Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    369 Post(s)

Default ISIS Attacks On The Rise In Northern Iraq Despite Declaring Victory Just Last Year

OAN Newsroom
    UPDATED 6:52 AM PT — Wed. March 28, 2018

Terrorist attacks claimed by the Islamic State are on the rise in Iraq.
    After declaring victory over the Islamic State last year, Northern Iraq is reportedly being plagued with small-scale attacks from ISIS terrorists.
    On Tuesday, Iraqi Prime Minister Haider al-Abadi admitted the war is ongoing, and agreed to work with local Kurdish forces in eradicating sleeper cells.
    In the last month, ISIS claimed it killed more than 100 government forces in the country and captured a dozen others. They have claimed six attacks in the past week alone.
    Without territory, the Islamic State is returning to its insurgent roots with many hit and runs as well as ambushes.
    The region of Kurdistan has been particularly affected by attacks as conflicts between Baghdad’s forces and regional militias left some places unprotected. Islamic fighters are taking the opportunity to regroup.
    As Turkey threatens to invade Kurdistan, some local militias have also agreed to withdraw further.
    Other Kurdish groups have left the frontlines in the fight against ISIS to defend ongoing attacks from Turkey in Syria.
    Officials in Kirkuk are pleading with Iraq’s prime minister to take action.
    In a recent briefing, the governor signaled he may be warming up to the idea.
    “This area has not been fully secured and I believe we need to deploy the army, and we have to have defense lines in order to prevent any breach by individuals or vehicles,” urged Rakan Al-Jibouri, Governor of Kirkuk. “In fact, this issue is not taken seriously enough despite the many incidents.”
    Reports say tension between the Kurd’s regional government and Baghdad is likely to continue as the Kurdish independence referendum kicked off a fight for control of air fields, oil exports and territory that the Kurds say was taken under Saddam Hussein.
    Both Kurdistan and Iraq are trying to control the region rich in oil and history as ISIS keeps fighting for foothold after its defeat.
    http://www.oann.com/isis-attacks-on-...aring-victory/

I've said this until I got tired of saying it. Everyone is so busy pissing around in Syria, the elephant in the room has been rebuilding and thanking all the knuckleheads involved for the respite. When the Russians and Syrians and Turks get done jacking around, they can start all over. Again.
    “When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall, one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle.” Edumnd Burke

2. Thanks Kathianne thanked this post
    Likes Kathianne liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gunny View Post

I've said this until I got tired of saying it. Everyone is so busy pissing around in Syria, the elephant in the room has been rebuilding and thanking all the knuckleheads involved for the respite. When the Russians and Syrians and Turks get done jacking around, they can start all over. Again.
    What the hell is wrong with the Iraqis? Why aren't they policing their own nation? Seems to me that if they can't take care of a few pathetic little bands of ISIS, then they don't deserve any help. We can't be there and do their dirty work FOREVER.

4. Likes Elessar liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    369 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by High_Plains_Drifter View Post
    What the hell is wrong with the Iraqis? Why aren't they policing their own nation? Seems to me that if they can't take care of a few pathetic little bands of ISIS, then they don't deserve any help. We can't be there and do their dirty work FOREVER.
    The Iraqi's have no real infrastructure except the one we've propped up since we removed the one they did have.

ISIS is hardly "a few pathetic little bands". They controlled half the country at one point. Until you destroy everything remotely related to the idea of ISIS, it's going to exist. For once, everyone was doing the right thing and focusing on the issue and doing just that when the dipsticks in Syria and that idiot Erdogan in Turkey started using it as a cover for their nefarious schemes.

Not to be outdone in the dumb-shittery ... the US is supporting Syria's attack on ISIS while funding Syria's rebels who want to overthrow Assad. In other words, we're supporting both sides of a war.

My position is we should pull back to the Iraq-Syria border and enforce it, while wiping out the remaining resistance in Iraq. I know. I made a joke. The US enforcing a border. Ought to get a prize or something for THAT one.
    “When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall, one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle.” Edumnd Burke

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)

Anything going on in Northern Iraq one can bet Turkey is behind it. Now with Turkey and Russia, no doubt Iran is involved too.

