Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)

Default The last one

In 1972 I joined the US Coast Guard. Out of Boot, I was sent to the Cutter SHERMAN (WHEC 720). Launched in 1967 she was considered "new" and was large by our class of cutters.

In 1970, She was assigned to Coast Guard Squadron Three in Vietnam. Her tasking during the conflict was primarily in support of Operation Market Time (1), which involved sorting through hundreds of small vessels off the Vietnamese coast in search of enemy weapons smugglers.

Her crew inspected some 900 vessels during her 10-month tour in Southeast Asia. The old 5” gun (now replaced by a 76mm mount) answered 152 calls for naval gunfire support, including a running fight on the night of 21 November 1970 which resulted in sinking the North Vietnamese armed freighter SL-3, which was carrying tons of enemy munitions.

She was decommissioned in Honolulu yesterday. The last remaining active Coast Guard Cutter to have sunk an enemy ship in combat.

Her fate (to me) seems ironic. She is to be transferred to the Vietnamese Navy.

(1)
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Market_Time
    Every day I beat my previous record of consecutive days I've stayed alive.

2. Thanks Gunny, Elessar, LongTermGuy thanked this post
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    139 Post(s)

God bless that vessel and its past crew. Hooah.
    “… the greatest detractor from high performance is fear: fear that you are not prepared, fear that you are in over your head, fear that you are not worthy, and ultimately, fear of failure. If you can eliminate that fear—not through arrogance or just wishing difficulties away, but through hard work and preparation—you will put yourself in an incredibly powerful position to take on the challenges you face" - Pete Carroll.

4. Thanks Bilgerat, LongTermGuy thanked this post
    Likes Elessar liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Bilgerat View Post

In 1972 I joined the US Coast Guard. Out of Boot, I was sent to the Cutter SHERMAN (WHEC 720). Launched in 1967 she was considered "new" and was large by our class of cutters.

In 1970, She was assigned to Coast Guard Squadron Three in Vietnam. Her tasking during the conflict was primarily in support of Operation Market Time (1), which involved sorting through hundreds of small vessels off the Vietnamese coast in search of enemy weapons smugglers.

Her crew inspected some 900 vessels during her 10-month tour in Southeast Asia. The old 5” gun (now replaced by a 76mm mount) answered 152 calls for naval gunfire support, including a running fight on the night of 21 November 1970 which resulted in sinking the North Vietnamese armed freighter SL-3, which was carrying tons of enemy munitions.

She was decommissioned in Honolulu yesterday. The last remaining active Coast Guard Cutter to have sunk an enemy ship in combat.

Her fate (to me) seems ironic. She is to be transferred to the Vietnamese Navy.

(1)
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Market_Time
    The end of an era, Bilge. The 378's and 210's are worn out. It is an amazing tribute to our Engineers and Deckies
    that kept them functioning for so long, facing trimmed budgets, restrictive re-furbishing.

https://content.govdelivery.com/acco...letins/1e5f75a
    I have lost my mind. If found, please give it a snack and return it?

"I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same of others"...John Wayne in "The Shootist"

A Deplorable!

6. Thanks Bilgerat, LongTermGuy thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Elessar View Post
    The end of an era, Bilge. The 378's and 210's are worn out. It is an amazing tribute to our Engineers and Deckies
    that kept them functioning for so long, facing trimmed budgets, restrictive re-furbishing.

https://content.govdelivery.com/acco...letins/1e5f75a
    While on Bravo, we lost one of the MDE's. They shipped to Newfie what we needed (but didn't have enough of) and we picked up the parts. Left Newfie on the "birds" and headed home to Boston.

While underway, we completed repairs to the MDE and pulled in on them. Main Control got back to back 72 hr libo and I slept thru most of the first one (lol)
    Every day I beat my previous record of consecutive days I've stayed alive.

8. Thanks Elessar, LongTermGuy thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Bilgerat View Post
    While on Bravo, we lost one of the MDE's. They shipped to Newfie what we needed (but didn't have enough of) and we picked up the parts. Left Newfie on the "birds" and headed home to Boston.

While underway, we completed repairs to the MDE and pulled in on them. Main Control got back to back 72 hr libo and I slept thru most of the first one (lol)
    I never wanted to piss off my small boat engineer! Together, we made that thing
    function beautifully!

On the Venturous, same damn thing. The Snipe was a Boatswain's best friend!
    I have lost my mind. If found, please give it a snack and return it?

"I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same of others"...John Wayne in "The Shootist"

A Deplorable!