Old-school Baptists are extremely conservative. It isn't that they "don't know God" @darin , it's that they know Him differently than you. Those people are the salt of the Earth and would give you the shirts off their backs.

In turn, I've been to one of thse charismatic, hippy, rock-n-roll churches that calls itself Baptist where they sway and sing to the band half the sermon and I was WAY out of place. Everybody running around in jeans and flip flops -- not my cup of tea. And try going to a black Baptist Church. Or a by God actual Southern Baptist Church. Southern Baptists are actually a separate church from y'all "regular" Baptists. And go to one of these small, country, Southern Baptist churches where everyone has known everyone else for a few generations like I grew up in. You'll get wide-eyed stared at like a rapper in a country bar .

My advice is if you dont like it, don't go. Freedom of worship means you can pick whichever church suits your fancy. But when in Rome ....
    “When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall, one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle.” Edumnd Burke

8. Likes Kathianne liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gunny View Post
    From the mouth of the Baptist ... there are different Baptist churches and you have to go with the flow depending on which one you go to. Some of it is regional, definitely racial, the North isn't the South and the West isn't the East. The city is not the country. People just refuse to accept regional and cultural divide in this country.

If you started waving your arms in the church I was raised in you would probably have the entire congregation staring at you. Old-school Baptists are extremely conservative. It isn't that they "don't know God" @darin , it's that they know Him differently than you. Those people are the salt of the Earth and would give you the shirts off their backs.

In turn, I've been to one of thse charismatic, hippy, rock-n-roll churches that calls itself Baptist where they sway and sing to the band half the sermon and I was WAY out of place. Everybody running around in jeans and flip flops -- not my cup of tea. And try going to a black Baptist Church. Or a by God actual Southern Baptist Church. Southern Baptists are actually a separate church from y'all "regular" Baptists. And go to one of these small, country, Southern Baptist churches where everyone has known everyone else for a few generations like I grew up in. You'll get wide-eyed stared at like a rapper in a country bar .

My advice is if you dont like it, don't go. Freedom of worship means you can pick whichever church suits your fancy. But when in Rome ....
    That's pretty much my take, though I'm not Baptist. Different churches have different mores, it comes down to what is comfortable for the congregation.

Unless the message in not aligned with God's Word, to me one looks for where one finds it most conducive to their relationship with God.))

"The government is a child that has found their parents credit card, and spends knowing that they never have to reconcile the bill with their own money"-Shannon Churchill

10. Thanks Gunny thanked this post
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    139 Post(s)

It isn't that they "don't know God" @darin , it's that they know Him differently than you.

No. it's that they don't know God. there is no wrong way to know God. God is LOVE. When people act outside of Love they are giving the symptom they dont know love - ergo, don't know God.
    “… the greatest detractor from high performance is fear: fear that you are not prepared, fear that you are in over your head, fear that you are not worthy, and ultimately, fear of failure. If you can eliminate that fear—not through arrogance or just wishing difficulties away, but through hard work and preparation—you will put yourself in an incredibly powerful position to take on the challenges you face" - Pete Carroll.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)

I can see this happening. My in-laws go to a very proper Baptist church. Everyone dresses up, listens to the preaching and sings hymns. On the other side of the spectrum, my family attends a non-denominational church where you come as you are. The church has a band and a choir. When the Holy Spirit moves you, it is OK to stand, dance and yell "Amen!" This is why there are different faiths for different people.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    368 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by darin View Post
    No. it's that they don't know God. there is no wrong way to know God. God is LOVE. When people act outside of Love they are giving the symptom they dont know love - ergo, don't know God.
    I see your point, but disagree. People "know God" as they are taught to. "Knowing God" and conforming to accepted norms are two separate things; although, interwoven.

I was taught you dress up in dress clothes (your finest rainments) to go into the Lord's House. Others see it differently. God is love, but also is "all things to all people".

As opposed to the thread title, the woman was not denied a seat in a house of worship. She was simply instructed on how to conduct herself. They don't allow food and drinks in most churches either. Slamming a church for having rules of conduct is going a bit far. We follow rules of conduct the second we step outside our doors, and have to follow some even INSIDE our own walls. It's not a stretch in a society based on rules, and a religion based on rules, that there are rules.