"The government is a child that has found their parents credit card, and spends knowing that they never have to reconcile the bill with their own money"-Shannon Churchill

7. Thanks Gunny thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    369 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kathianne View Post
    Anything going on in Northern Iraq one can bet Turkey is behind it. Now with Turkey and Russia, no doubt Iran is involved too.
    I think Turkey is on its own. I think they just used to cover of the Syrian civil war to move against the Kurds. They've been wanting to have a go at the YPG since the First Gulf War and we have continually stood in its way.

Syria is Russia's foothold in the Med, and it can overlap its radar in Russia from Syria. Turkey is the only country in its way in the Black, Aegean and Med Seas.

Iran has been cozying up to Russia to umbrella its foothold in Lebanon, and now Syria as well. My best bet is their future doesn't involve Russia any longer than it takes to get what they want. Right now, Russia is a convenient "mother's skirt" for the chihuahua to hide behind. Its end-game is probably still Shia domination of the World.

All I see Russia getting from Iran is oil and a weapons market. I think Russia making a deal with Tehran is about as bright as Russia making a deal with Hitler, but some fools never learn.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    369 Post(s)

On the topic ... I think it is foolish of ANY nation involved to put ISIS on a back burner. It is as dangerous if not moreso than Iran. Both ISIS and Iran should be handled in similar fashion for any chance of re-stabilizing the ME.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)

Never forget Putin is KGB in thinking. He doesn't take others besides US seriously, besides perhaps China.

"The government is a child that has found their parents credit card, and spends knowing that they never have to reconcile the bill with their own money"-Shannon Churchill

11. Thanks Gunny thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    369 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kathianne View Post
    Never forget Putin is KGB in thinking. He doesn't take others besides US seriously, besides perhaps China.
    Oh I'm quite sure Putin thinks he's playing Iran. As I mentioned in another thread, he seems almost child-like in his thinking. Granted, a child with nukes, but still, REALLY juvenile.

Remember the Twilight Zone episode where Billy Mummy kept wishing everyone into the cornfield? A child's mind, but deadly consequences for those who disagreed with him.

13. Thanks Kathianne thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)

My position is we should pull back to the Iraq-Syria border and enforce it, while wiping out the remaining resistance in Iraq. I know. I made a joke. The US enforcing a border. Ought to get a prize or something for THAT one.
    I totally agree with that premise.

Dad was over there in the 60's. He told me that the USA had NO BUSINESS trying to solve a tribal
    and religious sect battle that has gone on for centuries.

Yeah, you get a prize, for making the unintended notion that WE have to secure
    OUR Borders before we worry about those heathens. Even then, let them kill each other off.
    I have lost my mind. If found, please give it a snack and return it?

"I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same of others"...John Wayne in "The Shootist"

A Deplorable!

15. Thanks Gunny thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    369 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Elessar View Post
    I totally agree with that premise.

Dad was over there in the 60's. He told me that the USA had NO BUSINESS trying to solve a tribal
    and religious sect battle that has gone on for centuries.

Yeah, you get a prize, for making the unintended notion that WE have to secure
    OUR Borders before we worry about those heathens. Even then, let them kill each other off.
    I lived there in the 60s. Spent a LOT of time in the 80s and 90s there. Your dad is right. We just give them something to shoot at besides each other. They're always fighting about something.

Since we ARE there, we need to play it smart. Syria is a powderkeg with too many fish in a tint fishbowl. We have a reason to back off to our line and man it and let them piss all over each other.

Our government politicians need to get it through their heads that Assad is a Russian puppet as was his father before him. Forget that regime change bullshit. It's called meddling from any other POV.

17. Likes Elessar liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)

I lived there in the 60s. Spent a LOT of time in the 80s and 90s there. Your dad is right. We just give them something to shoot at besides each other. They're always fighting about something.

Since we ARE there, we need to play it smart. Syria is a powderkeg with too many fish in a tint fishbowl. We have a reason to back off to our line and man it and let them piss all over each other.

Our government politicians need to get it through their heads that Assad is a Russian puppet as was his father before him. Forget that regime change bullshit. It's called meddling from any other POV.
    You are absolutely correct.
    USA withdraw to the border and watch those heathen animals eat each other up.
    I have lost my mind. If found, please give it a snack and return it?

"I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same of others"...John Wayne in "The Shootist"

A Deplorable!