If you don't like a church, go somewhere else. If you are a guest, it is merely displaying one's manners to observe their rules, not bring your own.
    “When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall, one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle.” Edumnd Burke

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)

I see your point, but disagree. People "know God" as they are taught to. "Knowing God" and conforming to accepted norms are two separate things; although, interwoven.

I was taught you dress up in dress clothes (your finest rainments) to go into the Lord's House. Others see it differently. God is love, but also is "all things to all people".

As opposed to the thread title, the woman was not denied a seat in a house of worship. She was simply instructed on how to conduct herself. They don't allow food and drinks in most churches either. Slamming a church for having rules of conduct is going a bit far. We follow rules of conduct the second we step outside our doors, and have to follow some even INSIDE our own walls. It's not a stretch in a society based on rules, and a religion based on rules, that there are rules.

If you don't like a church, go somewhere else. If you are a guest, it is merely displaying one's manners to observe their rules, not bring your own.
    Did anyone ever give a message in tongues in your church?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    368 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Black Diamond View Post
    Did anyone ever give a message in tongues in your church?
    Don't believe in it. I can't imagine what the biddy committee would do if someone did. Probably start fanning themselves and/or faint

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    181 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by darin View Post
    I agree, D. That pastor should have been so happy to see that his church's music moved someone to praise God so deeply. As I mentioned, my current (Baptist) church has some folks that do; most don't. I would be shocked if our pastor told anyone to stop. That is not love, it is judgment, and faith in a straight jacket. And this is a Baptist church in the mid-Atlantic. No hippies here.

The pastor in the OP would do well to remember that David, the "man after God's own heart", danced in worship and joy.
    After the game, the king and the pawn go into the same box - Author unknown

“Unfortunately, the truth is now whatever the media say it is”
    -Abbey

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)

I think a person's relationship with God is a personal one, and you shouldn't be "taught" one way or another on how to express that, or not.

I believe I've been shown a miracle by the Lord because of deep, heart felt prayer, but yet I don't go to church at all. I think God is all around us, all the time, and frankly find it odd that they want you to PAY UP every time you go to church. I don't see heaven as something you have to BUY your way into. I think the Lord knows what's IN YOUR HEART, and that's whats important.

So if you're uncomfortable or feel insulted in a church, find a different one if going to church is important to you, otherwise just don't go. There's nothing wrong with worshiping on your own, alone, in your own way. God knows who and what you are.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    368 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Abbey View Post
    I agree, D. That pastor should have been so happy to see that his church's music moved someone to praise God so deeply. As I mentioned, my current (Baptist) church has some folks that do; most don't. I would be shocked if our pastor told anyone to stop. That is not love, it is judgment, and faith in a straight jacket. And this is a Baptist church in the mid-Atlantic. No hippies here.

The pastor in the OP would do well to remember that David, the "man after God's own heart", danced in worship and joy.
    Seems to me y'all are being judgmental of that pastor/church. Goes both ways

The congregation decides what is acceptable and not. I've never seen a visitor treated that way, but if it is determined that one person's behavior is disrupting the service for all, then I take no issue with that person being asked to comply. That's just common courtesy and that is all the issue amounts to.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)

Seems to me y'all are being judgmental of that pastor/church. Goes both ways

The congregation decides what is acceptable and not. I've never seen a visitor treated that way, but if it is determined that one person's behavior is disrupting the service for all, then I take no issue with that person being asked to comply. That's just common courtesy and that is all the issue amounts to.
    I agree with that bro, but for crying out loud, just raising your arm? Isn't halting the sermon just to excoriate that person a little extreme just for raising your arm? Seems to me it is. I'd have stood up and walked out without being asked to leave, and probably left a few choice words for the preacher on the way out. I'm always kinda skeptical of preachers anyway. It always appears to me that they preach their own interpretation of the Bible, and what they preach they may not live, which makes them a damn hypocrite. Just my two cents.

The Bible says that if you engage in proselytizing to others as though you know the word of God, but then not adhere to your own words, you will be judged more harshly in heaven than someone who didn't.
    Last edited by High_Plains_Drifter; 03-20-2018 at 12:38 PM.